Author Topic: Lump Charcoal Trials  (Read 2737 times)

Offline ChrisD46

Lump Charcoal Trials
« Reply #-1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:30:59 PM »
Just a message on my experience using lump charcoal (Royal Oak) with my new Pit Barrel :

* Filled charcoal basket full - then removed 1/3rd of the unlit lump coals and placed in a chimney starter.
* 15 minutes later (900 ft. above sea level / vent 1/4th way open ) I added burning coals back into charcoal basket .
* Waited 10 minutes , hung chicken added two rebar rods , closed lid and cooked for close to 3 hrs.
* Temps started out at close to 350 degrees F. then settled down to 270 degrees F. fairly quick once lid was on .
* Cracked lid the last 15 minutes and removed chicken .
* Chicken was done (165 degrees F.  temp probe in the breast) but skin was still  not crisp .

Over all the chicken was moist , juicy and had a great flavor with the hardwood lump charcoal ... I lined the inside bottom of the PBC with a sheet of foil and was amazed at how little residue was left behind from the lump charcoal ... For under 4 hr. cooks I will continue to use just lump charcoal - for longer than 4 hr. cooks (pork butt) I will probably go 60% lump and 40% Stubbs natural briquettes / Kingsford briquettes  as the briquettes I believe provide a bit longer more sustained heat source while the lump charcoal provides a nice oak / maple / hickory hardwood blended taste without being over the top strong . Lastly , after cooking a chicken now - I remove all the skin and pull the meat off separating dark from light meat on a large plate and then serve family style . Great for either a BBQ sandwich with sauce or served plain with your choice of slaw , fries , etc. My point is that the PBC does chicken so well due to the moist cooking environment - I don't worry about the skin any more - I'm sure most Doctors would prefer you ditch the chicken skin any way ! 

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Re: Lump Charcoal Trials
« on: February 12, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
Hi Chris,

If you like crisp skin, a little prep work beforehand (dry brine in your fridge overnight) will do the trick...

Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 02:52:43 PM »
Insert BIGG: crack the lid for the last 10 minutes to crisp the skin... I think, its been a long day so far.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 03:11:13 PM »
Preparing the skin properly is the key to crispy chicken skin from the PBC. The skin needs to be air dried in the fridge. The high humidity in the PBC makes it tougher to get crispy skin.

Thanks for posting your results
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
Looks like butter & chicken skin going back on healthy diet  8)

Advisory panel considers changing recommendations on cholesterol.
Scott Pelley reported in the CBS Evening News (2/10, story 5, 1:30, Pelley) that according to the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, a government advisory panel, “we don’t have to worry so much after all about cholesterol in our diets.” Dr. Jon Lapook noted that while “the amount of cholesterol in your blood is still important,” the panel found that “the amount of cholesterol in your food doesn’t necessarily translate to a higher level of cholesterol in your blood.” While the current recommendations “say people should have less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol in their diet a day,” that number is “likely to change when the recommendations come out later this year.” Linsey Davis noted on ABC World News (2/10, story 7, 1:10, Muir) that while the panel said that “eating some foods that are high in cholesterol like eggs and seafood may not be so bad after all,” foods like “meats and cheeses, because they contain saturated fats, are still on the list.”
        The Washington Post (2/11, Whoriskey) reported in its “Wonkblog” blog that the this “does not reverse warnings about high levels of ‘bad’ cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease,” adding that “some experts warned that people with particular health problems, such as diabetes, should continue to avoid cholesterol-rich diets.” The blog adds that “a group from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology who looked at the issue in 2013 said there is simply not enough evidence of danger to call for limiting cholesterol in diets.”
        USA Today (2/11, Szabo) reports that “the committee will send its final recommendations to the Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which issue the dietary advice.” HHS and the USDA “are expected to issue Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2015 later this year.”
        The AP (2/11, Jalonick) reports, however, that “it’s unclear if the recommendation will make it into the final guidelines.”
        Forbes (2/11) contributor Larry Husten writes that “the proposed change reflects a major shift in the scientific view of cholesterol that has taken place in recent years.” While “serum cholesterol is still considered an important risk factor, cholesterol consumed in food is now thought to play a relatively insignificant role in determining blood levels of cholesterol.” Also covering the story are Reuters (2/11) and HealthDa
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 04:45:46 PM »
* Chicken was done (165 degrees F.  temp probe in the breast) but skin was still  not crisp .

My point is that the PBC does chicken so well due to the moist cooking environment - I don't worry about the skin any more - I'm sure most Doctors would prefer you ditch the chicken skin any way !

See member 1Bigg_ER's chicken photo in this post.  That'll do it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »
Looks like butter & chicken skin going back on healthy diet  8)

Advisory panel considers changing recommendations on cholesterol.
Scott Pelley reported in the CBS Evening News (2/10, story 5, 1:30, Pelley) that according to the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, a government advisory panel, “we don’t have to worry so much after all about cholesterol in our diets.” Dr. Jon Lapook noted that while “the amount of cholesterol in your blood is still important,” the panel found that “the amount of cholesterol in your food doesn’t necessarily translate to a higher level of cholesterol in your blood.” While the current recommendations “say people should have less than 300 milligrams of cholesterol in their diet a day,” that number is “likely to change when the recommendations come out later this year.” Linsey Davis noted on ABC World News (2/10, story 7, 1:10, Muir) that while the panel said that “eating some foods that are high in cholesterol like eggs and seafood may not be so bad after all,” foods like “meats and cheeses, because they contain saturated fats, are still on the list.”
        The Washington Post (2/11, Whoriskey) reported in its “Wonkblog” blog that the this “does not reverse warnings about high levels of ‘bad’ cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease,” adding that “some experts warned that people with particular health problems, such as diabetes, should continue to avoid cholesterol-rich diets.” The blog adds that “a group from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology who looked at the issue in 2013 said there is simply not enough evidence of danger to call for limiting cholesterol in diets.”
        USA Today (2/11, Szabo) reports that “the committee will send its final recommendations to the Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which issue the dietary advice.” HHS and the USDA “are expected to issue Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2015 later this year.”
        The AP (2/11, Jalonick) reports, however, that “it’s unclear if the recommendation will make it into the final guidelines.”
        Forbes (2/11) contributor Larry Husten writes that “the proposed change reflects a major shift in the scientific view of cholesterol that has taken place in recent years.” While “serum cholesterol is still considered an important risk factor, cholesterol consumed in food is now thought to play a relatively insignificant role in determining blood levels of cholesterol.” Also covering the story are Reuters (2/11) and HealthDa

Well damn, first it's raw oysters from the Gulf, now this. ::)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »
Chris, you'll not get crispy chicken skin cooking < 325 in the PBC.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer