Author Topic: Trophy Winnin' Pulled Pork!  (Read 29601 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Trophy Winnin' Pulled Pork!
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 12:37:48 AM »
220 degrees? That seems high. You still using that slow green thermopen? ???

LOL - I DO use the super fast British Racing Green Thermopen. But this was my brother's cook. He had some goofy Apple app for his iPhone... have no idea what sort of probe he was using. I was in charge of the unicorn salads, unicorn beans, and unicorn pineapple upside down cake...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2014, 12:39:17 AM »
That's some great looking PP David, nicely done.  ;)

Thanks LVC!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
Trying 2 butts again this week.  Staying true to t's injection recipe, but with plowboys yardbird on one and goldenflake sweetheat on the other...couldnt get my FSB order in on time.  3 day rest started yesterday.  I will smoke them wednesday evening. 
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »
The real variable will be the salt content of the other rubs. FSB is not a high salt rub, so the injection recipe is adjusted for that. Taste as you mix!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »
I used the yardbird in the injection.  It has 3% sodium so hopefully it wont be too salty.  This will be a good test as the folks at work had the fsb pork last go round and have been raving about it.  Had to get rid of some other seasonings to make room for fsb...
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline hikerman

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
Tim this looks and sounds great!
Thanks for sharing your trophy winning recipe!
I'm going to give this recipe a go, and treat the contractors who've been working on our house to a good ol'  bbq feast on Friday. Pellet grilled pulled pork, PBC chicken, and all the fixins. Maybe a beverage or two as well!

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 08:37:57 PM »
I'm going to give this recipe a go, and treat the contractors who've been working on our house to a good ol'  bbq feast on Friday. Pellet grilled pulled pork, PBC chicken, and all the fixins. Maybe a beverage or two as well!

I wish I was one of those contractors working on your house, sounds like it's gonna be a great feast.  ;D
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 01:01:57 AM »
Thanks for all the info T!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Curtislowe

• WOW Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »
Prepared 2 butts according to tee's recipe.  Now for the 3 day rest. 
PBC
SMOKIN-IT # 1
PK 360
GRILL GRATES
DorkFood DSV
Savor Spices

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »

Most welcome Don!
You certainly provide us all with some wonderful cooks....this seems to be a pittance by comparison ;D

Always welcome Gene! I hope it goes great for you. Take some pics and let us know please!

And - Curtis Lowe...you too! looking forward to the finished pics as well ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »

Most welcome Don!
You certainly provide us all with some wonderful cooks....this seems to be a pittance by comparison ;D

Always welcome Gene! I hope it goes great for you. Take some pics and let us know please!

And - Curtis Lowe...you too! looking forward to the finished pics as well ;)

Tim this was the best PP I have ever made, and tasted for that matter!  Thank you much for your recipe!
It was an extremely hectic day and I don't have but two pics of the cooking butts and chicken. Sorry!!!
But everyone who had the PP and the PBC chicken said it was by far the best they've ever had!
This will be my go-to recipe for PP from now on!

[attachments deleted after 6 months]

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
Great looking pork and birds Gene, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
Thanks Gene...but YOU did all of the real work there my friend - and it shows beautifully! Really good looking oink and cluck!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline solobaric

Trophy Winnin' Pulled Pork!
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 08:27:20 AM »
Going to follow this recipe to a tee (get it?:D) this weekend. Just to make sure, you don't foil this at any point during the actual cook? And when should I start mopping and how often? Thanks.
Traeger Little Texas Elite

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 09:19:31 AM »
I did not foil. But, you could...it would affect the outcome in 2 ways:

1. Your "bark" would soften, and be more tender.  If you are going to pull it and mix it all together, you may not notice much difference. It you are a "barkaholic ;D" like some of us - you may miss it a little. Foiling can be done to steam/braise a piece of meat resulting in better moisture retention (usually not a problem with a pork butt due to the fats thru out the meat ) and tenderness ( also - not a problem if you probe it for doneness. Use an IT of 205F as a guideline for doneness for pulled pork.

2. Foiling will prevent you from mopping as often or as easily ( and, I like mopping/basting every 20-30 minutes once the pork reaches approx. 150F IT ) Up until then, it is trying to absorb smoke, and I do not want to interfere with that.)

Because there are benefits and drawbacks from foiling - you may want to consider a compromise. Perhaps try this?: Once the pork reaches 150F or so - put it in a roasting pan  -  then you can make a foil "lid"and you can baste and re-cover easier. As well - you can decide if you want to leave it uncovered to finish so that you get the exterior color/bark that you want. And, if you foil line the pan - you make the cleaning of the pan a snap, and you have kept all of the mess contained, so you don't shellac you grill with the basting juices. :)

Any way you do it - you will like it I will bet. ;) Don't underestimate the effect of the injection and rest in the fridge for 2-3 days. It really does make a difference. The multiple day rest is not something that can be done in a competition or restaurant - due to time/rules- but, at home YOU have un-limited license to experiment, and have fun ;D.

So - don't worry about following the recipe to a "tee" :D....It can be your recipe if you you customize it for your tastes. All I have done is provide an outline that you could follow if you like.
Please share your results with us!
T
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401