Author Topic: Brisket queries  (Read 1366 times)

Offline JimmyV

Brisket queries
« Reply #-1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »
I'm wanting to do a brisket this weekend. Texas style with just salt and pepper, no injection. Do you guys prefer to hang or grate your brisket? Also what sort of times do you guys find it takes? I'm in NC and below 1000 elevation.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Brisket queries
« on: September 22, 2016, 10:12:21 AM »
I hang until the brisket gets to 150 internal. I then wrap and put on the cooking grate. Check out how Noah uses double hooks in the video to hang the brisket properly. Good luck and please take pics.  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:30:02 AM »
The only  brisket  I have smoked on my PBC I followed the directions on  PBC's video.  I hung it then pulled it and  wrapped it.   It was 12 lbs before trimming and it took  5 hrs 30 minutes.

It came out beautifully!!   Very moist and juicy,  tho I did inject with beef broth.

On my next one  I will do it mostly the same way  however will probably let it go a bit longer before I wrap so it develops a better bark. 

Also considering finishing it on the grate unwrapped for the final 20-30 minutes to firm the bark up again.
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
I'm wanting to do a brisket this weekend. Texas style with just salt and pepper, no injection. Do you guys prefer to hang or grate your brisket? Also what sort of times do you guys find it takes? I'm in NC and below 1000 elevation.

I prefer to hang on the grate, fat cap down.  It is just easier for me than dealing with the hooks.  I will keep it there until about 165F and then wrap until about 195 or so as long as it is tender enough.  All proteins will not cook the same.  Depending on the weight, pit temp, etc, the cook time can be all over the place.  I usually start early and if finished early, let it rest in a cooler still wrapped and with a towel thrown over to keep the heat in.  Even after 4 hours or resting, the meat was still too hot to touch.  I will be doing a brisket next weekend and am looking forward to this.  Hope yours comes out tasty

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
Check out our brisket video: http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/beef-brisket

Be sure to put the meat on at 12 minutes. Don't let your coals burn too long before putting the meat in the PBC. Don't let them ash over, otherwise they will exhaust themselves too soon and your temps will drop. Never hesitate to contact us if you have questions or concerns. The office number is 502-228-1222.

Enjoy!!

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 11:12:45 PM »
I did my first brisket on the PBC not too long ago and I just did it on the rack and it was amazing! I don't really see a need to hang a brisket personally, but I know it works as well. I just didn't want to mess with it and I'm not sure it could have come out any better what so ever. The PBC is awesome for briskets and butts. I think because of the higher temp that it cooks at the stall is lessened and at times bypassed and the cut just keeps cooking. This happened with my brisket and I actually wrapped with butcher paper as it was pushing past the stall temp and the end result was incredible. Let us know how it all works out for ya.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline viscera912

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »
ive followed video online, however, now i try to bring the cooker down to 225-235 by plugging the holes.  cook takes much longer and it takes a lot more nurture but the finished product is good!