Author Topic: another tri-tip cooked like a brisket  (Read 4469 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: another tri-tip cooked like a brisket
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
Nothing on this forum causes more controversy and fear than the Trisket.......with Tendarub a close second.......... :D

ummmm... weren't both of those instigated by muebe? Just askin'...  ;) ;D

Oh wait...  8) Tendarub was a "Smoke" thang... right?   ;) :o ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
I never heard of a tri-tip till I started hanging around here. It's my go to chunk of beef now! I cook low and slow till its done.. is that considered trisket style?
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline RAD

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »
The tri is great. It's a little $$$ around here but still great. I like it grilled MR. But haven't tried the trisket yet.
Love to cook and eat

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 08:40:29 PM »
I never heard of a tri-tip till I started hanging around here. It's my go to chunk of beef now! I cook low and slow till its done.. is that considered trisket style?

Ya gotta cook it to 200 internal. Cook it just like you would a brisket.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 12:18:28 AM »
Simply fabulous. Love it!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 12:25:18 AM »
The Tri Tip is so good that I bought two more this past Wednesday.

However, I am hesitant to cook a fine piece of meat like this over 130 degrees internal temperature when it turns out to be excellent cooked to be rare to medium rare. I realize that slow cooking will bring this meat to the point where it will shred and for some this will be very tasty. But, Sirloin, especially this cut is very tender and tasty and one of the best cuts of steak or roast beef as the case may be.

I think for now, that we will stick with rare to medium rare.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 01:01:34 AM »
I felt the same way as Ed. It was actually Jim(Jim's Barbeque) who told me about cooking the Tri-tip like this. He told me he has made them this way for years and his family loves it. I trust his judgement and decided to reluctantly give it a try. I was amazed at how moist and tender it turned out.

I have made hundreds of Tri-tips over the years and just a handful of triskets. I actually prefer the Trisket myself when it is done right. Not that regular cooked Tri-tip is not great but IMHO the Trisket is a little bit better.

So I offer the people who are naysayers a challenge. Give the Trisket a try one time. Those who have actually tried a Trisket can give a true opinion. Then if you try it and don't like it then so be it. So far I have found that everyone who has tried it has really liked it.

You might be surprised on how good it really is ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:44 AM »
I felt the same way as Ed. It was actually Jim(Jim's Barbeque) who told me about cooking the Tri-tip like this. He told me he has made them this way for years and his family loves it. I trust his judgement and decided to reluctantly give it a try. I was amazed at how moist and tender it turned out.

I have made hundreds of Tri-tips over the years and just a handful of triskets. I actually prefer the Trisket myself when it is done right. Not that regular cooked Tri-tip is not great but IMHO the Trisket is a little bit better.

So I offer the people who are naysayers a challenge. Give the Trisket a try one time. Those who have actually tried a Trisket can give a true opinion. Then if you try it and don't like it then so be it. So far I have found that everyone who has tried it has really liked it.

I got your back Muebe, I double the challenge...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 11:40:52 AM »
Gata do it at least once. They are pretty darn good this way.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 10:24:15 AM »

I have one in the freezer...challenge accepted!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »

I have one in the freezer...challenge accepted!

You da Man Scally.......get ready for some good eats......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven