Author Topic: PBC running hot  (Read 2657 times)

Offline getguinness

PBC running hot
« Reply #-1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »
Hey everybody, its been a few weeks since I posted on here, but after a couple of months of great cooks, I have run into a little hiccup and wondered if anybody else has experienced it. 

The last couple of cooks my PBC has been running hotter than normal.  I've used the same lighting method (lighter fluid, Kingsford original) that has worked like a charm up until now, and the cooker has been settling in at around 325-350* for the entire cook even after I closed the intake as much as it would go.  Now, I know I shouldn't need to mess around with the temps and just let the cooker do its thing, but I was a little concerned since I have heard the expected range for the PBC is around 280-300*.    The higher temps are fine for chicken, but for roasts and ribs and such I would like to keep the temps around 300 or below.

I can play around with blocking the vents with fridge magnets to get the temp down to where I where I want it, but then I lose some of the simplicity that makes the PBC so cool.

Has anybody else had the same experience? 

I also plan on ditching the lighter fluid once the bottle I have is used up and switching back to my chimney starter.  Then I can try starting with fewer lit coals.

It has been pretty hot and humid down here in GA lately, but not enough to justify a 50 degree swing in cooker temps.  I cook all summer on my kettle and don't have that big of a difference. 

Probably gonna give Noah a call after work today, but wanted to see if anybody here had any ideas.

Offline hikerman

Re: PBC running hot
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:34:24 PM »
Is it possible that you are using too much fluid, or waiting too long before you dump lit coals into PBC?

Offline getguinness

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »
Hey Hikerman, it's possible.  I think I used roughly the same amount of fluid, but maybe I got carried away.   I put the food on right at 15 minutes after lighting.   I considered putting the meat on sooner, but any earlier than 15 minutes and the coals are still putting out some pretty thick smelly smoke.  I'm hesitant to put my food in until the smoke settles down.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
I have always followed Noah's instructions and not had a problem - http://pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/
I am sure you have already watched that video, but when I do the lighter fluid (I use Kingston) I've never had a problem. I wait 20 minutes (+ or -) before adding the meat. I'm not sure if this matters that much, but you might try 20 minutes vs. 15.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
PBC running hot
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »
Are some of the cooks without the rebar in place? If so you have four opened vents. It will run hotter if thats the case.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
The time after lighting your chimney of coals is dependent of your elevation. I'm around 600 ft. so I wait 15 minutes. Another variable is number of coals lit. I fill my basket, then count out 20 to go in chimney. Too many coals will ignite unlit coals too fast, with a result of high heat. Are your bars in when you dump lit coals?
Your issue should not be difficult to figure out as it can be one of two issues, air flow or fuel.

Offline getguinness

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
I am about 1000 feet above sea level, so I'm letting it go 15 minutes per the instructions before putting the food on.  I am putting the rebar in as soon as I light the coals, so I don't think that is the issue.  I haven't had this problem until my last two cooks, and as far as I can tell I haven't done anything differently...but maybe I did get carried away with the lighter fluid and too many coals were lit before putting the lid on.  Next cook I will use the chimney starter and see if I have better luck. 

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 11:51:19 PM »
Hey everybody, its been a few weeks since I posted on here, but after a couple of months of great cooks, I have run into a little hiccup and wondered if anybody else has experienced it. 

The last couple of cooks my PBC has been running hotter than normal.  I've used the same lighting method (lighter fluid, Kingsford original) that has worked like a charm up until now, and the cooker has been settling in at around 325-350* for the entire cook even after I closed the intake as much as it would go.  Now, I know I shouldn't need to mess around with the temps and just let the cooker do its thing, but I was a little concerned since I have heard the expected range for the PBC is around 280-300*.    The higher temps are fine for chicken, but for roasts and ribs and such I would like to keep the temps around 300 or below.

I can play around with blocking the vents with fridge magnets to get the temp down to where I where I want it, but then I lose some of the simplicity that makes the PBC so cool.

Has anybody else had the same experience? 

I also plan on ditching the lighter fluid once the bottle I have is used up and switching back to my chimney starter.  Then I can try starting with fewer lit coals.

It has been pretty hot and humid down here in GA lately, but not enough to justify a 50 degree swing in cooker temps.  I cook all summer on my kettle and don't have that big of a difference. 

Probably gonna give Noah a call after work today, but wanted to see if anybody here had any ideas.

I honestly haven't followed any directions. I wanted to make it my own.
My damper is all the way closed, well technically, it's positioned at the very end:

I fill the basket for every cook and light 8 briquettes only. I rarely get to 250 degrees
As  for chicken and wings I light a full chimney (the mini weber chimney).
I have never used lighter fluid,
I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:00:48 AM by 1Bigg_ER »
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »