Author Topic: Idea for tomorrow  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Lemonhead78

Idea for tomorrow
« Reply #-1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:19:49 PM »
I'm going to make some steaks and I like them rare and with a deep char. To do this I'm going to dump a big pile of lump wood charcoal on the cooking grate. Light with lighter fluid and wait till their ready and spread them out. Than I'll slide in the bars and put another grate on top of them. This way I'll have extra high heat since the coals will be closer to the top where I put the extra grate. Also it will be easier to cook since I won't have to reach down inside the barrel. Is this something people already have done? If so i apologize. I'll update with pics
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Kona

Re: Idea for tomorrow
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
I believe some will hang the coal basket from the rebars and place a new cooking grate on top of them or across the top of the barrel
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:03:11 PM »
I'm going to make some steaks and I like them rare and with a deep char. To do this I'm going to dump a big pile of lump wood charcoal on the cooking grate. Light with lighter fluid and wait till their ready and spread them out. Than I'll slide in the bars and put another grate on top of them. This way I'll have extra high heat since the coals will be closer to the top where I put the extra grate. Also it will be easier to cook since I won't have to reach down inside the barrel. Is this something people already have done? If so i apologize. I'll update with pics

I would love it if you can take pictures and post your results...Why not try it? ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:05:48 PM »

I would love it if you can take pictures and post your results...Why not try it? ;)
Will do
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »
Kona that would get the coals even closer . Nice
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline Kona

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:17:49 PM »
I'm guessing you like your steaks Pittsburgh Style / Black and Blue  8)
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »

If you have a chimney starter, you can place a grate over it and get near steak house temps.  Of course you are limited to the diameter size of the chimney but it will cook a steak really fast

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 11:22:41 AM »
Try this:  Hang the charcoal basket from the rebar being careful to support it with enough hangers to keep it stable.  You may need to fabricate with an old coat hanger to two.  Fire up the charcoal then place the grate on top of the rebars.  You'll have direct, high heat without the inconvenience of the high sides of the PBC since you'll be working "on top".  With the proper amount of well-lit charcoal you'll get wonderful caramelization.  This will only work for medium rare and rare steak cooking since the outside of the steaks can go from sear to burned in a hurry if you don't watch it.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 12:24:55 PM »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tomcrete1

Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 12:18:07 PM »
If you have a chimney starter, you can place a grate over it and get near steak house temps.  Of course you are limited to the diameter size of the chimney but it will cook a steak really fast

That's how I do it when I cook the steak sousvide,  puts  a great sear on it!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:24:30 PM by ClimberDave »
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano