Author Topic: Notes from a complete BBQ rookie after a dozen cooks...  (Read 6966 times)

Offline VMac

Notes from a complete BBQ rookie after a dozen cooks...
« Reply #-1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
Background: I'm over 50 and never owned a BBQ.  That is primarily due to my previously mobile nature, rather than any aversion to grilled meat, which I love.  I'm also really quite inexperienced at cooking in general, beyond the very basics.  I purchased a PBC a couple months ago almost by pure happenstance -- mostly due to a recommendation from a chef friend of mine, stemming from a desire to increase the amount of meat in my diet. The elegant simplicity of the PBC is what appealed to me most, and after viewing Noah's video on ribs, I was sold.

Okay, I'm somewhere north of 10 cooks now, and couldn't be happier.  I've been firing it up at least once/week, often twice.  I've been  on a pretty regular rotation pork --> beef --> chicken. 

Pork Butt Roast and Arm Picnic:

Three chickens, split and prepped per Noah's video:

Of course, ribs:

Most recent cook was 24lbs of pork... two Butt Roasts and 5 Cushion cuts:

Hmm, apparently I take more photos of pork!  I've done Tri Tip a couple times (outstanding!), and a very large Chuck Roast.  For the shorter cooks, I'll throw a bunch of sweet potatoes on the grate to take advantage of the full basket burn. 

Every single item that has entered that barrel has emerged delicious.  And since I'm a total hack, that's saying something!  I'm still pretty basic with the rub technology, usually some "winging it" combination of paprika, cayenne, black pepper, and garlic powder.

Pros
Simple. While not completely dummy proof (more on that in a minute), it is incredibly easy.  When applying rub is the hardest part of your process, you know this pseudo-smoker is easy.

Absolutely delicious, nearly fool-proof meat of any kind. Again, I am a neophyte, but this seems like a very nice compromise/hybrid/sweet spot... perhaps not the PERFECT tool for any one task, but the best at handling everything?  To me, it's a lot like my Aeropress (which I LOVE) -- can it compete with $2000 espresso machine at the local coffee snob house?  No.  But for $25, you get an elegantly simple process that produces coffee far superior to any drip machine or french press in existence. 

Bargain. Enough said.

Support. Noah and Amber are always there!

Cons
Clean-up.  I'm only putting this here because I couldn't think of anything else.  The biggest issue (leftover ash) is resolved with aluminum foil under the coal basket (thank you to this forum for tipping me off to that).  Now I'm just wondering if any periodic cleaning will be necessary?  The rods and inside of drum are getting quite grimey.  The rods are easy enough to clean, but do you all ever do anything to the barrel?

My challenge
I didn't want to put this under Cons, because it surely is something *I* am doing wrong.  But I'm really puzzled by it. I'm at sea level (Santa Monica), yet even with the vent almost fully open, I am having trouble running above 265ish. I'm using a chimney starter.  And the last couple times even used the exact 40 coals prescribed by the experts.  At one point, I sent an email to PBC, and Amber responded immediately asking me to call her (!).  She was very helpful, and suggested (counter-intuitively) that I was letting the chimney starter go a little too long.  I tried cutting it back to 12 minutes, but had same result. 

So here is what happens... I dump starter coals in... come back to hang meat, close lid.  Temp doesn't budge past low 200's. Frequent lid manipulation would eventually get it higher.  I started leaving the lid cracked the smallest amount possible right from the start, and this would seemingly get the basket "fully engaged"... temps would go over 325 (sometimes well north of that), and then I close the lid -- and it immediately drops to 265.  Given that everyone else sees pretty consistent high 200's to just over 300, I'm really at a loss.  Using Kingsford original.  Using a brand new Maverick Redi-Chek (which is awesome).  And my house is not on an ancient burial grounds. 

Offline Kora Smoker

When it comes to the PBC I've always used lighter fluid to get her going (don't hate me), and I've never had a problem, but then again I've actually never checked the temps. I wait my 20 minutes, hang the meat, and come back when I think the meat is ready and have never had a problem. I would imagine that the more meat you hang the more time it would take for temps to get high, or heck maybe there's something wrong with the charcoal (old maybe)?
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Notes from a complete BBQ rookie after a dozen cooks...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
As for your temp-
Do you have winds? ( Not you personally... ??? 8))  Wind can cool things off some. But - you may want to levee the lid just cracked. This allows more drafting of air thru - nd will "stoke the coals" - resulting in a higher temp.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »
The lighter fluid method is what I use every time with great results. I swear I cannot taste any lighter fluid.

I light it immediately! I do not give the fluid a chance to soak in. I give complete coverage of fluid on the coals. I don't count coals I just fill it until level with the basket. Then I place in the PBC and light.

After 20 minutes the flame is almost out and coals are white hot. The heat coming from them at this point is very intense. Also the barrel itself is hot also.

So you are in Santa Monica near the ocean air. My thought is that the charcoal moisture level is higher due to the humidity and ocean air.

Try this. Take a load of your Kingsford coals and put them in your home oven at 200F for an hour. This should bring the moisture level in the coals down. If you get better results then you might need to look at doing this with your charcoal and then storing it in a air tight container.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:31:27 PM »
First, welcome from Minnesota!

Second, I am with Kora and muebe - I follow the original instructions rom PBC - use the Kingsford charcoal and the Kingsford fluid - I do not taste it when I follow their instructions. Maybe my taste buds are old and worn out - but the food tastes great to me. I have never had a problem with the temps or times and I've used my PBC through Minnesota winters. I love it.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:59:41 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences and welcome. 
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 03:55:45 AM »
Very good write up on the PBC and welcome from SE Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:48:54 AM »
I am in the Valley and my PBC runs around 300.  Use the lighter fluid. Pour in the coals to the top of the basket and fire it up. See what happens for ya................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
Good post, and Welcome from Alabama!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:38:16 AM »
Greetings from Las Vegas and great looking cooks on the PBC.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline PongGod

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 10:00:13 AM »
Thanks for writing this. I'm also very new to this (I've only completed 5 PBC cooks thus far) and have experienced some similar challenges regarding the lighting process and temperature management. But I think after my last couple of phone conversations with Amber and Noah I'm feeling more confident about what I'm doing. I'm also at sea level and was likewise advised to not let the coals in the chimney starter go too long before putting them in the basket (15 minutes tops). I was also guilty of putting too much of the charcoal in the chimney starter versus sitting unlit in the charcoal basket (I can partially blame the YouTube video because the instructions given there are not consistent with what Amber and Noah are now recommending).

In any case, it looks like you've navigated these obstacles with beautiful success. I'm sure it will only get better as you learn more of the PBC's nuances.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline VMac

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:30:09 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and feedback everyone!  I will continue to tweak based on your suggestions, and maybe even try lighter fluid. 

I know it was buried in my rambling post, but anyone have any thoughts on this: "The rods and inside of drum are getting quite grimey.  The rods are easy enough to clean, but do you all ever do anything to the barrel?"  I'm okay letting the grime build up along the inside... just wondering if a little periodic preventative maintenance will save me headache later.  Or is it one of those once/year type activities?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
DO not "clean" the inside of your PBC. You could use a plastic scraper - if it became built up with any creosote like material - but the blackening you are likely seeing is the seasoning of the barrel - and will help slow the rising that would occur if the barrel were "clean" on the inside. Next time yuou are at a BBQ joint - or at a BBQ competition, as to see the inside of their pit.....

There is good reason to leave the patina of aerosolized fats and smoke in there.... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
A warm Illinois welcome to you VMac!  8)
I like Muebe's suggestion questioning the moisture content of your coal. Storage of your charcoal, given where you live, might be critical.After removing moisture from coal give it a whirl. If you still have issues then by all means try the fluid. But if it solves your problem, I'd invest in a few bins to keep your coals dry. I store my pellets and charcoal (open bags) in galvanized cans and unopened bags of both up in the loft of my garage, where they stay dry as a bone.
I agree with Tee, never clean the inside of your barrel, rods yes wipe off but the more we use our cookers the better they perform.
And good luck, but I'm sure you'll figure this dilemma out!

Offline Irish Ed

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »
I was having similar issues with maintaining a decent temperature with my PBC, but think I solved it on my last cook. It seems that when using a chimney to start the charcoal, less is more. I filled the basket with charcoal, then removed exactly 20 briquettes and lit them in the chimney starter, and let them burn for 15 minutes. Dumped them in the basket, and left the lid off for another 10 minutes, then hung my chicken and put the lid on. Temperature was 305 degree 5 minutes after putting lid on, and remained between 300 and 275 degrees for over 4 hours without ever having to crack the lid. On previous cooks, I had lit about 30-40 briquettes in the chimney, and was unable to maintain temps over 250 degrees for more that 2 hours, when it would then dip down to the low 200's... very frustrating. I also kept notes, so that if something didn't go right, I could go back and adjust 1 element at a time until I got it right. Hope this helps.