Author Topic: Cold Smoked Cheese  (Read 14965 times)

Offline Saber 4

Re: Cold Smoked Cheese
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
All of it looks great, I give mine 1-3 hours on the counter to bloom then into the fridge for an hour to firm up before I vac seal them. I don't wipe mine, the vac sealing seems to allow it to merge back into the cheese.

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
let them on the counter now in the outside icebox to firm before sealing.

Love to cook and eat

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »
Looks like you got some great color, you may have been pushing the envelope on cabinet temp, cheesesickles aren't pretty. :)

Offline RAD

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
Looks like you got some great color, you may have been pushing the envelope on cabinet temp, cheesesickles aren't pretty. :)
Good eye. The Monterey Jack got a little hot (cheesecickles). I didn't use any heat just the smoke tube and thought it was cool enough out today not to worry about it and add an offset cold smoker. All in all it turned out. 
Love to cook and eat

Offline RAD

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
couldn't wait any longer. 1st batch on 1/18 was read for a taste. Went with the Pepper Jack and it was really good. I am glad I went with second batch because I don't know if I will have anymore cold days left to make another batch without an offset method.

Love to cook and eat

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 06:01:22 PM »
Looks good,once you start cheeses hard to stop.

Ive done my share of midnight smoking looking for those cool temps.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 11:16:59 PM »
I just got my A-MAZE-N smoker delivered today and the first thing I want to do is cheese.  Lot of great advice in this thread.....Thanks to everyone that contributed.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline RAD

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 04:28:31 PM »
I've also seen some put a bowl of ice in the smoker to help keep the temp down.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 04:40:13 PM »

I saw that too and I read that cold smoking cheese should be done when outdoor temps are below 90F.  That means I've got a long wait to cold smoke cheese in the Las Vegas desert or else I better do it between midnight and five in the morning.  ::)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »

I saw that too and I read that cold smoking cheese should be done when outdoor temps are below 90F.  That means I've got a long wait to cold smoke cheese in the Las Vegas desert or else I better do it between midnight and five in the morning.  ::)

As long as you can keep your cabinet temp below 90 F you will be ok, depending on your setup there are ways to cool the smoke before it get's to the cheese. I've found that if it's to cool you don't get good smoke penetration and color.

Offline RAD

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »

As long as you can keep your cabinet temp below 90 F you will be ok, depending on your setup there are ways to cool the smoke before it get's to the cheese. I've found that if it's to cool you don't get good smoke penetration and color.
Thanks - I didn't realize if it's too cold that you don't get a good smoke. Great info.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 01:01:37 PM »

Thanks for the tip, I may do a dry run under my patio in the shade in the morning, my patio faces west, to see if I can keep it under 90F in this heat.   I'm thinking of using the A-Maze-N tube in my WSM and fill the water pan with ice water,  we'll see how that works. 
----------------------

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »
A milk jug or soda bottle filled with water and frozen will also work well and doesn't add as much moisture to the cabinet as a pan of melting ice will do. I've used my tube in the Bradley a few times and it worked as long as I kept plenty of ice in it and cracked the door if it got to hot.

Offline RAD

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »
LVC, don't forget that the tube was also produce heat.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 11:27:23 AM »
LVC, don't forget that the tube was also produce heat.

Yeah I realize that, I'm hoping that placing the tube under the pan of ice water will do the trick. 
----------------------