Author Topic: Well, it's about time....just call me Smoke "2Star" saurus!!  (Read 5378 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Re: Well, it's about time....just call me Smoke "2Star" saurus!!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 10:59:51 AM »
Congrats on the addition.  Looking forward to the review and cooks.
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »
Congratulations.  You will not be disappointed.  I've used my 2 Star for ribs, steaks, pulled pork, mac and cheese, baked beans, chicken wings, pulled beef, turkey, bacon, bread, pizza, cheese cake...the list goes on and on.  It does it all.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline rwalters

Well, it's about time....just call me Smoke "2Star" saurus!!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »
Congratulations.  You will not be disappointed.  I've used my 2 Star for ribs, steaks, pulled pork, mac and cheese, baked beans, chicken wings, pulled beef, turkey, bacon, bread, pizza, cheese cake...the list goes on and on.  It does it all.
You wouldn’t happen to have the MAK sear grate, would you? I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing both standard grates with the sear grates... and using them for all of my grilling.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
Very happy for you and Wendy on your new purchase, and I am looking forward to your many good cooks on his new cooker :thumbup:
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
Congrats on the new Mak! your gonna love it, can't wait for your review.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline KJRsmoker

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »
You wouldn’t happen to have the MAK sear grate, would you? I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing both standard grates with the sear grates... and using them for all of my grilling.

I do have the sear grate but I just use my gas grill with Grill Grates when I want to sear.  I reverse seared ribeyes on the MAK and used the sear grate but it took too long for it to get to temp.  Next time I reverse seared steaks, I had the gas grill on so I seared immediately when they came up to temp.  I've only used the sear grate once...it sits in the box in my garage.
2016 MAK 2 Star 2817 ~ Remote Boss
Blackstone Griddle 28"
Gas Grill

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »
Welcome to the MAK Grills family Smokeasaurus!!  As a fellow former Traeger owner, I can with 100% confidence confer that the UPGRADE to a MAK is money well spent.  The variety of cooking styles you can accomplish on a 2 Star is amazing. Once you start using the Cold Smoke/Warmer Box, you'll find all kinds of new items from the kitchen to cold smoke and enjoy. 
Try cold smoking salt, sugar, black pepper for rubs. And doing cold smoked cheese and nuts is a breeze.

Looking forward to your reviews!
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline rwalters

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »

I do have the sear grate but I just use my gas grill with Grill Grates when I want to sear.  I reverse seared ribeyes on the MAK and used the sear grate but it took too long for it to get to temp.  Next time I reverse seared steaks, I had the gas grill on so I seared immediately when they came up to temp.  I've only used the sear grate once...it sits in the box in my garage.
Yeah, I probably wouldn’t be using the sear grates for reverse searing to often, if ever... I am more interested in what they bring to simple everyday grilling (steak, burgers, chicken, sausage, etc).
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »

Rob, the MAK searing grates are pretty awesome for grilling. I did a review using the MAK searing grates here:  2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline FinsnFeathers

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »
Congrats! You beat me to it.

I have been doing research for some time and convinced the CFO this would be the last grill we would need to buy.

Plan on heading to the factory on March 23rd to meet Bruce, see the shop and purchase our MADE IN AMERICA grill.

I look forward to following your journey and review!
MAK 2 Star General #3579

Offline rwalters

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »

Rob, the MAK searing grates are pretty awesome for grilling. I did a review using the MAK searing grates here:  2017 MAK FlameZone, Searing Grate & Griddle - Detailed Review!
Thanks, Cliff! :)

Man, now to decide if I want to swallow the $300 pill and replace the entire cooking surface. I am not interested in only doing half (way to big a family).

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »

Man, now to decide if I want to swallow the $300 pill and replace the entire cooking surface. I am not interested in only doing half (way to big a family).

Spend the money....I tried to "cheap the deal" and used GrillGrates to cover the entire surface of the grilling area....BIG MISTAKE....
They held too much heat in the belly of the pit and I have permanently warped the font of a MAK 2 star. Thank goodness I figured out what was going on, and changed that real quick! I actually destroyed a Weber gas grill by turning on Hi - and getting it too hot  - causing the front of the grill to bow out such that the lid would not close on it. SCARY......
The MAK Searing Grates are designed for the MAK and proper airflow, so - they are far cheaper than what little I saved trying the GrillGrates. Nothing wrong with GrillGrates - as long as you understand the impact of limiting that heat that normally escapes thru the grate design .
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 04:45:01 PM »

Spend the money....I tried to "cheap the deal" and used GrillGrates to cover the entire surface of the grilling area....BIG MISTAKE....
They held too much heat in the belly of the pit and I have permanently warped the font of a MAK 2 star. Thank goodness I figured out what was going on, and changed that real quick! I actually destroyed a Weber gas grill by turning on Hi - and getting it too hot  - causing the front of the grill to bow out such that the lid would not close on it. SCARY......
The MAK Searing Grates are designed for the MAK and proper airflow, so - they are far cheaper than what little I saved trying the GrillGrates. Nothing wrong with GrillGrates - as long as you understand the impact of limiting that heat that normally escapes thru the grate design .
Yes, you and I had a dialogue some time ago re: GrillGrates. I have a set that’ll fit 98% of my MAK’s cooking surface. Just not willing to take the gamble. I’ve seen a few pics of food that have been cooked on MAK’s searing grate(s), and it definitely ups the wow factor.  I am a strong believer that we eat first with our eyes.

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »
Congrats! You beat me to it.

I have been doing research for some time and convinced the CFO this would be the last grill we would need to buy.

Plan on heading to the factory on March 23rd to meet Bruce, see the shop and purchase our MADE IN AMERICA grill.

I look forward to following your journey and review!
I did this. Just tremendous people
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 09:43:40 PM »
Will this be your primary grill as well as smoker? Or do you have something else that you prefer grilling on? As much as I love my Weber kettle setup w/ a Slow n Sear and GrillGrates, I think I love grilling on my MAK even more. The only thing the MAK cannot do is the screaming hot sears, which for me is a rare need... but as a ‘grill’ it is fantastic!

This will be our primary cooking option from here on out. Frankly, I have burned so much charcoal for the last 30 years, I am just tired of the flavor profile.

I do have a large charcoal grill for when the bubbas come over and I still have my offset for when I am in the mood and have the time to feed sticks.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32