Author Topic: Happy Place  (Read 4216 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Happy Place
« Reply #-1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:11:42 PM »
I was doing some thinking (always gets me in trouble, lol) and I started thinking about how life is full of struggles, challenges, good times and bad, happy and sad. I seem to go through times where I feel down and out, I feel worthless sometimes. I know that's a bold thing to say and probably best kept to myself but oh well, I wear my emotions on my sleeve and I am not apologetic about it :)

I started thinking that I am in control of my mental and physical well being and shouldn't let things stress me out. I have gotten away from the things that keep me mentally and physically occupied, things that keep the negative at bay and allow me to enjoy life. I didn't really make a New Year's Resolution but I am going to put forth my best effort to be happy and STAY happy, despite what life throws at me.

That little video I did, as silly as it was, was fun and it made me happy! Tooling around with motorcycles......yep, makes me happy. Cooking on the smokers/grills makes me happy. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed cooking outside and plan on getting back into the practice of doing so.

So...what makes you all happy? What are some of the things that you enjoy?
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

Happy Place
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
My kids make me happy. Love every minute with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RG

Re: Happy Place
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »
My kids make me happy. Love every minute with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's always a good answer. My youngest is 20 and oldest is soon to be 25 in April. I miss them being little, lol.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »
SWMBO and good Scotch. Usually in that order.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
SWMBO and good Scotch. Usually in that order.
...But not always... 8)

Spending time with SWMBO
Love to cook and eat

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »
Time with family
A good dual sport motorcycle ride with friends
Putting the pellet grill through the paces
Golf
Time at the lake
So many things so little time.......
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:32:04 PM »
You guys already know I love smoking meats and making my own sausage, hams, bacon, etc.

Since being diagnosed with Diabetes I am down about 75 lbs since this time last year, I have gotten the Diabetes under control, really been feeling better and have been spending a lot of time getting back into fishing and hunting this past year.

In fact I've jokingly said that loosing the weight has driven me into an early mid-life crisis; I had to sell my old 12' V-hull boat and bought a used 14' Jon boat which I've been turning into a mini bass boat of sorts.  LOL
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
Had no idea what SWMBO stood for, looked it up, "She Who Must Be Obeyed"  LOL  I'll stop there.

RG, at work I have people complain about stress and ask me how i manage to be so laid back and perform at the level I perform.
My reply is that stress is mostly self imposed.  How we look at things and handle what comes our way come from within, take control of that and you take control of stress.

It also helps to be 62 years old, see light at the end of the tunnel, and have a good old case of Idon'tgiveashititis!   :D :D
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:19:01 PM »
My family
My home
My friends
Genesis (The band)
Boating on the ocean
Swimming in the pool or lake
Phil Collins]
Peter Gabriel
Mike & the mechanics
Steve Hackett
Anthony Phillips
Tailgating
Backyard movies
Cooking outside
Cardinals Baseball & football
Jets football
Bruins & blues Hockey
Celtics
Whiskey
Beer
wine
Irish coffee
Steak
Lobster
Ice cream
Roast beef
Club Sandwiches
Nantucket Island
Toms Videos

Ok that's it   ......for now ;) ;) ;) ;)

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »
Whenever I get to feeling "low", it's usually because I've started complaining about things...and I don't have much to complain about.

In times like that, I have to remember to be thankful. In every situation, I choose a response, whether positive or negative. That response will affect my attitude for the rest of the day.  Many times I make the wrong choice and it drags me down.  I can reverse it when I pause and gives thanks for the good things that have happened to me. A friend of mine calls it "an attitude of gratitude".
I really enjoy cooking - indoors and outdoors. I have a number of grills to use and more gadgets than I remember.  I remember a time when I was couldn't buy a bag of charcoal.  I am thankful.
A bag of charcoal split open one time and I really went off  about it.  It wasn't a thing - I had it all cleaned up in minutes, but my response caused me to become so upset that I decided not to cook that day.  If I had shrugged it off and thought about how much fun I was was going to have cooking, I would have been much happier.
I believe God has been good to me in so many ways, and probably most through the experience of cooking.  I think of the good food we enjoy, of course. But the greatest gift He has given me through the grill has been some mighty good friends - friends I would never have met if I weren't cooking.  I believe it was God who gave Deb the idea to give me a grill for Christmas 10 or 12 Years ago.  He used that one grill to light a fire in me to learn how to cook better.  Throughout the learning process He has brought folks like you alongside to help me and to encourage me when I'm down.
I don't believe in "chance" or "luck", but believe most things happen for a reason.  This whole "grillin' thing" has been one of the best things for me because of the people I've met and folks like y'all who I know from a distance.
When I retired, cooking and talking about it afterwards has helped to fill a void from leaving the marketplace. I had no idea it would be such a blessing.
You know, I've talked myself into a pretty happy place.
Reminds me of a song that begins, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow..."
I hope you find your happy place today.
You're a blessing...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »
Jack, beautifully said sir! That's what's great about life, we all have different perspectives and we can all learn from each other. Your words ring true in my heart, thanks for sharing!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
RG good post...Jack your words are so true
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Pappymn

Happy Place
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 01:18:49 PM »
RG good post...Jack your words are so true
X2
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »
Had no idea what SWMBO stood for, looked it up, "She Who Must Be Obeyed"  LOL  I'll stop there.

RG, at work I have people complain about stress and ask me how i manage to be so laid back and perform at the level I perform.
My reply is that stress is mostly self imposed.  How we look at things and handle what comes our way come from within, take control of that and you take control of stress.

It also helps to be 62 years old, see light at the end of the tunnel, and have a good old case of Idon'tgiveashititis!   :D :D

D@mn, that's exactly what I was going to say . . . 'cept I'm only 61 and prefer DILLIGAF ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »

D@mn, that's exactly what I was going to say . . . 'cept I'm only 61 and prefer DILLIGAF ! ! !

Had to look that one up also.  Made me laugh out loud right here at my work desk.    :thumbup:

I'm going to have to get an urban dictionary so I can communicate in our shorthand world.

BD
[/quote]
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4