Author Topic: Help me pick my next smoker/grill  (Read 1337 times)

Offline MarkInMd

Help me pick my next smoker/grill
« Reply #-1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:12:06 PM »
So, I need a little advice in choosing my by next BBQ. I currently have an 18” WSM with a BBQ Guru electronic controller setup accompanied by a crappy old propane grill that is in desperate need of replacement.
I have had good results with WSM, but yearn for something that is a little quicker to set up and that I can use through the winters in Maryland. I mainly smoke brisket and pork butts with occasional ribs. I’d like to branch out to a few more things, but the setup and cleanup time are holding me back. I also find that the 18” diameter of the WSM has often been limiting when trying to smoke a full packer brisket. I really enjoy a strong smoke flavor to my brisket.
In my search I have been very attracted to the pellet grills/smokers. In that department I had pretty much settled on the However, I have read multiple times that they do not produce much of a smoke flavor on the meat. I have not had an opportunity to taste and meat cooked on a pellet grill so I only have other people’s experience to draw from. I’ve also read multiple reviews from people who have augmented their cooks with smoker tubes etc., but found they made little difference.
In the pellet grill department I had kind of settled on the Blaz’n Grill Works Grand Slam with all the trimmings but I am hesitant due to the potential lack of the ability to impart a nice smoke flavor.
Another option is to go with BGE XL and use the BBQ Guru controller with that. I’ve heard that the BGE will burn considerably longer that’s the WSM during cold weather or rainy conditions. However, then I’m back to charcoal and the setup and cleanup that it entails. I honestly don’t ‘now a whole lot about the BGE from a technical perspective, so I’m not sure if it is much easier to set up and cleanup afterwards than the WSM.
So, my questions aren this: what’s the real deal with pellet grill when it comes to smoking, if you keep the meat wet and run it at 180-190 for a few hours can you impart some good smoke flavor? What is the real difference? My plan would be to sell the WSM after I buy the new grill. I don’t have much interest having it hanging around with a new setup available.
So, BBQ gurus, what say you?

Offline UWFSAE

Re: Help me pick my next smoker/grill
« on: February 11, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »
I purchased a Blaz'n Grid Iron with all the bells and whistles and find that there is sufficient smoke flavor for most folks with the 180° phase and bumping to a higher temp.  I've found the smoke flavor to be comparable to Yoder and superior to RecTec, but it's a matter of increments rather than huge leaps.  The addition of a smoke tube, like those from A-Maze-N, will likely get you to whatever point you need.  I'd argue that the pellet is the most significant issue.  Hickory pellets will be more pronounced than mixes, which often have a nuanced flavor due to the inclusion of fruit woods.  If you prefer that more robust smoky flavor, I'd go with hickory pellets and use a smoke tube to give you the most pop.  I have owned a stick burner in the past and pellets do provide a milder flavor than those ... but I think there is enough quality smoke for me to get the flavor profile I want without a fundamental compromise.

Big Green Eggs are wonderful as well, but lack the convenience of a pellet smoker from most manufacturers.  They are awesome for many things (some of the best homemade pizza I've had has come off one) but I think the pellet genre is superior for smoking.  As I'm more than content with my Blaz'n for searing (due in no small part to the addition of a set of GrillGrates) I found this pellet grill was the best of all worlds. 

There are plenty of good brands, and many will have controller settings to produce maximum smoke.  A simple calibration on my Blaz'n gave me quality "good" smoke at temps below 250°.  And despite the apocryphal value of "smoke rings", most pellet grills will give you that aesthetic as well.

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline MarkInMd

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 06:07:05 AM »
I purchased a Blaz'n Grid Iron with all the bells and whistles and find that there is sufficient smoke flavor for most folks with the 180° phase and bumping to a higher temp.  I've found the smoke flavor to be comparable to Yoder and superior to RecTec, but it's a matter of increments rather than huge leaps.  The addition of a smoke tube, like those from A-Maze-N, will likely get you to whatever point you need.  I'd argue that the pellet is the most significant issue.  Hickory pellets will be more pronounced than mixes, which often have a nuanced flavor due to the inclusion of fruit woods.  If you prefer that more robust smoky flavor, I'd go with hickory pellets and use a smoke tube to give you the most pop.  I have owned a stick burner in the past and pellets do provide a milder flavor than those ... but I think there is enough quality smoke for me to get the flavor profile I want without a fundamental compromise.

Big Green Eggs are wonderful as well, but lack the convenience of a pellet smoker from most manufacturers.  They are awesome for many things (some of the best homemade pizza I've had has come off one) but I think the pellet genre is superior for smoking.  As I'm more than content with my Blaz'n for searing (due in no small part to the addition of a set of GrillGrates) I found this pellet grill was the best of all worlds. 

There are plenty of good brands, and many will have controller settings to produce maximum smoke.  A simple calibration on my Blaz'n gave me quality "good" smoke at temps below 250°.  And despite the apocryphal value of "smoke rings", most pellet grills will give you that aesthetic as well.

Thanks so much for such a thorough reply. Have you actually used the A-Maze-N smoke tube in your BGW? Although the reviews on Amazon are mostly glowing it seems as though most are from people that I would not consider to be true BBQers, more like people trying to smoke with their traditional grills. The few reviews from people with pellet smokers who appear to know something about real smoking were not as good.

Did you get the searing kit with the BGW and then add the GrillGrates, or did you just add them without the searing kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
I do have the A-Maz-N 12” Tube and used it twice.  The only times I will use it moving forward will be for beef or lamb cooks that run at a higher temp with shorter cooks, or for cold smoking applications (which is where most “real” bbqers would agree it has legitimate utility).  With the 180° phase I get what I’m looking for.  That being said, I would have zero qualms about using it with low-and-slow cooks if I wanted a heavier smoke profile.

I do have the GrillGrates and did not purchase the searing kit (though I may add it in the future as it is relatively low cost).  The GrillGrates gave me approximately 150° above set temp and are definitely as advertised, with tremendous heat transfer and produce nice sear marks.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »
A pellet grill has a clean burning fire. Nothing is better than a clean burning fire. You are coming from a WSM so you are used to charcoal and smoldering wood chunks.

Many a new pellet grill owner comes from pits that did not have clean burning fires and most are used to "oversmoked" foods. Pellet grills these days have come up with programming ways to get more smoke production at lower smoking temps. 180-225 range.

I am not a big fan of smoke tubes. They just let chips or pellets smolder. Smoldering chips or pellets are not clean smoke.

These days, if I am not running my offset (The Smoke can manage a fire :) ), I only use my pellet grill. Nothing beats wood.

You can cook anything in a pellet grill you can do on your WSM or oven in the house. Smoked pot roast and mac and cheese are insanely good off of pellet grill.

You will taste more of your seasonings and your meat when you have a clean burning fire. Smoke should be a component of your final flavor, not the main act.

I think you will love a Blazin pellet grill. Everyone here that has one speaks very highly of them. You will have a built in support group of pellet owners.

