Author Topic: First time brisket recommendations please  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Paul Hart

First time brisket recommendations please
« Reply #-1 on: March 18, 2015, 02:58:05 AM »
I'm going to try a brisket this week or weekend. Any pointers?  What's the difference between the flat and the rest of it? What's more desirable? How are you guys doing them? How long are they taking and to what temp? Wrapping? I'm all about the bark so I'll try to avoid wrapping if I can. I lose patience around 5 hours though. Lol
I'm going to go look up the amazing ribs method right now and see what they do.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: First time brisket recommendations please
« on: March 18, 2015, 09:55:58 AM »
A flat is separated from the point. A full packer is the flat and point still together. There is a layer of fat that runs between the flat and point. I have found that a full packer yields better results than just a flat alone. You will need to separate the flat from the point before you carve when they are finished. The grains run in different directions. And the point makes for some great burnt ends. I like to separate them midway through the cook. The point does not require the higher finishing temp of the flat. And that way you can prep the burnt ends while the flat finishes.

If you can maintain around a 300F temp then they will finish pretty quickly. 5 hours is really pushing it with a large packer but easy to obtain with a smaller flat.

Foiling the second half of the cook will speed up the cooking process but you will lose some bark. It will soften up due to the steaming effect.

I like to take brisket to an internal temp of 200F to 205F but there are varying opinions. Quality of brisket can be a factor. Higher quality cut with more fat does not need to be taken to that temp. The probe test on the flat is a good guide. When you insert the probe and it feels like it is going into warm butter it is done.

A slather of mustard or molasses along with your favorite rub is a great way to create some excellent bark. Don't worry you will not taste the mustard when it is finished.

I suggest telling us what you plan on cooking it in so that everyone can better advise you. I assume it is the PBC correct?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:06:58 AM »
With the PBC, wrapping is probably a must. If you want to maintain some bark, find some butcher paper. Get it to about 175, wrap in butcher paper then HD foil until 200-205. Then start doing the probe test. Briskets can hit 200 and still be a little tough. A probe should penetrate like  hot knife through butter.

When it's ready wrap it in a bunch of kitchen towels and place in a cooler for a few hours (pour some hot water in the cooler first then pout it out).

At 225-240, it should take about 12 hours. At regular PBC temps, about 10 hours. That time in the cooler or cambro is crucial, well at least for me it is.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »
All briskets cook different and there is no golden rule. I like to wrap em in foil around the 150 internal temp mark. They have taken on enough smoke. You can move the briskie to the oven if you want at this point. Around 185 internal start to check the meat. Use a toothpick. If it slides in and out clean and easy you are done.

Wrap the foiled brisket up in a couple of towels and let it set. You can go an hour at least, but I like to go 2-3 hours. The juices will re-distribute back into the muscle and it will become as tender as your Mamas Kiss  :-* :-*

I have probs from time to time with ribs and other meats, but I can honestly say I have not done a bad brisket  8)

Following Noah's video on briskets and following it will give you good results.

I am doing a brisket tomorrow in my stick burner, maybe you can follow it for a tip or two.......................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:12:42 AM »
Another thing I like to do is wet age my briskets. I usually can only afford select grade. If the brisket is in cryovac packaging, toss it in your fridge and forget about it for 2-3  weeks. You end up getting a beefier tasting and tender brisket.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
All briskets cook different and there is no golden rule.

Ain't that the truth!   Ask ten different guys how to cook a brisket, you will get ten different answers, and ALL ten may be right!

The method I like is very similar to what Smoke described, except for the resting part.   When tender enough for slicing, I like to separate the point and flat,

Flat: re-apply more rub to the flat and put it back on the grill at a high temp to bark back up for about 15 - 20 minutes. Then rest for a good 45 minutes or so.

Point: I first decide if I'm making burnt ends or pulled beef.

