Author Topic: lesson learned of how NOT to do chicken drumsticks  (Read 4270 times)

Offline viscera912

lesson learned of how NOT to do chicken drumsticks
« Reply #-1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »
After last week's excellent chicken run I wanted to do it again.  So I got 4.25lbs of drums and forgot there was only about half a basket full worth of Kingsford blue.  Last week I used 3/4 basket full of KB and was able to do 2 batches of drumsticks that had a total cook time of 1 hr and 20 minutes( 2 30 min cooks and 20 min for coal to get ready).  I figured since I was doing one batch, perhaps half basket should be good.  The drumsticks were dry brined and rubbed with PBC all purpose rub Friday night.  They sat out approx  2 hours before going in.  I lit with fluid, waited 20 min, and then put the drummies in with the outside temp at 51 deg.  The temp in cooker was around 298 and stayed around there the entire cook.  It bumped up to about 337 after I cracked the lid when meat temp was around 150 deg.  The chicken took about 13 min at that temp when I took them out at 168. They tasted wonderful but the skin wasn't very crispy or even edible to me. 

So lesson learned.  Bigg was absolutely right in that you must have your PBC HOT for chicken to come out with that beautiful crispy skin. Noah was right when he said make sure you use a full basket of charcoal. If you want to experiment and try saving some coal for shorter cooks, if using KB, one must use at minimum 3/4 basket! 

I'm not really mad about it just chalk it up to getting in tune with the PBC and hopefully someone who reads this won't make the same mistake I made. Don't ask for pics....I was too irritated with myself to snap any  >:(   anyway happy sunday ya'll!

Jason

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: lesson learned of how NOT to do chicken drumsticks
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:19:31 AM »
There is an old expression among outdoor cooks: "Know Your Pit".....

And - that takes some time, and experimenting a bit. But the great news is that even your mistakes, are delicious ;) :D....

Higher cook temps are helpful. Just as helpful, is to put your chicken on a wire rack above a pan, and put it in the fridges overnight. The chilling that takes place in the fridge also....dehydrates and dries the skin... Dry your chicken pieces, and apply your seasoning, put it in the fridge.
This need not be expensive space - or dollar wise. I picked up some sets of packing pans with wire racks that fit flush to the top of them at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond. I think they were 8 bucks or so... http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/168040-wilton-16-inch-x-10-inch-cooling-grid.html
They fit exactly on standard size pans, and you don't lose much height in your fridge this way. There are also "multi-tired" versions if you are doing a lot at once.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »
Yep, it's been stated here in the past that using less than a full load of charcoal in the PBC will not get sufficient heat.  If you're looking to save on charcoal there a few methods mentioned here about shutting down the PBC.  I stuff aluminum foil in the openings to snuff out the fire and save the remaining coals for the next cook.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline viscera912

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »

.....and put it in the fridge overnight. The chilling that takes place in the fridge also....dehydrates and dries the skin... Dry your chicken pieces, and apply your seasoning, put it in the fridge.

I re read my original post and forgot to mention I cooked sat night.  I put them in fridge friday night to cook on sat night.  My original post made it seem I seasoned and then put them in after 2 hours, my bad.  I brined overnight and before they went in the pbc they sat out for 2 hours.  Sorry bout the lack of clarity  ;)

Jason

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »
Here is how I like to make them in the PBC with a big easy basket and leg racks...

And yes a surface brine on the skin helps but having a strong bed of coals is important with chicken!

Leaving the lid off the last 10 minutes also helps to finish the skin.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
I think Bigg said he uses half a basket of lump and lets it get good and hot before cooking and that does the trick.  I'm buying some lump just for quock chicken cooks to try it out
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »
Almost half, you can see the bottom of the basket through the coals......

Another cook, less than half

Another less than half cook

So yes, it has been done. With practice you'll get there.

Starting temp, it was still climbing.

If you're going to use half a basket get a few hot coals under the chicken to produce the smoke from drippings and push the rest to the opposite side of bird.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 10:30:12 PM »
^^^ There ya go! it can be done just gotta get her hot and bothered from the start. I'll be testing my own cooks this way when the weather gets back to acceptable again.   
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch