Author Topic: Pepper stout beef on PBC ?  (Read 11348 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Pepper stout beef on PBC ?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
I didn't use any beef stock, I used a bottle of Guiness. It needs to be covered tightly for the frist couple of hours in the oven, then when it's tender enough to pull you pull it and then put it back in uncovered until the remaining liquid reduces some. This is where you risk burning it so watch it carefully. Mine reduced really fast.
Next time I will use a lighter flavored beer and call it pepper brew instead lol.

My favorite in this dish is Modelo Negro. Looks dark - but is not a stout, not even a porter. Just a rich tasting brew - that is my favorite. Not hoppy at all.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »
paul hart and las vegas cajun both of those cooks look amazing!!!

reading the link that pmillen put up and one of the individuals hung the roast while you put it on the grate las vegas cajun. is there a difference between hanging and putting on the grate?  also, i saw that ya'll used beef stock - how much stock did you put in?  last question, did you cover it with foil in oven or leave it uncovered?  thanks for the answers and 2 fantastic looking dishes!!!

jason

I don't think it matters if it is cooked on the grate or hung, either method will get you the results we are looking for and that was to get the IT to 165F.  I didn't use a beef stock either, I followed this recipe <a href="http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html">Pepper Stout Beef</a> from The Wolfe Pit.  I used a bottle of Guinness Extra Stout and Worcetshire Sauce for the liquid.  The only alteration I did to the recipe was I used four different bell peppers, green, red, orange, and yellow, as you can see in the my pictures.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
I didn't use a beef stock either, I followed this recipe <a href="http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html">Pepper Stout Beef</a> from The Wolfe Pit.  I used a bottle of Guinness Extra Stout and Worcetshire Sauce for the liquid.  The only alteration I did to the recipe was I used four different bell peppers, green, red, orange, and yellow, as you can see in the my pictures.

Hmmmmm getting an idea.....  ;)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline viscera912

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
i don't know where I got beef stock from......case of the monday's.  thanks for the info though!! 

btw, i was just thinking, if it was on the grate for that long, did ya'll flip it during the cook?

jason

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 12:02:24 AM »
No, no flipping, it cooks very evenly, it's a unique cooker. I used a few pieces of pecan wood in there at the beginning. I use silicon gloves to pick everything up with.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 12:58:25 AM »
i don't know where I got beef stock from......case of the monday's.  thanks for the info though!! 

btw, i was just thinking, if it was on the grate for that long, did ya'll flip it during the cook?

jason

No flipping was needed, once the lid was in place I didn't remove it until the IT reached 165F.  I used a wireless remote thermometer, ran the leads through the openings provided for the rebar, to monitor the meat temps.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »
My humble attempt. I do not have some money shots but... Was only able to find a 2.2 pound roast but wanted to try this cause it sounds great. Coated the roast with pepper and salt and put in fridge for 4 hours.

Started PBC and left lid off while coals were starting. Must have been about 400 in there, hotter than I wanted. Put in roast. After about an hour it was 165 internal. The most amazing thing was it was a great shade of dark red with a nice little crust on it. Juices pooling on top. Since I was between cooking and painting my living room, I did not get a picture.

While that was going I prepped 2 1/2 peppers, 1 1/2 onions. 1 jalapeno in pan. Added 1/4 cup worcestershire and a bottle of Guinness. Put the cooked roast on top, covered pan with foil, put pan in PBC at about 350.

IN order to ensure I had a good batch of Guinness, I had to have one before I committed the roast to the pan.

Result (this was after I removed enough for 2 sandwiches) is a really nice, tender, no real fat batch of beef and the sauce is amazing. I served both on pieces of Italian bread with some provolone melted on sandwich in broiler.  No money shot of sandwiches with melted cheese... I had horseradish mayo on mine, the wife just spooned more juice. She does NOT drink any kind of beer or ale, and is super fussy about fatty meat. She loved it. I will make this again.

Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 09:16:26 PM »
Ive seen some of these roasts being done, this way and others. Do roasts turn out anything like brisket or are they totally different? Would they be comparable to the point?
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 10:09:46 PM »
Well the PBC is not really a smoker so there is no real smoke flavor the way I did it.  The final result is a consistency more like pulled pork - the beef shreds. With brisket it more falls apart. The flavor, in my case, was a bit like beef stew but tons richer in flavor. It sort of soaks up the Guinness. Very nice.
Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 11:53:16 PM »
Sounds delicious!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 12:01:50 AM »
My humble attempt. I do not have some money shots but... Was only able to find a 2.2 pound roast but wanted to try this cause it sounds great. Coated the roast with pepper and salt and put in fridge for 4 hours.

Started PBC and left lid off while coals were starting. Must have been about 400 in there, hotter than I wanted. Put in roast. After about an hour it was 165 internal. The most amazing thing was it was a great shade of dark red with a nice little crust on it. Juices pooling on top. Since I was between cooking and painting my living room, I did not get a picture.

While that was going I prepped 2 1/2 peppers, 1 1/2 onions. 1 jalapeno in pan. Added 1/4 cup worcestershire and a bottle of Guinness. Put the cooked roast on top, covered pan with foil, put pan in PBC at about 350.

IN order to ensure I had a good batch of Guinness, I had to have one before I committed the roast to the pan.

Result (this was after I removed enough for 2 sandwiches) is a really nice, tender, no real fat batch of beef and the sauce is amazing. I served both on pieces of Italian bread with some provolone melted on sandwich in broiler.  No money shot of sandwiches with melted cheese... I had horseradish mayo on mine, the wife just spooned more juice. She does NOT drink any kind of beer or ale, and is super fussy about fatty meat. She loved it. I will make this again.

Mine had that same color going, almost looked Raw underneath a burned crust, but awesome. I liken it more to a roast than a brisket. 
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 12:28:00 AM »
Another great looking Pepper Stout Beef in the PBC.  Noah and Amber should make a video on this one, if they haven't already. ;)
----------------------

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments. This is a great recipe.
Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments. This is a great recipe.

Yes it is, I'm in the middle of making another batch right now, toning down the pepper and jalapeƱo, the first batch was to my liking, really spicy, I'm making a milder batch for those that can't handle the heat.
----------------------

PapaBob

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 06:41:20 AM »
I just did a chuck roast on the PBC over the weekend.  2 hours on the grate till it hit a perfect 165.  Took it off and put it on a bed of green and red peppers and onions.  Instead of using stout I used beef broth and added a package of Good Seasons dry salad dressing on top of the beef. Covered and in the 350 over for about 3 hours.  Pulled perfectly and tasted awesome.  Sorry no pictures cause it got eaten so fast but trust me it looked just like the one in the first set of photos.  That PBC is a miracle!