Author Topic: 1st attempt at Sous Vide Ribs  (Read 1043 times)

Offline zueth

1st attempt at Sous Vide Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »
Had some baby back ribs from Costco, so I rubbed them with some head country and vacuum packed them, then put them in the fridge over night. The next day I heated up sous vide to 140, when it canine to heat I put the ribs in for a 36 hour soak. After 36 hours I pulled them and put them in a ice bath, after 30 minutes they went into the fridge for a few days. Tonight I Heated up Bradley on highest setting, then put in ribs and smoked with hickory for 1 hour @ about 220-230. I pulled them after 20 minutes and slathered with BBQ sauce then cooked another 20 and slathered again, then cooked for another 40 minutes, so they ended up being in smoker for 1 hour and 20 minutes. The ribs were very tender but still had to bite off the bone, how I like them, you could actually just pull off with fingers. It was a nice treat to have ribs on a weeknight instead of weekend and to only have to cook for just over a hour. Will definitely do again and maybe experiment with time in hot bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ka Honu

Re: 1st attempt at Sous Vide Ribs
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
Glad it worked out. You rarely go wrong following Kenji's advice/principles and adapting them to your taste and cookers.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline zueth

1st attempt at Sous Vide Ribs
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:16 AM »
Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »
Ribs look darn good.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »
A lot of hard work, but those ribs look good.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
Quite a process but the ribs looks great.  Nice choice for the side too - must have felt a little like summer with that meal  :D
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:18:01 PM »
Quite a process ...
The advantage of making a several racks of ribs all at once and freezing them in serving-sized portions for a short freezer-to-table time later makes it worthwhile.

Just sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline zueth

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:57 PM »
Quite a process ...
The advantage of making a several racks of ribs all at once and freezing them in serving-sized portions for a short freezer-to-table time later makes it worthwhile.

Just sayin'...

Exactly, I see myself doing this in the future, just wanted to get the process figured out and it is not hard to put a chunk of meat in a sous vide for 36 hours, you just put it in and pull it out when done.  I have not had to add water once yet.

I really like the idea of having a rack of ribs I can pull out of deep freeze and eat that night after cooking for 1 hour.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:00:46 PM »
A lot of hard work, but those ribs look good.

I think that your comment reflects the sentiment that is held by many that may not have tried Sous Vide yet. And it is understandable. Yes...the cooking time is extended. But - the actual "active time" requiring you to to interact with the meat is really no more than traditions cook. the many hours in between are completely hands off, or "passive time".
So, it is really not much more work - if any - vs other methods. It just requires longer planning ahead.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401