Author Topic: Jerky on the PBC  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Parson

Jerky on the PBC
« Reply #-1 on: October 04, 2016, 07:52:20 PM »
So I read somewhere (possibly even here?) that the PBC really isn't able to do a snake/fuse charcoal burn AND sustain that burn at low temperatures. I was intent on making jerky, so I had to find out if it could or not. Several weeks ago I did an empty barrel test burn (yeah, I'm nerdy that way) and here are my findings:

Testing on a 65 degree day -
+  single row of fuse method charcoal - holds steady at about 115º
+  double row, side by side, of fuse method charcoal - holds steady at about 145º
+ triple row, pyramid style, of fuse method charcoal - holds steady at about 160º, perfect for jerky

Introducing the AMAZEN pellet smoker raised the temperature a mere degree or two, but even if it had raised it more significantly, its such a short burn it wouldn't make too much difference. I burned 3" of pellets so as not to oversmoke the jerky.

Jerky was skewered and hung between the rebar. Worked beautifully and the results were better than expected. I didn't even think to take any pictures, but I'm planning to do another batch soon, so I'll snap some then. Hopefully this will help someone out in the future.
Parson
    +
Pit Barrel
COS
Thermopen
Chef Alarm
Amazen Smoker Tube

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Jerky on the PBC
« on: October 05, 2016, 07:16:17 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759