Author Topic: Spare Ribs...Ran out of time  (Read 2455 times)

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
Spare Ribs...Ran out of time
« Reply #-1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:24:52 PM »
I put some untrimmed spare ribs in the PBC today for company at 6:30. I rubbed one rack with PBC All Purpose Rub and the other with a more tradition brown suger base rub. I cut these in half because my first time to cook ribs the bottoms got charred. I put the ribs on at a little before 3:30 in hopes that they would be ready by 6:30. I was not so lucky. This is the second time (only my third cook total) that I have ran out of time ??? I keep thinking that things will cook faster in the PBC than they do.

After about almost two hours my temps fell to about 230, which is fine but not when im wanting these done in 3-3.5 hours. I cracked the lid and in about thirty minutes the temp came back to 280. I closed the lid and the temp again fell closer to 220. This all may have been due to me using only about 3/4 basket with Kingsford Blue. I thought i could get away with it. (if i had had more time i probably would have) The ribs had been in the PBC now for about 2:30 hours and were not near done. I transferred them into the oven on 325 for another 45 min and then to 350 for fifteen minutes. Guest arrived so i pulled them. The meat was pulling from the bones so I thought they may be good to go.

Flavor was good on both. I would like a little more smoke flavor. I added two handfuls of apple wood chips at the beginning. I also sauced the non PBC rubbed ribs and let cook in oven for a few minutes.

The ribs were tougher than I like. Had to work a little and did not pulled clean from the bone.

Lesson learned, the PBC cooks faster, but not as  fast as in my head.

PS: how do yo post a pictures throughout your post and not just at the end as attachments?

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:29:30 PM by sb2_7 »
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Spare Ribs...Ran out of time
« on: February 25, 2015, 01:01:48 AM »
PS: how do yo post a pictures throughout your post and not just at the end as attachments?

You have to upload your pictures to a hosting service like Photobucket and then copy and paste the URL and apply the [IMG] tag to it.  This has been the method I have been doing, using Photobucket, until recently now I've been using Tapatalk.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:47:51 AM »
Ribs look plenty edible.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:00:12 AM »
What was your average temp first 90 minutes? I think you can get away with 1/2 or 3/4 basket on a quick chicken cook but anything over 3 hours Id fill ER up. If you're wanting a faster cook, get it hanging out over 300 for the first part of the cook. Or use competition or some lump in addition.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:02 AM »
Look pretty good to me!

And don't be afraid to finish in the oven at a higher temp if time is a concern. The charcoal flavor is created in the first hour or two.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:29:44 AM »
Paul, my temp, after the wood chips stopped flaming, was about 280 and then steadily dropped for the next 90 minutes until i cracked the lid to bring the temp back up. Ambient temp was 38.
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:42:07 AM »
I agree with paul hart, I got away with using 3/4 basket of KB for a 1.5 hr chicken cook.  for something like you were doing a full basket is a must. thanks for letting us know though, while there are plenty of posts on here about how good things turn out its good to know sort of the things that happened that may have led to something not up to your expectation.

oh yeah and if you go to the home page of this forum and scroll down, under general you will see section called posting photos in there the first post is how to use photobucket. 

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
Look pretty good to me!

And don't be afraid to finish in the oven at a higher temp if time is a concern. The charcoal flavor is created in the first hour or two.

I agree on both accounts.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759