Author Topic: Pizza on the PBC, any tips before I try it out?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline viscera912

Pizza on the PBC, any tips before I try it out?
« Reply #-1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:06:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

We are planning on doing a couple pizza's in the PBC.  I tried a search inquiry on this forum for PBC and pizza but didn't really come up with anything.  I've been reading on the pizza oven section of the forum and there are some really good looking pizza's, but most of them are cooked on the Uuni.  So I am wondering if any of ya'll have made a pizza in the PBC, how did it come, any particular tips or things for me to consider before trying them out this evening.  Thanks in advance

Jason

ps
I did watch the vid on pbc website already :)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Pizza on the PBC, any tips before I try it out?
« on: March 04, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »
The version on the video works very well. Just not my favorite way to make a pizza (it was very good!) I've made them on my Weber as well - same thing - not the wood taste I was looking for. I just prefer a wood fire on my pizza vs. charcoal - just a taste thing. I know there are pizza places famous for their coal fired ovens - just not me. Love my PBC for many things, just prefer my Uuni for pizza.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »
I like a pizza cooked at high temps. Might be difficult to make a proper pizza in the PBC.

Maybe a pizza stone with the lid cracked?

Give it a try and see. Post your results.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »
Tried it, didn't like it.
Doesn't get and stay hot enough to bake a proper pizza. I like Pizza done at >550 degrees
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
A lot of your satisfaction with the outcome - may be due to your preference in crust thickness, and texture. I tend to agree with the previous commenters....But, I like my pizza as thin a crust as it may be possible to make - and not over-loaded with ingredients.  Fired in a wood oven at approx. 800-950F it only takes 3-4 minutes to cook, and the texture of the crust is ( for me) the perfect crisp outer edge- and glutinous tug for the  rest of it... A "balance"  that may or may not be what you prefer.

When I have tried to cook a pizza at lower temps - it just never cooks the crust to what I have tuned my desires for...

I love my PBC - and just because I don't prefer to use it for pizza does not mean that you should not try it. There is no right or wrong way....just the way that YOU like.... ;)

Let us know what you did - and what you think about the results.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline viscera912

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
thanks for the opinions! it seems the underlying philosophy when making a pizza is a hot temp. If I'm not mistaken lump coal burns hotter than regular charcoal?  If so, then I might use royal oak lump for tonight's cook.  Either way, if I use KB tonight, I'll try lump next time and see if that has any different results. thanks again yall!!

Jason

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:58:52 PM »
I like a pizza cooked at high temps. Might be difficult to make a proper pizza in the PBC.

Maybe a pizza stone with the lid cracked?

Give it a try and see. Post your results.

What muebe said and leave the rebar out too.  I haven't done a pizza in my PBC either so I'm just guessing also, but it seems that anything you can do to elevate the temp inside the barrel the better.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
What Ive found is low temp pizza's require pre cooking the dough for 10-15 minutes,get that dough puffing up before you add ingredients and you stand half a chance of not having a floppy or saggy dough.Have to compensate for not being 800F degree's the pizza makers use.This pizza even had a slight crunch to it,SUPERB!!

BTW,I made that with the no knead dough in oven at 450F,that dough makes a GREAT pizza crust.

This is the ubiquitous online recipe

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

Whisk dry ingredients in a dish,then add water.Mix just until flour is all moist and thats it!

Let sit 12-18 hours on counter,covered but able to breathe.After that just make whatever you want from it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 11:19:01 AM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Head over to the PBC site, they have a pizza video that will get you off on the right foot............

or better yet...here it is:  http://pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/pizza
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline viscera912

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 07:04:12 PM »
spuds way to resurrect an old thread with a pizza looks pretty good to me!!!