Welcome Center > New Member Introductions

New Member from the Keystone State

(1/5) > >>

svickstc:
Hey everyone,

I am glad to finally be apart of the Forum after lurking for a little. I got in to bbq about 1.5 years ago with a basic charcoal kettle, upgraded to a cheap offset smoker to get me going for a little, with the want of always having a pellet grill, but was always out of my reach.

As much as I enjoy the process of using an offset smoker it sure does have its pros and cons as a new bbq explorer. It was tough for me to get consistent results (a lot may have to do with the various cuts of meats I tried aka from one rack of ribs to another brand)

Well the time has finally come I purchased a camp chef smoke pro dlx to add to the Arsenal and put a Savannah stoker v4.5 PID controller on it after a week of using the stock controller to check function for warranty cases. Also waiting on a insulation blanket to help with low ambient temps here in the Keystone State. I was looking at traegers smaller models but for the price and research and plan to upgrade to a PID controller right away I couldn’t keep help coming back to the camp chef in my search. Also plan to add the searing station to the side another feature i liked.

The pellet smoker has almost been learning all over again with temps/timing etc than what I am accustomed too with my offset smoker or charcoal but again i have truly found a passion in learning and trying all new things on the grills.

Actually attempting my first boneless pork shoulder today, set it for 240 degrees and going to let it hit 165 and wrap til 205. With a long rest period. I did a simple injection of just Apple juice and cider vinager. And used meat church honey hog on top.

I’m using to spraying ribs down on the hour but with pork shoulder I hear you want to not peek so often so I don’t plan at taking my first look almost 2.5-3 hours in, does that sound right?

Only doing a small one to start it’s 3lbs but thick so planning for longer than expected as it seems to be the case when I read others stories online.  I’m using a competition blend pellets

Can’t wait to learn more about the Savannah stoker v4.5 and how to fine tune this

TMB:
Welcome to the forum from Alabama

smokeasaurus:
If you are looking you are not cooking.

Spritzing I think is a waste of time. You are cooling down the surface of your meat everytime you spritz. You are also going to extend your cooking time due to opening up the pit door. You will also use more pellets during the cook.

Pellet grills produce plenty of moisture.  forgot to mention that spritzing can impede that wonderful crusty bark that will form.

I don't spritz but some do.

Welcome from Central Texas.

sparky:
Welcome from northern Cali.   

HighOnSmoke:
Welcome from SE Georgia!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version