Author Topic: PBC longevity  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Phillipslink

• Clovis, CA
PBC longevity
« Reply #-1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »
I'm still dialing in my PBC 2.0 my wife gave me for Christmas so I cooked a single Tri-Tip in preparation of a big cook next week. 

I saw a few posts from folks concerned about the cooker's base so I went to Smart N Final and picked up an 18" aluminum party tray that perfectly fits the bottom of the barrel and a 16" tray to catch ash from under the basket for easy disposal. About $3 each. No need for foil every time.

To match my other covers, I ordered a $28 Classic Accessory kettle grill cover (size 26.5-inches diameter 38-inches high) even the bottom retaining straps line up with the horseshoes.

I followed Noah's instructions except for the oil and it took 45 minutes to reach 135. All my cooks have taken longer. I think I need to open the vent more. I'm at 200' elevation with the vent set as shown in the instructions. 

Results as pictured with Kinders rub.  Tasty!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:33:58 AM by Phillipslink »
NKAWTG

PBC/Traeger Little Tex/Jenn-Air 40/Weber 26 Kettle/Olympian RV5500 -Motorhome mounted/Fuego Element

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: PBC longevity
« on: March 01, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
Nice looking tri-tip and great idea on the trays - I'm going to try that. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »
Great looking tri-tip. 

As for longevity, if you line the bottom with foil or the tray you showed, the PBC should last a extremely long time. I have foiled my bottom (PBC  :D) and it looks like new. We all know what happens to grills/smokers when we leave the ash in too long.

Case in point: my brother had a Char-griller barrel grill that he did not take care of...gone in two years. He got another one and cleans it the next day and covers it and he has had it for six years............and it is not on a covered patio either...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »
Love the idea!

Not foiling mine. Kinda hope my rots out on the bottom so I can get a new enameled one ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline viscera912

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
ok, I've read enough about putting foil or something on the bottom so I'm gonna do it.  your nice idea with these pans finally drove it home.  just curious though do you think there is still enough space for air to get through, perhaps that's why your cooks are going a little long?  not trying to chastise your idea but trying to see if that is a potential reason?

jason

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:06:37 PM »
What I like about hd foil is I never block the bottom vent opening and I just fold it up lift it out and I am ready to go  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »
Tri tip looks great!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Phillipslink

• Clovis, CA
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 03:16:09 PM »
ok, I've read enough about putting foil or something on the bottom so I'm gonna do it.  your nice idea with these pans finally drove it home.  just curious though do you think there is still enough space for air to get through, perhaps that's why your cooks are going a little long?  not trying to chastise your idea but trying to see if that is a potential reason?

jason

Good point.  I going to try to scissor out a notch and see what happens.  Thanks.  Here is a close-up before the notch.

NKAWTG

PBC/Traeger Little Tex/Jenn-Air 40/Weber 26 Kettle/Olympian RV5500 -Motorhome mounted/Fuego Element

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
I got to thinking, does the pan lift straight out?? Do the hangers for the cooking grate prevent that from happening?? 8 lbs of briqs leave a bunch of ash and having to tip that pan might be messy........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Phillipslink

• Clovis, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 03:54:56 PM »
I got to thinking, does the pan lift straight out?? Do the hangers for the cooking grate prevent that from happening?? 8 lbs of briqs leave a bunch of ash and having to tip that pan might be messy........
I only lift the 16 inch pan up with ashes.  Comes straight up using both hands being careful not to bump a post.  18" pan remain in place.
NKAWTG

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 03:56:23 PM »
Gotcha. :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »
Love the idea!

Not foiling mine. Kinda hope my rots out on the bottom so I can get a new enameled one ;)

That's kind of what I've been thinking too, might even take it out in the desert and use it for target practice just to justify getting another one.  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
Smoochy loves that new smooth porcelain coating  ;)

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven