Author Topic: Fire goes out  (Read 3506 times)

Offline jani80k

• Hamburg, Germany (Origin of the Hamburger)
Fire goes out
« Reply #-1 on: June 18, 2014, 03:36:20 PM »
Hi,

I received my PBC last week and made some ribs and some chicken so far.

On both cooks, the temp went down continously and the fire eventually went out.

I am at sea level so the bottom vent is set to 1/4 open. Should I try opening the bottom vent some more?

Not using Kingsford but the best available charcoal briquets around that excelled in all expert reviews.

To light the PBC I used the lighter fluid method on my first cook, the second time I used the chimney starter method. No difference here.

What I also observed is that the coals close to the bottom vent are almost completely burned to ashes whereas the coals furthest away from the vent are almost not burned at all.

The ribs were really good and it did not really affect the quality that the temp went down but my chickens did not reach 165 °F so I had to finish them in the oven in the kitchen and this led to a not so crispy anymore skin.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Dragon Fire Kamado
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Fire goes out
« on: June 18, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »
Wish l could help you out but I don't own a PBC, but sounds like you need to open the vent more for sure.  I do know they preach Kingsford charcoal a lot so there may be something to that as well.

Muebe or one of the other PBC owners will be along soon to help you out
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »
Was the charcoal your using lump? What kind of charcoal is it?

Sounds like it's the charcoal to me. You may need to open the air shutter more. The charcoal going out is probably due to lack of air.

Also give the charcoal more time to get hot before putting the lid on.

Remember that all of Noah's cooking times are with Kingsford. Even Kingsford comp version gives different temp results. It has to do with its shape and burn rate.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:04:09 PM »
Was the charcoal your using lump? What kind of charcoal is it?

Sounds like it's the charcoal to me. You may need to open the air shutter more. The charcoal going out is probably due to lack of air.

Also give the charcoal more time to get hot before putting the lid on.

Remember that all of Noah's cooking times are with Kingsford. Even Kingsford comp version gives different temp results. It has to do with its shape and burn rate.

I agree w/ muebe.

It might seem crazy - charcoal is charcoal, right? Wrong... I tried some "high falutin" charcoal in my PBC - it worked, but the times and results I was used to were not there. I am sure I could do many, many cooks and establish the times, etc. for the "new" charcoal. But, then I thought - why bother? Kingsford works, every time. Noah's instructions work, and the food is delicious, my family and friends think I am a star... why mess with it.

I'd drop PBC folks a note - I bet they have a solution for you right away.

Good luck!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »
Sounds like its not ready when you close it up.    Try letting it go longer. Closer to 20min.  Make sure almost all the tops are red or close.  I have had the coals burn hotter by the vent.  it happens sometimes.   When your running cold crack the lid for 10 ten minutes then check it.   As far as charcoal, one time I didnt buy kingsford. 
That was the only time in 20years I didnt.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline PongGod

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:48:47 AM »
Another thing to consider when using a chimney starter is how much charcoal goes in the chimney versus how much goes in the basket. According to their YouTube video, you only put a single layer of unlit coals in the basket and the remainder in the chimney starter. By my estimation, that's about 2/3 of the charcoal being prelit in the chimney, but this contrary to the advice the Glanvilles will give you. You really only need about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total charcoal starting out in the chimney while all the rest waits in the basket. Basically, you only need a single layer of lit coals covering the top of the unlit coals in the basket, the opposite of what is conveyed in the video. Once I started doing this, I began getting much better results with sustained heat over a longer period of time.

I too began using a charcoal other than Kingsford Original, but since I adjusted the charcoal lighting process at the same time I switched to Kingsford, it's hard to say how much of a difference the different brand of charcoal actually made. At some point, I'll try using my old charcoal brand again to see how much difference it really makes.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline jani80k

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:55:15 AM »
If you pay close attention to my location, you can see that I am not from the US and unfortunately, here in Europe Kingsford does not sell their products.

There are numerous types of charcoal and I picked the one that is considered the best chracoal briquett. It is made in Germany from beech wood. The quality is very consistent over different batches and even over years. It puts out a medium heat level very steadily over many hours without peaks or drops. Ambitous BBQ people around here all use it in their WSMs, UDSs etc.. It would be ideal for me if I could get the PBC to work with this.

Maybe next time, I will open the bottom vent completely and if the fire dies on me again, I will switch to a different briquett charcoal or try mixing it with lump. I wonder if it is enough to open up the bottom vent or if I should crack the lid a bit, too. Cracking the lid would not be an option for long cooks, I guess.

But for now, I won't give up, it might even be something completely different like the tin foil under the charcoal basket blocking the airflow etc.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:24:15 AM by jani80k »
Dragon Fire Kamado
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 04:51:38 AM »
Contact the PBC people,they will be able to tell you an alternative that will work
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
I have to crack the lid from time to time.  Its only to raise the temp of the barrel.  Try it next time, it really helps getting the coals going again.  The bottom vent adjustment doesn't change it much.  Cracking the lid about a 1/4 inch (6.5mm) is the best way to get the coals kicked up.  You can also add a few lit coals to the basket.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »
jani80k,

Sorry, I didn't notice your location and consider the different charcoal that might be available. It sounds like you made a logical choice to try. You mentioned the aluminum foil to cover the bottom of the PBC. I have to tell on myself - I thought I was going to be real clever and lined the basket with foil - would make clean up very easy. Well it WAS easy as I could never keep the coals lit - no airflow...  :-[ So I went back to lining the bottom of the barrel and ensuring that it did not block the vent or restrict airflow.

I would suggest sending an email to Noah & Amber detailing the problem and what you have tried. I am sure they will do their best to help you succeed.

Good luck!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline jani80k

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »
Thank you all for your input. It is highly appreciated. I wrote an email to Amber, let's see what she replies. I will just keep on trying until it works out. The taste the PBC produces is just too good.
Dragon Fire Kamado
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline jani80k

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 03:13:09 AM »
I wrote an Email to Amber describing my problem. She replied I am letting the coals burn for too long when I start the PBC. Will try to let the coals burn shorter before I dump them in the charcoal basket next time. At sea level (I am at 72 ft) you can easily send the coals over the peak during ignition phase which will make them die sooner during the cook.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:42:18 AM by jani80k »
Dragon Fire Kamado
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline lctrcbddha

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 04:19:19 PM »
I'm curious how long you were letting the initial burn go for, and how short you've been advised.

My PBC never goes out - it eventually all burns.  But it does run cool and seems to prefer burning through the briquettes nearest the vent first, even with the vent set all the way "closed".  But I haven't tried an initial burn shorter than 15 minutes yet (or longer than 25).

Offline PongGod

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 01:54:38 AM »
I wrote an Email to Amber describing my problem. She replied I am letting the coals burn for too long when I start the PBC. Will try to let the coals burn shorter before I dump them in the charcoal basket next time. At sea level (I am at 72 ft) you can easily send the coals over the peak during ignition phase which will make them die sooner during the cook.

This is the same advice they gave me when I was having difficulties getting the internal meat temperatures steadily rising. So far it seems to be making a positive difference.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Smokey Joe

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »
I'm curious how long you were letting the initial burn go for, and how short you've been advised.

My PBC never goes out - it eventually all burns.  But it does run cool and seems to prefer burning through the briquettes nearest the vent first, even with the vent set all the way "closed".  But I haven't tried an initial burn shorter than 15 minutes yet (or longer than 25).

Same here. My coals burn from closest to vent, then towards back. Next time I will try dumping lit coals (8-10) in back to see how that goes.