Author Topic: Brisket Question  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Bob c cue

Brisket Question
« Reply #-1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
My wife recently purchased a 1.4 lb brisket flat and stuck it in the freezer. From what I can tell it may have a very thin fat cap. In researching how to cook a small and fairly lean flat, it appears that my chances of smoking this into something editable are quite slim.

If I proceed to smoke this on my PBC, I was planning on following the directions from the PBC brisket video plus what I have learned from the "Internets":

• Coat with olive oil and apply the PBC beef and game rub.
  • When coals are ready hang until the internal temp reaches about 160 or so
  • Wrap in foil and add a bit of beef broth
  • Return to PBC and monitor until internal reaches 195. Start probing the thickest part of this fairly thin brisket and remove when tender as butta (is this wishful thinking?)
  • Rest for 30 to 60 minutes

Unwrap the bundle of joy and see if it is suitable for my dog, or if somehow it turns out as something us humans may enjoy.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline PongGod

Re: Brisket Question
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »
Yeah, those are pretty much the standard instructions, but I prefer to let that final temp go to at least the 200-205 range. You might also consider prepping it in advance with some tenderizing (I like to use the Jaccard tool, http://www.jaccard.com/Original-Super-Meat-Tenderizer--48-Knife_p_10.html) I think if you follow that plan, you'll find that it will not only be edible, but quite delicious.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:02:21 AM »
The "tender as butta"  part is going to be difficult with a brisket flat. The point? Oh yeah - can do...But the flat has a lot less fat. In both fat cap, and intra-muscular fat....So the long, low temp ride that can tenderize a whole packer is not going to work as well for you on a flat. And the smaller the cut of meat the less fat and moisture by volume...and there is more surface area by weight - amplifying moisture evaporation....

This would be one that I would inject and vacuum marinade if I want it extremely tender. Then cook as you prefer.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:38:59 AM »
How about using pureed Asian pear with your marinade? Works wonders as a meat tenderizer. Or rub it with a kiwi fruit.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
I would Jaccard the flat. Injecting will help. You are gonna have some good eats....keep us posted......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline lctrcbddha

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
1.4 pound flat - that's on the smallish side isn't it?  It hasn't already been corned or something has it?

May want to hang a "Plan B", just in case.  If the brisket comes out well, the "Plan B" can be leftovers ;)

Offline Bob c cue

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 11:43:19 PM »
Thanks for all the great suggestions. My better half is pushing for doing the flat in the crock pot. So this may be a moot point. Next time we'll get a packer!