Author Topic: Cleaning Pit Barrel Cooker?  (Read 3778 times)

Offline stevek142

Cleaning Pit Barrel Cooker?
« Reply #-1 on: April 25, 2017, 04:02:33 PM »
Does anyone clean the inside of the PBC. I never have after a couple of years' use. I look at it as a cast iron skillet. The smoke seasons it and you don't want to lose any of that. Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions, ideas. What do you clean it with?

Offline Hub

Re: Cleaning Pit Barrel Cooker?
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:41:19 PM »
I've had mine four or five years and have never cleaned it.  Never even thought about cleaning it.  I just dump out the ashes and fire it up again.  The outside is dirty, too.  Not shiny and starting to show some rust spots here and there.  It has a sort of well experienced look to it.  I'll be watching this thread.  Am I supposed to clean it?

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:34:36 PM »
Clean the PBC? What is this cleaning that you ask of??  I have cooked on a PBC for darn near 5 years and the most cleaning I do is remove and add a pc of hd foil to the bottom. Maybe after 4 years you might have to crumble up a pc of HD foil and scrape the top........maybe............. 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
Just leave the lid off and let it rip after every cook. Self cleaning cycle
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
I only wipe the outside down with a wet paper towel as I am cooking, backyard gets windy, so it gets dusty.  Never do anything to inside besides lower the charcoal basket and place the food!
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline tbrtt1

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »
I scrape the insides with a scraper every 4 cooks or so. I also scrape the lid more often since I don't want crud dripping on my food, though I have no reason to believe it has happened.

I scrape all of my smokers after a few cooks. A few pit masters like Aaron Franklin and competition pit masters are adamant that smokers should be cleaned. I am sort of somewhere in between. I don't like a lot of buildup but I ain't interested in doing what it takes to get it spic and span!
Modified Traeger Lil Tex
Modified Big Poppa UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker
SmokinIt #2
Weber 22 and 18 Kettle
Old Gas Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:01:32 PM »
I believe that the seasoning on the inside of cookers add a additional flavor profile when cooking. My buddy has a very well used Cookshack electric smoker and he says he doesn't add wood to it anymore. The heavy seasoning adds enough flavor now when cooking.

I understand the competition argument as well. Some us specific cookers for specific proteins............I should try that angle when getting new cookers snuck into the patio  :D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tbrtt1

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
I believe that the seasoning on the inside of cookers add a additional flavor profile when cooking. My buddy has a very well used Cookshack electric smoker and he says he doesn't add wood to it anymore. The heavy seasoning adds enough flavor now when cooking.

I understand the competition argument as well. Some us specific cookers for specific proteins............I should try that angle when getting new cookers snuck into the patio  :D :D

He doesn't need to add wood??? Wow, that's incredible! I guess you can save on wood costs.
Modified Traeger Lil Tex
Modified Big Poppa UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker
SmokinIt #2
Weber 22 and 18 Kettle
Old Gas Grill

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »

He doesn't need to add wood??? Wow, that's incredible! I guess you can save on wood costs.

Well those Cookshack smokers use pretty small chunks of wood, so he aint saving that much...but it all adds up  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline viscera912

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »

i use a plastic scraper every 5 or so cooks on the bottom and then hit it with a blower to get the random ash that didn't fall out.  maybe takes 2min tops so im not going for scraping everything off, just the spots that look like it could harbor moisture. 

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »
I'm a "clean nut" and have never cleaned the inside. I do keep the outside shining though. lol
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
So simple and no need to clean! ;)