If making Burnt ends: Cut the point into about 1" or so cubes, re-apply rub to the cubes, put them in a foil pan and back on the grill (with the flat) at a high temp to bark up.  After they bark up I will add a bit of BBQ sauce to the cubes, toss to coat and \return the foil pan to the pit to let them finish and caramelize.

If making Pulled Beef: I will re-apply some rub to the point, and put it back in th epit at a high temp (with the flat) to bark back up for 15 - 20 minutes, then back into foil wrapped tightly to finish tenderizing and rendering more fat while the flat rests.
Then, while the flat rest.

Sometimes I will cut the point in half and do half burnt ends and half pulled beef - BOTH are excellent!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:53:27 PM »
Thanks guys. Still debating.  I Started reading on amazing ribs last night and he seems to prefer the point because it has more fat and will be juicier/more tender. He said the flat makes for a more uniform cut. If you could get and use either, which would it be? Think I can do 4 or 5 pounds on a basket without wrapping?
Yes Muebe, the PBC. I usually try to keep PBC specific questions in this forum.
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
If you could get and use either, which would it be?

What we prefer really doesn't matter as much as what do YOU like and want?  Do you prefer leaner or fattier?  Do you prefer sliced or more of a pulled texture?

The flat is leaner, and it's muscle structure makes it better for slicing than the point.

The Point end is fattier.  While it can be sliced too, it's much better to cook longer (like a pork shoulder) to render more of the fat, for pulled beef or for cutting into cubes and making burnt ends.

My advice is cook a whole packer at least once, so you can experience both parts and then see which end you and your family prefers.

One more thought:  Just my opinion, but if you think you want a brisket point only, then buying a point seems kind of pointless (pun fully intended  ;D).

With brisket prices the way they are I'd opt to get a lesser expensive chuck roast instead.  The Chuck is just above the brisket point and has similar fat and tenderness, and so they cook pretty much the same.

Old Dave made burnt ends at the Fall Gathering this past year using Chuck roast, not brisket point, and they were glorious!

Hope this makes sense!

Cliff
<><
Member #68

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
I've done a few chucks now. You think they're similar in flavor? Gf really liked the first one I did but the rest have gone in pepper stout. The first one I just did it up with PBC game rub and it had a pretty great flavor. I seem to rem taking it to 203 and faux cambro for the trip to her house. 
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »
How would I go about making burnt ends with a Chuck? The burnt ends thing I've never caught on to.  Cook it done and then cut it up, re-rub the pieces and keep cooking?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 02:58:07 PM »
How would I go about making burnt ends with a Chuck? The burnt ends thing I've never caught on to.  Cook it done and then cut it up, re-rub the pieces and keep cooking?

Yep, no different than burnt ends from a brisket point.

This is how I do them: Cook the point (or chuck) until tender but not falling apart, cut into cubes, re-apply some rub, throw into a foil pan and back on a hot grill  to get more tender and render more fat.   When they are basically done, toss in a little BBQ sauce and let them caramelize up a bit. Serve with toothpicks.

They are like beef candy - VERY addicting!
<><
Member #68

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 03:02:25 PM »
I honestly do brisket for the fun of it. Coz if one can cook a brisket, one can probably BBQ anything.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 03:15:28 PM »
My brisket cook tomorrow will be my first since Easter of 2013.  A pulled chuck roast can make a feller forget all about briskets......especially at what they cost these days....... :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 02:18:40 AM »
Thanks guys. Still debating.  I Started reading on amazing ribs last night and he seems to prefer the point because it has more fat and will be juicier/more tender. He said the flat makes for a more uniform cut. If you could get and use either, which would it be? Think I can do 4 or 5 pounds on a basket without wrapping?
Yes Muebe, the PBC. I usually try to keep PBC specific questions in this forum.

I have cooked more points that whole packers. I can't stand the flat.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Hub

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 08:37:58 AM »
Basic Brisket  . . .

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=617.0

You'll need to allow less time since the PBC will be a little hotter and faster than I contemplated in the article.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN