Author Topic: The Smoker, Roaster & Grill (SRG)  (Read 129152 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
The Smoker, Roaster & Grill (SRG)
« Reply #-1 on: June 20, 2012, 12:39:42 AM »

The Smoker,Roaster& Grill (SRG) Is the big brother of TBE. This unit has a chamber diameter of 15 in's and will cook a 25lb turkey where TBE only would do a 16lb.  Now there are two versions of this cooker the original SRG came with a flask for adding smoke to the meat where the new version has a smoker box built into the side of the unit which uses the flame of the burner to lite the chips/pellets for smoking and really does a better job than the first version.

The SRG comes with high and low settings with a little adjustment in the med section of the control. This unit puts out 18,000 BTU's on high and 9,000 BTU's on low. With the solid lid (unlike the mesh lid from TBE) you can turn the unit to low and get somewhat of a good pulled pork yet turn it to high and get a very good crispy turkey or chicken. Now unlike TBE the SRG comes with a grilling grate that uses the infrared to heat it up and capable of 600 + temps without to much trouble so grilling is easy and you can sear a steak just as good as a high dollar grill without spending a lot of money (199.00) is the going rate.

Now with a few mods you can actually drop the cooking temps down even further than that of the factory settings. IMHO TBE does a better job with crisping chicken than the SRG does but don't get me wrong the SRG makes VERY good chicken/turkeys.     The SRG is one of the best all around roasters and grills on the market today.  Heck I proved this last year by taking 3 of these units to a cooking competition and took 4th over all with a 2nd in chicken, 6th in ribs and 7th in pulled pork. I took on Big Green eggs and larg stick burners
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
The Smoker, Roaster & Grill (SRG)
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:27:42 AM »
I love my SRG. The one complaint that I have is that I don't find that enough smoke gets into the SRG itself being that it sits between the outer wall and the chamber. The only way that I see the smoke being able to get in is thru some small holes that are at the top of the unit where the chamber drops in to the unit.
I haven't yet tried the Tommy ring but I do have a ring waiting to try out so I can load pellets around it at the bottom.

Btw, nice write up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: The Smoker, Roaster & Grill (SRG)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »
another great write up.  well, if you could have only one out of the 3.  what would it be? 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:41 AM »
The SRG is absolutely fabulous cooker..it grills too. Did  mention it grills too. Mine gets up way over 600º...what a grill...it smokes too, I still use a Tommy ring in it and have even added the amaze-n-smoker to it. I have not played with the low on it yet. I'll get to it one of these days.  Pammie .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:01:48 AM »
another great write up.  well, if you could have only one out of the 3.  what would it be?
I use this cooker SRG a lot in the winter, mainly as a small quick grill that's easy to put a little smoke flavor into the food.
It's the best for poultry!
Don't use for smoker much because I prefer the results from my charcoal smokers.
If buying 1 this is one to get
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
The smoke daddy is also an option to add plenty of smoke. Here is mine installed on mt TBE ;)

Smoke pipe comes into the chamber through the bottom at the drain hole. It has an umbrella cap to keep grease out and still allows grease to drain out into the tray...

Smoke daddy mounted on the inlet pipe...

Got smoke? :)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
what is the temp range for the srg?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »
what is the temp range for the srg?
Well your not cooking with heat so temp range does not really matter.  But I did take readings on mine and low runs somewhere around 230 and high top down 540+
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
i cook butts at 225.  230 will work.  so low setting is 230.  thats pretty good.  might have to start looking for one.  i have seen smokin petes cook some great looking potatoes and corn in his srg.  now, how im i going to sneak it in the backyard w/out the wife seeing another piece of bbq equipment in the back yard.  already got 5 grills / smokers out there and she thinks thats to much.    :P
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:24:53 PM »
i cook butts at 225.  230 will work.  so low setting is 230.  thats pretty good.  might have to start looking for one.  i have seen smokin petes cook some great looking potatoes and corn in his srg.  now, how im i going to sneak it in the backyard w/out the wife seeing another piece of bbq equipment in the back yard.  already got 5 grills / smokers out there and she thinks thats to much.    :P
5 grills, heck I'm up to 14 now and looking to add more!!  Kimmie is going to kill me at some point  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:36:05 PM »
Just do what I do Sparky....just toss it on the patio and then butter her up.....

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 03:37:51 PM »
I will be posting my mods for the SRG soon, just got to find pictures!  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 08:33:46 PM »
From factory low setting about 350F , high about 500F ( great for smoke roasting poultry with a crisp skin)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 12:10:03 AM »
Mods for the SRG..........

OK, I have described the SRG as it comes from the factory,  but now I want to give you the mods that will make it even better.  When got the first SRG (pre-production model) I was ask to cook with it to see how I liked it and compare it to TBE.  Well I did many cooks but found it lacked a few things and I couldn't smoke/cook pulled pork like I wanted to. So I went to thinking on “How to make it better” and these mods are what I came up with.

The mods I have made can be done be anyone and they are cheap to do.  You just need a few tools,   a little common sense and no fear when it come to cutting up a $200.00 cooker.

So here they are mods to help make your SRG a better cooker.........

Mod # 1 ..   Tommy Ring.  Anybody with TBE will tell you a Tommy Ring is a must if you want to add smoke or if your having problems with the lower part of the meat your cooking not getting done on time.   A Tommy Ring is an 11 or 10 in cake ring with the bottom cut out or a cheese cake (spring form) ring will work just fine. They can be found almost anywhere and are less then $10  (a great mod)IMHO
The newer SRG has a smoker box and 1 or 2 in's added to the legs of the basket (to get it out of the dead zone which they say does not exist)

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »
Mod # 2...  Breather hole on the lid.   I cut a 4in hole in my lid to help remove hot air from the chamber
so to lower the temps  and allow better air flow         

After I cut the breather hole i found it necessary to block the side vent to help with air flow

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker