Author Topic: Thanksgiving and smokin a bird question  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
Re: Thanksgiving and smokin a bird question
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 08:13:44 AM »

Just FYI....... A lot of people buy turkeys that say "Fresh" and they are thawed but actually have been frozen and are thawed for convenience purposes. Most turkeys from major turkey providers are always frozen.
There's nothing wrong with a frozen turkey and in fact there's less chance of bacteria forming in a frozen and properly thawed turkey than a "Fresh" one.
Now if you have a local farmer that raises turkeys and slaughters to order that's a whole different bird(get it???? Lol........).
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Thanksgiving and smokin a bird question
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »
There's nothing wrong with a frozen turkey and in fact there's less chance of bacteria forming in a frozen and properly thawed turkey than a "Fresh" one.

I agree. This time of year (during the holidays) most stores will have their frozen turkeys on sale big time and in many cases they do or almost give turkeys away for free if you spend x amount of $$. I often see - buy one get one free also. I particularly like turkey breasts which I can pick up for around $10 each.

Since we love turkey year round I always stock my freezer with many birds to thaw and enjoy next year.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG