Author Topic: Smoke  (Read 3371 times)

Offline tn_5568

Smoke
« Reply #-1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:33:18 PM »
I haven't tried any wood chips yet. Thought pbc tastes great with just charcoal but thought I may experiment with some. I have a pellet grill as well and wondering if I could throw a small handful of pellets on lit coals for a different flavor smoke. Any ideas?

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Smoke
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:35:51 PM »
If you wish to try wood on a charcoal bed, a chunk of solid wood would be easiest. But, you could put a handful of pellets in some foil, and seal it up. Then poke ONE very small hole in the foils pouch, and put iron the 'coal bed, preferably on a lower temp location.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:38:05 PM »
Ive put a couple of handful of chips in a few times. I haven't really notice any difference or a stronger smoke taste. I would like to be able to get more of a smoke taste, especially in a brisket.
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline tn_5568

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:39:18 PM »
i just thought about that. I guess throwing them on the coals would make them burn instantly with little time to smoke.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:14:31 PM »
Tee is right about the foil smoke pouch. Tenthunter showed me some pics of the "smoke bombs" he has made and they smoke good and long.....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 10:24:11 PM »
Tee is spot on. Anything directly on the coals unless it is a large chunk will combust much to quickly.

Some pellets in a ball of foil with one pin hole will work.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
Just my 2 cents worth,  but if you have one of those can openers that cuts the lid from the side and it can be placed back on the can snug then you have a perfect smoker for hunks of wood.

I do this when using my Double Chef and charcoal.  Just take the can after you cut the top off punch a few holes in the top add wood chunks and snap the lid back on place in coal bed and you have a smoker box. 

Wont last but a few cooks but for free and if you use canned veggies why not ?  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline viscera912

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:32:22 PM »
Tee is right about the foil smoke pouch. Tenthunter showed me some pics of the "smoke bombs" he has made and they smoke good and long.....

is there a thread or pic of tent's bomb?  I would love to see it!

Also, I've used the wood chips and chunk in the PBC and its almost a waste to use chips because they burn so easily.  I have a couple bags of different wood chips that I am trying to finish and then just stick with chunk.

Offline brentwoodkris

• This koala never sleeps
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »

is there a thread or pic of tent's bomb?  I would love to see it!

Also, I've used the wood chips and chunk in the PBC and its almost a waste to use chips because they burn so easily.  I have a couple bags of different wood chips that I am trying to finish and then just stick with chunk.

I'm on board with this too. I have a "smoker box" that I bought years ago, but it's like a 3"x8" stainless steel box that would take up too much real estate on the coal bed. I'm interested in this "smoke bomb" haha.
Brinkmann Deluxe Professional Charcoal Grill
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:32 PM »
You could always soak your wood first...... ducking for cover now.

Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 12:02:06 AM »
You could always soak your wood first...... ducking for cover now.

You've always been gutsy, Ken!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 12:07:31 AM »
If you wish to try wood on a charcoal bed, a chunk of solid wood would be easiest. But, you could put a handful of pellets in some foil, and seal it up. Then poke ONE very small hole in the foils pouch, and put iron the 'coal bed, preferably on a lower temp location.

Yep, with emphasis on one tiny hole (trust me - that's what works best), and lay near the outer edge of the charcoal basket.  And it doesn't take
a whole lot of pellets either, because they're very dense.  Just 1/3 to 1/2 cup is plenty.

I have used this technique for over 12 years.  The instructions are on the back on every 1 lb bag of BBQer's Delight Pellets.

The same idea works for wood chips too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:15:49 AM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 02:16:42 AM »
This works great and is designed for pellets. Also good for cold smoking cheeses and such. Let it smoke your still cold ribs or whatever for about 20-30 min in the grill while your PBC is being lit and getting up to temp and that might be all you need.
http://www.amazenproducts.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37493

I use chunks, I throw in a chunk on top of a hot spot and then hang or grate the food. It takes on snoke better if its still cold. Even better if partially frozen still. Chicken will take on too much so be careful. A butt is resistive to smoke in the PBC I've found so I like two chunks at a time for about the first hour. If you want more, run a little smoke past it after you pull it. I usually get it smoking real hard after I pull the butt and put the baked beans in there while its resting. A large can of regular old baked beans with a few jiggers of good bbq sauce and some real live smoke is almost like homemade.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch