Author Topic: Mid-South Steak Cook-Off  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Palmyrasteak

Mid-South Steak Cook-Off
« Reply #-1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:29:25 PM »
Hey everybody! Saturday, October 19 we will be in West Memphis. If anybody wants to fire up the grill and do a steak cook-off, it is at Southland park. We have done this one twice, and had a blast both times! $7,500 in cash and the fun is priceless!  If your in the area, stop by and say howdy. Or better yet, sign up for the cook-off. You might just cook the winning steak and take home the cash  :) :) :) :) ;)
The 2013 Mid-South Great Steak Cook-Off... See yall there!!!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Mid-South Steak Cook-Off
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:35:42 AM »
Best of luck!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
Well, we came in 20th out of 56 or 58 teams  :). I can't remember now for sure how many teams showed up. My computer has been down until today. But anyway... We had a BLAST doing the Memphis cook-off. One of my friends, Johnny Joseph, with Milam Construction from Louisiana was the winner. Our competitions for this year are over. Only a few special events left to cook for in November. Now we just practice all we can for the 2014 season!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
Sounds like a great time.  Until next year...
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »
I bet those were some Awesome steaks. Congrats on placing in the top 20!!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:22:25 PM »
Great job on you placing!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »
What are some tips on preping and cooking steaks you can pass on to us?  Also, what are some common mistakes the backyard cooks make?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »
I bet those were some Awesome steaks. Congrats on placing in the top 20!!

X2!

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
Hey Dee and pz. I let my steaks get to room temp before grilling. Season both sides with whatever you like. I use Tatonka Dust from Owens bbq. I found them one this site! Anyway, I season them with Tatonka Dust and let them sit for about an hour or so. Get the grill HOT! About 800 at the grates. Put the steaks on for 2 1/2 min then spin it 1/4 of a turn ( this will get the nice cross marks) let it cook for another 2 1/2 min. After this, flip it over and cook for another 5 min. With a ribeye 1 1/4 thick, this should be cooked close to medium. Let it rest for about 3 to 5 min and ENJOY!
I think a good steak should have a seasoning that COMPLIMENTS the beef flavor, not cover it up. I think some people use a really good seasoning but they use way too much and it takes away from the steak. I guess if you ask 10 people you would get 10 different answers about cooking steak. Anyway, this is the way I do it. Hope this helps  :)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »
Palm,  Thanks.  One of the things I've learned here is to season your steak and leave it out for a long period of time to let the seasonings do their thing. I can get 800* + on my Char Broil Quantum.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers