Author Topic: Chimney  (Read 1818 times)

Offline tn_5568

Chimney
« Reply #-1 on: November 06, 2016, 09:08:05 AM »
Seen a chimney starter on pbc site. Anyone get one yet. Anything different about it. Says it's designed for pbc.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Chimney
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »
It is probably shaped to hold the right amount of pre-lit coals that PBC feels is necessary to properly light the coal basket. If you don't have a coal chimney I would grab it.

If you already have one.......save your coin
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:03:07 AM »
Already got a couple. I was looking at ordering an extra turkey hanger and seen those. Normally use lighter fluid on pbc but thought those might be easy if they are sized right. Plus mine are too tall to be able to dump inside the pbc

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 11:12:46 AM »
I have done the lighter fluid for 5 years now and it just works....nice and simple. I would use your money for other PBC goodies  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
I have done the lighter fluid for 5 years now and it just works....nice and simple. I would use your money for other PBC goodies  8)

X2!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline s10ny

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
I've got a small Weber chimney that looks like it's the same size as the new PBC one.  It's size makes it really easy to dump in and spread around, but I don't feel like I'm getting consistent results from the Chimney getting the coals in the basket started and up to temp.  I think I'll try lighter fluid the next time and maybe take some of the guess-work out of things.  Sounds like you guys have had good success with that method?

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:32:48 AM »
I just did a cook on my PBC with a whole chicken and a rack of ribs. I (as I always do) lit my coal bed of Kingsford with Kingsford lighter fluid. Filled the basket completely. Waited a full 20 minutes for the coals to finish burning off before placing my chicken and ribs in.

One and a half hours later they were both done. The PBC is a truly set it and forget it cooker when used properly IMHO.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
I just did a cook on my PBC with a whole chicken and a rack of ribs. I (as I always do) lit my coal bed of Kingsford with Kingsford lighter fluid. Filled the basket completely. Waited a full 20 minutes for the coals to finish burning off before placing my chicken and ribs in.

One and a half hours later they were both done. The PBC is a truly set it and forget it cooker when used properly IMHO.

Good call Mike. There are many other cookers out there that offer constant "hands-on" attention. The PBC was designed to cook incredible grub and allow you to enjoy yourself with family and friends.

I have tried the chimney starter method when I have been out of lighter fluid. Works fine, but the lighter fluid method is a time proven winner..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline marty22877

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »
I've used a chimney since day 1 and it works great.  put some newspaper in it, light it, wait 12 min and dump it into the pit barrel and that's all she wrote

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 01:00:09 PM »
The taller chimney starters can make dumping the lit coals a little awkward. The PBC Chimney Starter is the right size for lighting the coals and for easier maneuvering.

Offline rcrabb22

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 02:25:25 PM »
Already got a couple. I was looking at ordering an extra turkey hanger and seen those. Normally use lighter fluid on pbc but thought those might be easy if they are sized right. Plus mine are too tall to be able to dump inside the pbc
I already had the tall chimney before my PBC purchase and I also discovered it was too tall to dump the coals with any sort of accuracy.  I dump the lit coals in the basket out side the PBC then use a stiff tined garden rake to lower the basket into the PBC
Weber Kettle
PBC
Kitchen aide NG (not that happy with it
should have bought a Weber)
Thermapen MK4
ThermoWorks Smoke
Kal Clone Electric Brewery (theelectricbrewery.com)

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »
I fill the basket with the briquettes...take about 30ish or so out and fill my small Weber chimney.  I light it with a Weber starter, wait 12 mins...then add the coals to the basket and wait 12 more mins...add the re-bar and my food(usually ribs) and depending on the size of the ribs it has taken anywhere from 2.5 hrs to 4 hrs. Love this cooker!

-Rob
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline 70monte

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 08:42:50 PM »
I fill the basket with the briquettes...take about 30ish or so out and fill my small Weber chimney.  I light it with a Weber starter, wait 12 mins...then add the coals to the basket and wait 12 more mins...add the re-bar and my food(usually ribs) and depending on the size of the ribs it has taken anywhere from 2.5 hrs to 4 hrs. Love this cooker!

-Rob

This is what I do and I also use a small Weber chimney.
Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill
2007 Weber Performer
1995 Weber Performer
18" Weber Jumbo Joe.
14" Smokey Joe
Weber Gas Anywhere
Weber Charcoal anywhere
PBC
PK grill
PK 360
The Good One Open Range
The Good One Marshall