Author Topic: Ultimate Pint Glass Challenge  (Read 20599 times)

Offline Redsparow1

• Backyard Movies
Ultimate Pint Glass Challenge
« Reply #-1 on: September 13, 2016, 05:35:46 AM »
I know this isn't exactly bbq related, but since for many of us having a cold one while working the pit is part of the fun, I thought I would give it a shot.  Hawaii is great, it is a magical place to live, but it is a hard place to keep your beer cold!  This led me to begin a search for the best way to keep my beer cold.  I do some homebrewing and I like to keg, so I took insulating bottles out of contention.  I did a simple experiment comparing the efficiency of a pint glass, a tervis tumbler, and the hydroflask true pint.  As you might expect, the hydroflask did the best job, followed by the Tervis Tumbler, and then the pint glass.  The full post is here: http://www.backyardmovies.net/best-pint-glass-challenge/

I thought that the difference in the 3 justified the added expense.  The measuring cup was a bit fogged up, so it doesn't do the best job of showing the true amount of water that came out of the Hydroflask True Pint, but I think the chunk of ice tells the tale alright.

Please don't judge my experimental technique so harshly...I was so good at Chem 101, I had to take it twice!  I also have a 32oz Ozark Trail cup that I want to test, but since it is much larger than the Pints, I didn't think it was a fair comparison.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Ultimate Pint Glass Challenge
« on: September 13, 2016, 10:32:08 AM »
Nice experiment!!! If you drink it fast enough it don't get cold!!! :) :) :) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 10:47:05 AM »
I load my OM 30 oz'er at night with a tray of ice and water and have ice & water till the next afternoon..I love that and got rid of all my old stuff that didn't work.     .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
I like the topic and experiment.  We have the same problem with fast warming here on the Southern Coast. I drink a lot more beer trying to stay ahead of the temp!
   I like the look of the Hydroflask... I need to find one in a store to look at.  For the price it has to be something I really like.
 If you come up with more be sure and post them...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »
I collect pint beer glasses from bars all over the country when I travel and also went to a restaurant supply and bought a case of pint bar glasses. I have a lot of just plain pint glasses.  I have never had a pint of beer get warm in any type of glass I use. Now my wife has her Yeti tumbler she likes since she sips hers a little slower than I do. I can't imagine a time I would need to keep a beer cold for an hour or or two.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
Nice experiment!!! If you drink it fast enough it don't get cold!!! :) :) :) Don

Chug a Lug it is  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Redsparow1

• Backyard Movies
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 09:58:53 PM »
Even with the hydroflask, you aren't going to keep a beer cold for an hour or two.  I find when I am hosting a BBQ, I am usually so busy running around I don't have time to finish my beer all in one setting.  The hydroflasks keep it cold long enough for me to drink it.  Also, even using coasters it is so humid on Hawaii the condensation overflows the coasters, not a problem for the hydroflask, and it keeps my wife happy.  I feel like there is a saying, happy wife..happy something.... 

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »

You took the beer words right out of my mouth Don
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
I was seen looking at the Hydroflask True Pint ;) after this thread. Thanks for starting it!
 So I somehow ended up getting one for my birthday.... ;D
It may be my new favorite cup.
Nice thin rim, good size in my hand and very well made. It does not come with a lid but it is suppose to be a beer glass...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 07:44:36 PM »
Even with the hydroflask, you aren't going to keep a beer cold for an hour or two.  I find when I am hosting a BBQ, I am usually so busy running around I don't have time to finish my beer all in one setting.  The hydroflasks keep it cold long enough for me to drink it.  Also, even using coasters it is so humid on Hawaii the condensation overflows the coasters, not a problem for the hydroflask, and it keeps my wife happy.  I feel like there is a saying, happy wife..happy something....

Insulated sippy cups work when your on the move :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
Being an old Retired Army Master Aviator I remember we chilled our beer by hitting a case with with a CO2 fire extinguisher.
Beer alway came out chilled perfectly. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Redsparow1

• Backyard Movies
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »
Thank you for your service and I just hope that this kind of wisdom is being passed along today!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 11:57:28 AM »
I collect pint beer glasses from bars all over the country when I travel and also went to a restaurant supply and bought a case of pint bar glasses. I have a lot of just plain pint glasses.  I have never had a pint of beer get warm in any type of glass I use. Now my wife has her Yeti tumbler she likes since she sips hers a little slower than I do. I can't imagine a time I would need to keep a beer cold for an hour or or two.

Ken I couldn't agree more! And to add to your thoughts, no other material allows the beer to only taste of beer than glass! 8)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
Being an old Retired Army Master Aviator I remember we chilled our beer by hitting a case with with a CO2 fire extinguisher.
Beer alway came out chilled perfectly. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Art, tough times call for tough measures. And i also have chilled beer using this foolproof method! ::)