Author Topic: Pit Boss 700 or Camp Chef SE  (Read 19029 times)

Offline hd002

Re: Pit Boss 700 or Camp Chef SE
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2017, 08:01:17 PM »
So 3.3lb Babyback , 225F , smoke setting on P6 4 hrs 2-1-1.
 Generally I set the controller to smoke. But I wanted to be at 225 so I adjusted the smoke P setting  Really happy with the  added  smoke
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:01:03 AM by hd002 »

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »
Juicy looking ribs - and NICE smoke ring there !
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Subvet

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
I did some St. Louis on my 700 on similar setting for my first cook last week.  Didn't get such a great smoke ring as yours but the ribs were really good. What kind of pellets are you using?
-- Ron --
The Good One Open Range Smoker/Grill
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Weber 22"  Master Touch Kettle
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline hd002

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2017, 09:59:58 PM »
This was with Pit Boss Competition pellets and was smoked for 2 hrs on upper rack in Smoker.  I should have smoked 2 and  put one on bottom rack.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2017, 10:08:52 PM »
Great job on those ribs  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Subvet

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2017, 08:19:29 AM »
This was with Pit Boss Competition pellets and was smoked for 2 hrs on upper rack in Smoker.  I should have smoked 2 and  put one on bottom rack.
Smoking on the upper rack is an interesting idea. Most of the smoke is up there before it goes out the holes in the back. Gonna try it next time. Thanks.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline sclawrenc

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2017, 07:33:24 PM »
Both of these deals are too good to pass up , but I dont think the wife will appreciate two big boxes  ;)
The direct flame and for the  size of the Pit Boss is really good deal ,  but the Camp Chef seems to have a lot of positive reviews . I do  recall reading a couple post where the SE flame went out .

Im a little worried on the initial quality of the Pit Boss should I be ?

Im getting one or the other in the next 2 or 3 days, oooh the BBQ stress !!

I am also trying to decide between these two pellet smokers. Walmart has them on clearance for about the same price. Decisions!! Are you still happy with your pitt boss? Thanks.

Offline Subvet

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2017, 10:28:31 PM »
Both of these deals are too good to pass up , but I dont think the wife will appreciate two big boxes  ;)
The direct flame and for the  size of the Pit Boss is really good deal ,  but the Camp Chef seems to have a lot of positive reviews . I do  recall reading a couple post where the SE flame went out .

Im a little worried on the initial quality of the Pit Boss should I be ?

Im getting one or the other in the next 2 or 3 days, oooh the BBQ stress !!

I am also trying to decide between these two pellet smokers. Walmart has them on clearance for about the same price. Decisions!! Are you still happy with your pitt boss? Thanks.

I took my PB 700 back to WM after two weeks. Fed all my pellets and caught on fire second time I used it.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline sclawrenc

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2017, 07:04:11 AM »
Hi Subvet, it caught on fire?  What did Pitt Boss say about that?  Which one did you end up going with?

I can get either of these that the OP mentioned for basically the same price so trying to decide.

hd002, you still happy with your purchase?  Any comments or suggestions that you might have looking back on your experience?

Offline Subvet

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2017, 12:43:10 PM »
Hi Subvet, it caught on fire?  What did Pitt Boss say about that?  Which one did you end up going with?

I can get either of these that the OP mentioned for basically the same price so trying to decide.

hd002, you still happy with your purchase?  Any comments or suggestions that you might have looking back on your experience?

Pit Boss said it was a faulty controller. They sent me one but while it was enroute I decided to not keep the 700. Why should I have to take apart and replace the electronics after having it for two weeks. No thanks.

I began looking at the Rec Tec Mini and the Grilla. The Grilla won out and I received it Thursday. It is more expensive than the PB but is much higher quality imo. I got some discount by purchasing one from their very small 'scratch and dent' inventory. Will be seasoning it today.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline sclawrenc

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
How was the customer service for the Pitt?  I completely understand not keeping it if you got a faulty one. 

Hope you enjoy your new Grilla!!

Offline Subvet

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2017, 05:50:43 PM »
How was the customer service for the Pitt?  I completely understand not keeping it if you got a faulty one. 

Hope you enjoy your new Grilla!!

The PB customer service was excellent.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline hd002

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2017, 01:01:09 PM »
Im still going strong with the Pit Boss , takes a little bit to get used to the temp spikes at the end of a grill or smoke. But it does a really good job with everything I ve smoked .

Just dont ever leave it in the rain or you will be hammering out some pellet cement from the auger.

Subvet
How is that Grilla doing ?

Offline Subvet

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »
Im still going strong with the Pit Boss , takes a little bit to get used to the temp spikes at the end of a grill or smoke. But it does a really good job with everything I ve smoked .

Just dont ever leave it in the rain or you will be hammering out some pellet cement from the auger.

Subvet
How is that Grilla doing ?
Very pleased with the Grilla. The controller holds the temps fairly tight. Get some 15-25 degree swings during a cook. No hot or cold spots on the grill. I think that is due to the round design. Pellet consumption is very reasonable.
-- Ron --
Grilla OG
Weber Genesis III
Grill Grates
Vortex (Medium)
Slow 'n Sear
Drip 'n Grill

Offline nikon5400

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
I have the same smoker (700fb) and have a few questions -

With indirect in "smoke" setting I get up to 180 when I start it, but then it drops to 110-130 range. I believe manual says "smoke" is 170-220, but I don't ever get that. I tried 4 different pellet brands\flavors. The outside temperature is in 70s

With 200 I get 190-220, so it seems like only "smoke" setting has issue.

I called about this issue a few times and was told to change p setting to 2, use "200", vacuum air holes, get new pellets... last time I called I was told to use p7(??).

Is that normal?

With B&B pellets on"high" I get 495 on digital and about 525 on lid thermometer. So, I know air holes are not blocked and pellets are not the issue (although with PB (40lb bag) I get up to 425 on high, but I don't use these. they add no flavor at all. I guess I can use these to clean the grates)

Can someone explain how P setting works with settings other than "smoke" and "high"? If I set it to 200, isn't the unit supposed to figure out how often to turn auger on regardless of outside temperature? Like if it's 40 or 80 outside, what will be the difference between "200/P0" and "200/P7" ?  I understand at P0 it'd supply more pellets, which would make it run hotter while with P7 it'll do the opposite, but if it's set to 200, why P value even matters?

Another question - I used propane vertical smoker before and I loved the results. I think the main difference in flavor between propane smoker and this PB is - wood chips which I can control and water pan. I tried putting water pan on grates, but it had 0 effect since water does not evaporate at low 200s indirect. Is there a way to add water pan to this unit?

How do you guys cook on direct on this thing? They say it's 8in1, but if the lid has to be closed at all times, how do you use grill on it? Can it really be used as a grill, or should I get a real grill instead?

I've used charcoal and propane grill\smoker before, but because of the winds I decided to try pellet. I like the flexibility of "set it and forget it", but I like my meat slightly softer which I guess requires water pan(?).

Thanks.

P.S. Where do you guys store pellets during winter? I purchased about 20 bags, currently they are in my garage, but I wonder if I should bring them inside to my basement. I live in NE, on cold nights temperature in my garage drops to mid 30s. Also, can pellets be used instead of wood chips in charcoal smoker (i'm considering weber)?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:50:21 AM by nikon5400 »