Author Topic: Anyone have a favorite dry rub for brisket?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Hub

Re: Anyone have a favorite dry rub for brisket?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 01:20:05 PM »
I've tried most of the commercial rubs and a few concoctions of my own -- all were good.  But, I keep going back to a medium coat of good ol' Montreal Steak by McCormick.  It is relatively inexpensive compared to most and I like the garlic and onion touch it adds.  The saltiness disappears during the cook.  For a finish, I put some in the coffee grinder and powder it, then sprinkle very lightly on the finished product -- slices or burnt ends. 

What does the most for brisket, in my opinion, is the injection.  I use Butcher's for Beef mixed 1/2 strength.  Moist brisket is much more pleasurable than dry.  Also, if you sauce it, just use some of the juice from the foil or pan stage instead of anything sweet. 

Finally, I always use mesquite pellets.  Some find it too strong, but I think it compliments the beefiness factor.  In a PBC you could add some mesquite chips early in the cook.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline aliengriller

Re: Anyone have a favorite dry rub for brisket?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 07:04:32 PM »
I have used Jeff Phllips rub recipt (smoking-meat.com) with a few tweaks of my own.   Super all purpose rub, use it on many almost everything.   I won't give the recipe cause selling his rub and sauce recipes is how Jeff keeps his web site going,   A good site, was a bit leary of smoking til I got on his list and he has helped me a lot--super recipes if you want to sign up for his emails--web site above.