Author Topic: Newbie question -- Lid of pit barrel how snug should the fit be?  (Read 4580 times)

Offline cgseymour

Newbie question -- Lid of pit barrel how snug should the fit be?
« Reply #-1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »
Hello All,
Have been re-watching some of the videos and one thing I did notice yesterday was that my lid has a very snug fit.
If I place it on the barrel, it does not seat all the way.  I can push down around the rim, but then when I go to take it off, there is a noticeable amount of effort required to remove it.

Is this normal? or should I just place the lid on the barrel?

Just curious.

Thank you.

Chris
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
I just place my lid on the barrel and let it rest in place without pushing down on it.  When I remove the lid it lifts right off without having to do any extra effort.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
Re: Newbie question -- Lid of pit barrel how snug should the fit be?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »
I also have to press mine down for a "snug" fit. However, the fit gets so tight that when I do that and I go to take the lid off, I sometimes lift the entire PBC unit! I'm hoping that with time, it will "wear-in" and become a tad bit easier (though I'm not complaining about that air-tight seal!). I think next time I'll line that upper edge with some olive oil and see if it acts as a good enough lubricant to just be able to pull off easily...
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »
I just place my lid on the barrel and let it rest in place without pushing down on it.  When I remove the lid it lifts right off without having to do any extra effort.

HMMMMM same for me
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:48:48 PM »

HMMMMM same for me

X2
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
I have always used some push to close or open my lid from day one.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline cgseymour

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 02:24:04 PM »
Hello 1Bigg_ER,
When you go to open the lid, does it come right off or does it feel like you might pick up the barrel?

I am wondering if too tight a fit could restrict expected air flow.

Something to ponder.

Thank you
PBC
CharBroil Big Easy
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Hello 1Bigg_ER,
When you go to open the lid, does it come right off or does it feel like you might pick up the barrel?

Something to ponder.

Thank you

Now this has me wondering if this might be related to my problems with getting a consistent temperature on my PBC. No more pushing down the lid for me I guess!
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »
Hello 1Bigg_ER,

Something to ponder.

Thank you

Yes it does feel like I'll pick up the whole barrel.
Ideally the lid SHOULD fit snugly and airflow should be through the rebar vents and not the lid. That's why the snug fit never bothers me.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Phillipslink

• Clovis, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 11:30:09 PM »
Mine was so tight it also lifted the barrel.  I talked to Noah about it.  He indicated after using it for awhile I could expect the grease and soot to make it easier to remove.  I smeared some cooking oil around the rim and it was working OK after the second cook.  I snug it down to cook and it lifts right off.
NKAWTG

PBC/Traeger Little Tex/Jenn-Air 40/Weber 26 Kettle/Olympian RV5500 -Motorhome mounted/Fuego Element

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
Yeah sometimes I have to fight it. I noticed that last night when I was running it really hot, it must have expanded a little because I started to think it was welded on there lol. When it's on, it's on good. I like that overall though. Most times you don't want draft from the lid pushing your temps up.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 03:04:27 PM »
Lid needs to fit snug for proper air control. A loose lid will create very high temps.

When I lift my lid I tilt it slightly as I lift to make it easier to lift off.

As it gets hotter the metal expands. If the lid is cooler and the barrel is hotter the fit will be very tight due to expansion and contraction of the metal.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Chief Mac

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »
Hello All,
Have been re-watching some of the videos and one thing I did notice yesterday was that my lid has a very snug fit.
If I place it on the barrel, it does not seat all the way.  I can push down around the rim, but then when I go to take it off, there is a noticeable amount of effort required to remove it.

Is this normal? or should I just place the lid on the barrel?

Just curious.

Thank you.
cg
I had and still have a time getting my cover off. I called Noah when I received the my cooker because I could not get the top to budge. He said that it will be tight because of the coating inside and after a couple of cooks when the grease forms around the barrel and top,  that lubrication should make the top easy to remove. Noah said to just use the back end of the hook tool to pop it open, or a piece of wood and a mallet. I used a 3/4 "wood dowel and a mallet to get it off. It was still tough last weekend when I did my first cook with it. This week I'm going to rub on a little canola or vegy oil along the barrel top edge and see if it helps it release. 
CM

Chris
Weber Genesis E-320
Charbroil - CB600X Gas Smoker
Landmann Smoky Mountain Electric Smoker
PBC
14" Kingsford Charcoal Take Anywhere Grill
A Maz N Tube Smoker 6" & 12"
GrillGrates
Anova--Sous Vide Device