Author Topic: Lumberjack Pellet Change  (Read 737 times)

Offline Pappymn

Lumberjack Pellet Change
« Reply #-1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:16:58 AM »
I know some of us here use these pellets.  Wanted to see if their are any opinions on this change.

Glre Wood Pellets
We are changing the BBQ Pellet to a 5/32" diameter pellet replacing the 1/4" or 8/32" pellet. This new improved BBQ Pellet is hardly noticeable to the human eye however it gives us more fiber or mass in the burn pot and thereby gives more smoke during smoking settings. We are constantly searching for ways to improve our pellets and this is surely a step in the right direction. The smaller diameter pellet also gives us smaller length pellets and is more easily broken eliminating the long pellet risks for some grills. We are phasing in the new pellet into all production runs and will eventually will no longer produce the larger 1/4" pellet. I have attached a picture of the pellets side by side.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:08:35 AM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Lumberjack Pellet Change
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:21:50 AM »

I'd say that people are going to see higher 'smoke' temperatures as well..

That could be good or bad, depending on what you are trying to do.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Lumberjack Pellet Change
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »
My concern would initially be: Did they consult with various pellet grill manufacturers first? The smaller pellets yield a lower total area of void - for air pass thru in the burn pot. For the record, I like Lumberjack pellets, and this is NOT a statement intended in any way to down-play their product size change. Just questioning ot-loud.....
That may...or may not ( again - maybe we can get MAK or others to  comment ) affect the calculated airflow thru the burn pot, which may or may not affect temp settings.....

SO - I am not saying it is a negative. I am saying...consult the grill manufacturer to see if they have tried these - or any info for us.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401