Author Topic: Chicken Temp Question  (Read 2117 times)

Offline sb2_7

• Smok'em if you gott'em
Chicken Temp Question
« Reply #-1 on: March 24, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »
I cooked a chicken on the PBC tonight. Re used a little less than half a basket of KB from previous cook and filled the rest of the basket with new KB. Temp started at over 400 and then seemed to settle at 320 -310. I had one rebar out. Total cook time was about 1.5 hrs.

I had a question about chicken cooking temperatures. I cooked this bird until it was 160 -170 in thigh and breast. When i began cutting the chicken i noticed that some of the juice was pink and i even saw a couple of RED drops. While cutting the chicken it all seemed cooked to me.

I went ahead and ate it so we will see if ill be around to cook another one later!!!! ??? ??? :)

I took a pic of the pink juice. Is that showing that the chicken was under cooked or is this just something that happens even when you cook the chicken to the recommended temp?

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
I'm in love with food

PBC
Masterbuilt 40" Electric Smoker
Weber Kettle
Weber Q
Master Forged 3 burner

Offline Pappymn

Chicken Temp Question
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »
If you trust your measurement device,  then no worries. All young birds today have under-devoleped bones that show pink.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken Temp Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:29:54 PM »
Pappy is spot on. I usually do my chicken 2 hours to play it safe. Your temps are fine. Maybe an extra thermometer for a warm and fuzzy??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:44:21 AM »
Assuming your thermometer is working properly, you're fine.  Chicken does some funny stuff when you smoke it.  It will get pink around the bones from the chemical reaction with the smoke and even some spices.  However, your cook time seems a little short given part of the fire was recycled.  Test your thermometer just in case.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:23:48 PM »
DISCLAIMER: Do not try this at home.

You'll be just fine. I cook mine to 150 then take it out. By the time it's rested, residual heat gets it to 155 - 160.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 01:08:18 PM »
Someone (besides me) needs to tell my wife about "pink" chicken.   Have heard this for years and have a difficult time convincing her!    Show her temps all the time, but she still has reservations about eating it, SO, I cook it to a higher temp--usually at least 170 before I take it off.   And she's the white meat eater.  Doesn't do any good to tell her how dry it's going to be!    I get the thighs and legs, so it's OK at those temps. 

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 07:25:48 AM »
Someone (besides me) needs to tell my wife about "pink" chicken.   Have heard this for years and have a difficult time convincing her!    Show her temps all the time, but she still has reservations about eating it, SO, I cook it to a higher temp--usually at least 170 before I take it off.   And she's the white meat eater.  Doesn't do any good to tell her how dry it's going to be!    I get the thighs and legs, so it's OK at those temps.

Here's a good, quick write-up from a trusted source:  http://www.extension.org/pages/65580/what-color-should-properly-cooked-chicken-be#.VRaPBWd0zIU

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »
Another common reason for pink around the bones is due to the commercial chicken breeds being raised these days.  They grow so quickly, and are now processed at such a young age (some as young as 4 - 6 weeks), that their bones are soft and marrow can leech through while they cook, causing a dark pink/red color.

It took my Mom, and sister both a couple years to get used to my smoked turkeys/chickens having pink from the chemical reaction and around the soft bones, when cooked to 165°.

Here's are a couple more articles from the USDA about the chemical reaction Hub mentions, and the soft bones:

The Color of Meat and Poultry - Sections 13 thru 16

Is Pink Turkey Meat Safe
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68