Also consider all the different flavor profiles you can come up with by mixing different pellets together.....................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »
For what it’s worth... it wasn’t to long ago that I had 3 Kamado Joes sitting in my backyard. I was a kamado NUT! Then it happened... I discovered the pellet grill. Last February, right around this same time, I sold the last of my 3 kamados. Since then, I’ve been cooking almost exclusively on a MAK 2 Star. I still use my Weber kettle from time to time for some of my high temp grilling/searing. Comparing my MAK to a ceramic kamado... one imparts a super clean/pleasant smoke profile, and the other a stagnant dirty smoke profile.  As previously mentioned, when you smolder wood chunks you will produce a dirtier smoke. And then on a kamado you add, IMO, a second problem. The kamado is so incredibly efficient, and the fire is so tiny due to the efficiency, that you literally have a tiny fire keeping your kamado at low n slow temps with very little airflow moving through the cooking chamber. What does that mean for your meat? It will be sitting in slow moving stagnant smoke for hours on end while you cook it. Bottom line ... I couldn’t believe how pleasant the smoke profile was when I switched to pellet cooking. 
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:24:30 AM »
For what it’s worth... it wasn’t to long ago that I had 3 Kamado Joes sitting in my backyard. I was a kamado NUT! Then it happened... I discovered the pellet grill. Last February, right around this same time, I sold the last of my 3 kamados. Since then, I’ve been cooking almost exclusively on a MAK 2 Star. I still use my Weber kettle from time to time for some of my high temp grilling/searing. Comparing my MAK to a ceramic kamado... one imparts a super clean/pleasant smoke profile, and the other a stagnant dirty smoke profile.  As previously mentioned, when you smolder wood chunks you will produce a dirtier smoke. And then on a kamado you add, IMO, a second problem. The kamado is so incredibly efficient, and the fire is so tiny due to the efficiency, that you literally have a tiny fire keeping your kamado at low n slow temps with very little airflow moving through the cooking chamber. What does that mean for your meat? It will be sitting in slow moving stagnant smoke for hours on end while you cook it. Bottom line ... I couldn’t believe how pleasant the smoke profile was when I switched to pellet cooking.

Now if this here doesn't steer you to a pellet grill, I do not know what will.  Great testimonial.  :) 
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline MarkInMd

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
Thanks so much guys. You are definitely pushing me towards the pellet cliff!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
I did a review on my Blaz'n Grillworks Grid Iron here: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=7160.0  I purchased mine in September 2013 before they had the new controller. I did buy the retro controller and I must say I don't regret the purchase of this grill. I did add a few things, that weren't required, such as a downdraft hood and I raised my chimney stack. I blew up my controller a few months ago due to not keep it covered and Hurricane Irma. I live in the south where the humidity is a killer.  Instead of buying another retro controller I opted for the Savannah Stoker IV. This smoker is a tank and I don't use the smoke tube unless I am cold smoking. I wish the 2nd shelf was a full shelf instead of a half one, but I will eventually buy the Pro Shelf unit for it and that should take care of the my needs. Also in my review they do not make the tailgater anymore.

Good luck on finding your new grill.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 01:44:08 PM »
Take a serious look at MAK grills, if you want the best quality.  Particularly look at the MAK 1 Star as it will do exactly what you are wanting to do and will let you add the FlameZone for grilling later as budget allows. 

Here's a review of the latest MAK 1 Star: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20208.0

And here's a review specifically of the FlameZone: http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=20313.0
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
Something that is often overlooked: What do a company's peers say about them?

Look at the design awards from the industry itself. That tells a lot about the strength of a company.

https://www.makgrills.com/awards/

The list of accessories for a MAK are quite extensive. And - with the 2 Star - there is an "up-grade path" that, while not advertised, has allowed me to keep my MAKs current with the newest features available such as Flash Fire Ignition, WiFi Pellet Boss, various configurations of the Drip Pan ( of which the Flame Zone is one I think...)  Different grate configurations, shelf configurations, cabinet style door kit to enclose the stand- and so on.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »
If you have access to real wood and you don't mind feeding a smoker I'd suggest getting a KBQ. It acts like an oven as far as temp control, so that's a plus. It's not like a kamado though, if you want to do an overnighter with it, you're going to have to sleep outside :)

I have grills/smokers of many varieties and have experience with different cookers and I absolutely LOVE the KBQ! It has produced the best food (and it's not even close) that I have ever made OR even eaten elsewhere (except for Franklin BBQ brisket, he's the king still).

If you're looking for more than a smoker, I do suggest what the guys above have said. Pellet grills are wonderful. Where my opinion differs is that I don't think you need to spend thousands of dollars on a pellet grill. Try a Pit Boss or Traeger, learn the ropes and then you can always upgrade to a nicer, full featured setup like the Mak or Memphis. Those WILL last you a lifetime for sure, both VERY well built (that's why they're so proud of them $$$$) :P

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!