Author Topic: Brisket in SV  (Read 4704 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Brisket in SV
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »
For red meats I like to Sous Vide for 2 hours per inch of thickness. So...If you have 2" thick steaks or chops...4 hours.

Thanks, but I don't think that will work with Brisket, most say 24 hours minimum to get them tender.

YOU are correct...I "rushed" the thought..... ;D Ka Honu knows how long he soaks in the hot tub - so as to "get tender" ( or...is that "tinder?" ;) ;) ;) :D ) and he is a tough 'ole hunk 'o gristle..... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 09:52:46 PM »
Ha Honu, what temp are you cooking brisket at while smoking? The 275 that kenji recommends?

If we're still talking about finishing a sous vide brisket on the grill, his recommendation of 275-300°F is good. Remember, the brisket is already cooked and tender; at this point you're looking for smoke and bark so the hotter (than the traditional 200-225°F) temps are fine.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 10:45:10 AM »
Have cooked ribs a few  times SV with  pretty good results  have been meaning to try a smaller packer  sometime.

Just came across some info from a Facebook group  "Cooking with Joule"  where somebody did one, he has a great write up in the File section for the group were he details  every step of the process, from dry brining to the  different SV temps, and times  and then the finish on the smoker. 

I think its titled "Adventures with brisket"    definitely worth a  read
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline zueth

Brisket in SV
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
Have cooked ribs a few  times SV with  pretty good results  have been meaning to try a smaller packer  sometime.

Just came across some info from a Facebook group  "Cooking with Joule"  where somebody did one, he has a great write up in the File section for the group were he details  every step of the process, from dry brining to the  different SV temps, and times  and then the finish on the smoker. 

I am not on FB is there a way to access it without using FB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »

Try this link:
https://bn-in.facebook.com/notes/cook-with-joule/adventures-with-brisket-by-james-stewart/1797604967196051/

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 03:13:17 PM »

Try this link:
https://bn-in.facebook.com/notes/cook-with-joule/adventures-with-brisket-by-james-stewart/1797604967196051/

:thumbup:
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano