FORUM SPONSORS > Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

lump vs briquettes

(1/2) > >>

jeffncris:
Hi guys,
   where I live (Portugal) lump is MUCH cheaper than briquettes. Any of you guys use lump, and if so, how exactly? I'd love to get some tips so I can save a few bucks! Thanks in advance!

jeffncris

tlg4942:
  Lump burns a little hotter but no big deal.  The best way is to use some a few times. cook some simple things at first and move into the longer cooks.  You will get the feel for it and you might even like it better . I know I do....

Pit Barrel Cooker Co.:
Great advice from Tig4942.

phoccer:
Since it runs hotter, do you adjust your intake setting down to accommodate? So if KBB runs great with the vent set at 1/4 do you adjust the vent to 1/8 to run lump?

teesquare:

--- Quote from: phoccer on March 02, 2018, 06:00:11 PM ---Since it runs hotter, do you adjust your intake setting down to accommodate? So if KBB runs great with the vent set at 1/4 do you adjust the vent to 1/8 to run lump?

--- End quote ---

It depends on how temperature sensitive you believe what you are cooking really is. I can see that some folks really want keep the temps lower, for longer periods of time...with very thick portions of meat  so as to get the interior of the meat up to temperature, while not over-cooking the outside. (think about boston butts, briskets, and they like...)

Do you have a digital - remote thermostat that you can leave the probe in place, and measure temperature changes while you run the pit? If not I HIGHLY recommend that you get one. It will help you know for a certainty what temperature changes your adjustments int he vent will yield - in real time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version