Author Topic: Help on Cook Timing  (Read 1079 times)

Offline psousa781

Help on Cook Timing
« Reply #-1 on: July 18, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
I am planning a cook for Thursday of a packer brisket and 2-4 racks of St. Louis style ribs.  I am targeting around 5-5:30pm to be eating and am trying to decide when to start the brisket.  My initial thought is something like this:

7:00am - hang the brisket
11:00am - pull the brisket (assuming temp around 160-170) and wrap (TX crutch)
1:00pm - pull the wrapped brisket (assuming temp around 200-205), wrap in a towel, place in a cooler
1:15pm - hang the ribs
4:30pm - take the brisket from the cooler and let rest in the kitchen until time to carve
5pm - pull the ribs

Obviously the times are estimates, and the temp will really dictate when I do things, but does this seem at all reasonable for a gameplan going into it?  Thanks for any help!

Offline Kona

Re: Help on Cook Timing
« on: July 18, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
I've never done a brisket yet so can't help there but how many lbs is it? I've had an 8lb pork butt take 10 hours with a crutch. The ribs seem about right to me. Without wrapping ribs mine usually take about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. You'll also have to check your coals when you go to hang your ribs.
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline psousa781

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »
I've never done a brisket yet so can't help there but how many lbs is it? I've had an 8lb pork butt take 10 hours with a crutch. The ribs seem about right to me. Without wrapping ribs mine usually take about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. You'll also have to check your coals when you go to hang your ribs.

The place I'm getting it from said they range from 10-14 lbs before trimming.  I've seen brisket cook times vary a ton with the PBC.  Would I be better served to start at 6am, or even 5am, and if it's done pretty quickly let it rest longer in the cooler?

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »

The place I'm getting it from said they range from 10-14 lbs before trimming.  I've seen brisket cook times vary a ton with the PBC.  Would I be better served to start at 6am, or even 5am, and if it's done pretty quickly let it rest longer in the cooler?

If it were me, I'd start at 5am. Not gonna hurt that Brisket to rest longer if necessary - but will be a problem if its not done on time. Have fun, enjoy the cook and the "meats" of your labor!

Offline psousa781

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:43:21 AM »
If it were me, I'd start at 5am. Not gonna hurt that Brisket to rest longer if necessary - but will be a problem if its not done on time. Have fun, enjoy the cook and the "meats" of your labor!

Alright, early to bed for me tonight then! :)  Thank you!