Author Topic: Quest For Crispy-Skinned Chicken  (Read 5101 times)

Offline hikerman

Quest For Crispy-Skinned Chicken
« Reply #-1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »
Our oldest and our SIL came home for the weekend festivities and wanted PBC chicken. Our SIL loves ribs, so we had ribs too. Now we all enjoy PBC chicken but I experimented trying to get a crispy-skinned chicken. First up was splitting the two hens in half, and cutting off the backbones. These were a treat for Bella. She is on a raw meat diet and chicken backs are about 50 - 60% of her meals. I must have cut a bit too much off one of the halves as it was kind of "wobbily" and fearing it would fall into the coal basket as it cooked, I just cut it into 2 qtrs. Next I trimmed extra skin and fat. I decided on a brine which I seldom do in using the PBC. This was a gallon of water, 3/4 C kosher salt, 1/2C sugar, and    1/2C local honey. Brought to a boil and when cooled added the 3 chicken halves and 2 qtrs. Put a plate on top to cover inbrine and into fridge for 18 hours. At the end of the swim, chicken was rinsed and dried, placed on a rack over a half sheet and dusted with baking powder, and put back in fridge. About 8 hours later I seasoned thechix with S&P and a rub.
This was refrigerated for about 6 more hours, until being brought to room temp before being hung with the 2 half racks of ribs. 2 hours later everything was done! The ribs were very good, the halved chicken was great as always, but so much more juicy and tender, but the two qtrs actually had very crispy skin, crunchy! It was just as juicy and tender but the skin was like night and day compared to the halved chix. I'm thinking much of the difference was quartering it allowed more grease/fat from the skin to release. I do believe this is how I will be prepping all chicken on the PBC!
Besides chicken and ribs the sides were scalloped corn and Roseanne Cash's potato salad. It was a very nice family meal!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Aclarke44

Re: Quest For Crispy-Skinned Chicken
« on: March 28, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
I typically do chicken halves.   But I also rub them with olive oil prior to applying the rub.  I believe this may help get a crispier skin than without.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »
Quote from: Aclarke44 link=to44.msg221211#msg221211 date=1459174330
I typically do chicken halves.   But I also rub them with olive oil prior to applying the rub.  I believe this may help get a crispier skin than without.

I do that about half the time, lately I have been dry-brining overnight before hanging which helps, along with cracking the lid for the last 20 minutes. Usually have good results but not crispy skin. This time tho on the 1/4'ed pieces the skin was very much more crispy than the halved. Sometimes good things come by way of mistakes!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »
Chicken and ribs look great Gene!!! Nice meal!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 11:02:47 AM »
I tried hanging the chix on only one rebar and running it through the barrel sideways leaving two of the rebar holes wide open. I also mix lump with briqs for chicken cooks and this set up cranks up the temp and the skin is nice and crispy......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 01:06:31 PM »
It's nice when a change in a cook comes together and is shared others.
Nice.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »
Salting the skin and leaving in the fridge in the open dry air overnight really helps make for great crispy skin no matter how you cook it.

Looks awesome Gene!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »
Thanks for sharing! This is my unicorn, I've been chasing crispy skin forever. Even though having done only one cook on the PBC I like seeing ideas that may help me achieve crispy skin for the next time I do one on my PBC.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Aclarke44

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »
I think the smaller quarters may be the key.  I did just thighs once and they turned out very crispy too (1st pic below).....
But what about a "fried" style chicken using a batter.  I've done this in my weber kettle before but it should work well in the PBC too.  Soaked in buttermilk and spices then dredged in a chicken batter.  Very crispy and delicious.  Here's a shot from a cook I did (2nd pic)....

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:08:26 PM by Aclarke44 »

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »
Looks great!  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline Code4code5

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 09:45:59 PM »
I've been cooking a bunch of chickens on the PBC since I got it in October. I did something a little different on Wednesday, that I'd read about somewhere on the net, and probably on this forum. I dusted the skin on each half chicken with a *very* light coat, maybe 1/8 tsp., of baking soda and rubbed it in well. I then coated the birds with the PBC All-Purpose Rub, and let them rest for about an hour in the turned-off oven (mainly to keep the dogs from having an early dinner.)

Just before smoking, I used an olive oil mister to lightly coat the skin. The results were amazing... The skin was just what I was looking for; thin, crispy, and perhaps even more flavorful than usual.

Sorry there's no pictures on the chicken, they were destined for freezer fodder for mid-week meals. The kids and I ended up eating the skin off of most of the thighs, since it won't ever be the same after the deep freeze. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 11:04:36 AM »
I've been cooking a bunch of chickens on the PBC since I got it in October. I did something a little different on Wednesday, that I'd read about somewhere on the net, and probably on this forum. I dusted the skin on each half chicken with a *very* light coat, maybe 1/8 tsp., of baking soda and rubbed it in well. I then coated the birds with the PBC All-Purpose Rub, and let them rest for about an hour in the turned-off oven (mainly to keep the dogs from having an early dinner.)

Just before smoking, I used an olive oil mister to lightly coat the skin. The results were amazing... The skin was just what I was looking for; thin, crispy, and perhaps even more flavorful than usual.

Sorry there's no pictures on the chicken, they were destined for freezer fodder for mid-week meals. The kids and I ended up eating the skin off of most of the thighs, since it won't ever be the same after the deep freeze. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info! I'll try that next time I do some chix on the PBC!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
From what I have read baking powder works very well without the off taste of soda. Think I am going to try that
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »
I did add baking powder to my Huli Huli chicken rub, it didn't make any difference but it was kind of hard to tell since I did sauce it. Before adding sauce though, it still seemed rubbery. Maybe next time I'll do the powder first and then the rub.

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 09:45:33 PM »
Ok,, has anyone thought about the Big Easy SRG ,  I get crispy chicken everytime on the SRG, without anything special... Just Sayin  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL