Author Topic: This hamburger was gooder  (Read 824 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
This hamburger was gooder
« Reply #-1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:44 AM »
For years I have been using 80/20 ground beef for my burgers because everything I read, heard and saw said the fat would give it more flavor.  Lately, my hamburgers have not been as good as I would like.  It could be  as a result of overmixing  or the meat or some other things.  Well, the other day I bought 1 1/2 pounds of 90/10, mixed in one strip of thick Wrights bacon chopped and some of Phil's Awake-a-Steak and LIGHTLY mixed them into about 3/4'' inch patties and then grilled them.  They were much better than my previous burgers.  I guess from now on I'll use 90/10 with some bacon chopped up in it.  I have also toyed with the idea of grinding my own meat but have not pulled the trigger on that yet.  Not sure how much I'd use a grinder.  I guess I could also use it for spaghetti, chili, and don't know what else.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Barry CB Martin

Re: This hamburger was gooder
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
mixed in one strip of thick Wrights bacon

Dee ---- you kill me!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:58:15 AM »
[shakes head]
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
Well lets see 90-10 meat instead of 80-20 but add a strip of Writes bacon (my favorite by the way  :D

That should equal 70-30 meat!!!     :D      Saving on the fat Dee??
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »
I don't think it was saving on fat per se (that's something that Barry would say whilst he was saying sumptin') but just trying to change texture.  I think the fat in the bacon may add a better flavor than the fat in the beef.  Of course, everything with bacon in it tastes gooder than without it.  I think adding sausage is a really good idea also.  Jimmy Dean maybe the best out there that is widely available commercially.  I now also use the sandwich thins that I toast on the grill with my burgers and that gives me more tasting of what is inside of the sandwich/burger  rather than the bun.  I really can't think of a sandwich that is more versatile and has more potential variety in fixins than a hamburger.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »
I have also mixed some left over pulled pork into the meat before cooking and that made for one fantastic burger!

Dee you can almost never go wrong with bacon ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven