Author Topic: Hamburger steak qualify as steak?  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Albert Rivera

• Albert is a"Foodie"
Hamburger steak qualify as steak?
« Reply #-1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:51:28 PM »
Not quite sure I am in the proper topic classification.

Tonight, I will be preparing hamburger steak with gravy and onions with corn and mashed potatoes.

Not fancy, but better than any restaurant would prepare!

No fuss, no muss, easy prep/ cleanup.

Love my grill!

Sylvia and I are going to see the new release of the "Lone Ranger" for the 4th.

My Son-In-Law is a natural with the grill and I turned the menu and cooking over to him on the 5th he will be doing double duty because he will be cooking at his mom's house on the 4th.

I can only imagine how much better he would become if he were to spend some time with "Old Dave" or "Muebe".

I am very thankful for all the useful advice and help I have received from all you guys.

Happy 4th, may we all count our blessings to be part of such a wonderful country.

God bless you,
Albert

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Hamburger steak qualify as steak?
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »
A very happy "4th" to you, Albert. We are truly blessed to be a part of this country!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:49 PM »
Happy 4th Albert and hamburger steak sounds good right now!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »
Happy 4th Albrt, like muebe hamburger steak sounds good right now
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 10:19:28 PM »
Hamburger steak, gravy and onions and mashed potatoes? Albert, are you sure you weren't born in Alabama? That is one of my favorite meals. A piece of cornbread crumbled up in a glass of ice cold buttermilk for desert and I would be a happy man.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
Sounds like a winner to me.
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Hamburger steak is one of my all-time favorites.  I use 80/20 ground chuck and make two regular hamburger sandwich sized patties.  Then I top one with chopped onions, some fresh ground black pepper and a dash of Worcestershire.  Next, I press the remaining patty down over it and seal the edges so that I wind up with a meal-sized hamburger steak stuffed with peppery onions and some flavor kick.  I grill this until I can smell the onionscooking -- this gives me a medium to medium well hamburger steak.  Sometimes I top it with some good sharp cheddar or maybe swiss cheese.  Goes well with mashed potatoes and gravy, of course plus maybe an ear of grilled corn.  Should also be served with a diet coke on the side to offset the calories  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »
Hamburger steak is one of my all-time favorites.  I use 80/20 ground chuck and make two regular hamburger sandwich sized patties.  Then I top one with chopped onions, some fresh ground black pepper and a dash of Worcestershire.  Next, I press the remaining patty down over it and seal the edges so that I wind up with a meal-sized hamburger steak stuffed with peppery onions and some flavor kick.  I grill this until I can smell the onionscooking -- this gives me a medium to medium well hamburger steak.  Sometimes I top it with some good sharp cheddar or maybe swiss cheese.  Goes well with mashed potatoes and gravy, of course plus maybe an ear of grilled corn.  Should also be served with a diet coke on the side to offset the calories  ::)

Hub

Oh man that sounds good!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
Is Hamburger steak similar to Salisbury steak?  I LOVE smoked Salisbury Steak!!!  8)

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 04:34:31 PM »

Hub

Nothing so fancy, but got back late last night from another softball tournament and I was hungry (Karen & Emma stopped for McDonalds on the way home...) I was in the mood for a juicy burger, but didn't want to get the charcoal going at midnight. So, this would be a pan fry. Thought about Albert's hamburger steak and Hub's mod's... But I like a Juicy Lucy as well. So, I made a combo of all these. About 1/3# 80/20 ground chuck divided in two. On the bottom half - some chopped onions, Worcestershire, W.O.W. rub, ground pepper, cooked bacon, and sharp cheddar cheese. Topped with the other patty and more W.O.W. Pinched to seal the edges and slipped into some med-hot oil. Let a crust develop and flipped. When it was time to "dress" I realized all I had on hand was a tomato from the garden. But, as it turned out - that was just right.

Oh, BTW - got the Fuji X10 back from the repair guy - not a unicorn cook this time.

Way too much description for a simple stuffed burger, but I had to set up the pictures...  ;) ;D ;D

David

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Hamburger steak qualify as steak?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 04:50:09 PM »
You hide the bacon inside too? Looks excellent!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
Yep, the bacon was inside. Thought about tucking the tomatoes and pickles in there as well - maybe next time. Thanks!
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 05:18:16 PM »
Hey I do love a good Salisbury Steak now and then.

As far as does it classify as a real steak? I say sure; why not?  I guess it depends on how you cook & eat it.  You ever try to eat a chuck steak before it's been ground?
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Albert Rivera

• Albert is a"Foodie"
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
Nice, nice, nice!

Folk, good is good!

Like ole' CB says " if you like it and the folk you served liked it, then it was done right"

It just keeps getting better and easier to do; doesn't it! :)
God bless you,
Albert

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 12:44:10 AM »
Very Nice! Dave and Hub, those are some great mods to the old classic. Hamburger steak IS STEAK! Especially the way things are getting lately at the super market... the price keeps skyrocketing for steak, but what really bothers me is the face that the quality (at least around here) has really dropped. We're paying more and enjoying it less.  >:(  It's hard to even find a ribeye (my favorite, go to steak) that isn't full of Grissel. I like a well marbled steak, but fat and grissel is NOT marbeling. I digress. YES, I've been doing more Hamburger steak lately, so keep these awesome posts with all the neat mods coming!  :P :)
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas