Author Topic: Overnight Cook questions  (Read 2028 times)

Offline smokestack

Overnight Cook questions
« Reply #-1 on: November 14, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »
Has anyone done an overnight cook before?  I know weather can affect and I'd expect temps in the mid to high 30s (sea level altitude).  I'm planning to do a roughly 10lb pork shoulder for a company picnic (so really hoping to get that excellent bark and avoid wrapping if at all possible!).  While the idea of sitting out with the PBC all night with some beverages and a clear view of the stars sounds like a dream, I fear reality suggests that I should be trying to maximize sleep rather than keeping a close eye on things.  Still, I'll have a wireless thermometer to set on my nightstand :)

I guess a related question would be should I shred the pork before bringing it into work or better to keep it in the cooler until closer to eating time and shred at the office.

Kona - pretty sure you had a similar conundrum a few months back so especially looking to you for your sage wisdom!  Thanks all!

Offline Hub

Re: Overnight Cook questions
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
I'm hoping somebody will see this post who has actually cooked a 10lb. shoulder in their PBC.  It is not designed as a slow cooker and some way will need to be devised to throttle it back.  The "sweet spot" temp in a PBC runs significantly higher than a stick or pellet smoker designed for slow cooking. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
I think a PBC overnight cook would be fine if the grub was for your breakfast. The PBC is a power smoker with temps around 290-315..............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 02:44:04 PM »
When I did my overnight, I put it on at 10:45 and at 3:30 is when it hit 160. I wrapped and placed back on. I think it finished about 6am or so and I left wrapped till I was ready to pull
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline feniansons

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
I just did a 8lb Boston butt last week. I put it on w extra coals because I wasn't planning on wrapping it.  I put it on at 1015 pm and magically when I arrived home from work at 7am it was at 203.  Was the best bark I've had yet for a cook.  Put it in faux Cambro cooler and was still warm at dinner. I've learned not to worry about the flux in temp. But for longer cook don't be shy w coals

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
What time do you need to have the food ready to go? Depending on the time you need to leave home it may be advantageous to do an early morning cook.

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »
Not to hijack this thread,  just curious.

Those who cook a butt without wrapping, do you hang it or cook it on the grate? 
I am a little concerned that the hooks could pull out if hung.

Thanks!!
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline Kona

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 06:16:45 PM »
Not to hijack this thread,  just curious.

Those who cook a butt without wrapping, do you hang it or cook it on the grate? 
I am a little concerned that the hooks could pull out if hung.

Thanks!!

Whether I wrap or not, I've always used the grate
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline sws6530

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »
I've done the overnight cook.  I don't know if I will do it again, unless necessary...my night's sleep was basically: sleep, wake, check bedside thermometer, repeat for what seemed like every 30 mins thru the night.  A worried sleep is not quality sleep, I found.  My PBC runs cool, so I have to keep a closer eye on it than most, and I have had the charcoal burn out on some butt cooks.  That kept me worried all night since I had promised pulled pork for my fathers bday party at noon.  So...if you are confident in your PBC, you can do it.

I always use the grate, wrap or no wrap, to avoid the meat from falling from the hook (pulled pork cook #1).  I don't see any advantage to the hooks for pork butt.

I would pull the meat at home and keep it in a cooler.  Pulling it at home lets you pull it when it is hotter (easier), remove the excess fat pieces out of sight, and add a little seasoning and toss (if you prefer).  Then at the picnic it all looks like wonderful magic.  Good luck.

Offline smokestack

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »
What time do you need to have the food ready to go? Depending on the time you need to leave home it may be advantageous to do an early morning cook.

I need to have the butt packed up in my faux cambro at 11am with the plan to pull and serve at 12:30ish.  Currently leaning towards waking up early to start the cook around 4-5am.  Not too concerned about a rough night's sleep as i've got two toddlers who keep me up every night anyway!  Might as well be making good use of those waking hours!

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
How did it turn out?