Author Topic: NEW INFO ABOUT LTBBQ....MUST READ  (Read 70011 times)

Offline hikerman

Re: NEW INFO ABOUT LTBBQ....MUST READ
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 10:57:47 PM »
All good points Tim. And everyone else who has commented as well. Every once in a while I loose my head and teeter on the line.....unintentionally I'll have you all know! ::) But I guess every once in awhile we have to clean our room up, no different here. And I for one just upload pics from my phone, I guess i'll have to look into an alternative way. Any tips on the easiest way.  I 'd appreciate any help!   ;D

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:41:11 PM »
All good points Tim. And everyone else who has commented as well. Every once in a while I loose my head and teeter on the line.....unintentionally I'll have you all know! ::) But I guess every once in awhile we have to clean our room up, no different here. And I for one just upload pics from my phone, I guess i'll have to look into an alternative way. Any tips on the easiest way.  I 'd appreciate any help!   ;D

X2
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 11:43:48 PM »
We have several folks here that are far better than am I at the photo up-loading options/issues. We should stimulate the discussion about the various methods to store pics that can work across platforms ...phone/tablet/PC/Mac... I will start a thread requesting some input guys.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 11:49:54 PM »
Thanks Tim!

Offline Tonybel

• We BBQ and Grill every chance we get.
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »
I'm guilty of photo dumping.....

Quick question
Any post I start must have details of the cook or something special I have done to qualify it as good post?

I always assumed that a forum needed activity regardless of what was posted. Of course needed to be bbq and grilling related.
18.5 WSM, 14.5 WSM, 22.5 Black OTG, 22.5 Blue Perfomer, 22.5 Old red head (patent pending), Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Weber Q, Weber Genesis.
Cast Iron disc and a comal for tacos that sit on a stand and use propane burner.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 12:00:47 AM »

The "silent movies" are o.k. if the are posts of things that are simple items that we have a lot of information about already ( like...ribs ;) ;D ) and I think all we could ask is - that if the poster tried something different than the ordinary - tell us what it was, and whether it was better, worse or just unique from the regular methods. It is about courtesy, respect and sharing. That is it. And...that stricly a string of photos is a photo dump ::) :) and I have defended us/negotiated with our hosting service due some that even I had posted. So - it is not a finger pointing at any one person, just timing - and some corrective steerage to help us stay on their good side. ;D[/b]

Message understood.  I just cook the same thing a lot.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 12:10:54 AM »
I'm guilty of photo dumping.....

Quick question
Any post I start must have details of the cook or something special I have done to qualify it as good post?

I always assumed that a forum needed activity regardless of what was posted. Of course needed to be bbq and grilling related.

Good questions Tony!
We are learning that the most impactful and best searched forums -(  even by lurkers ) are those which have the best information accompanying text. That is, when posting about anything that is regional, or has an element of originality - a twist that you have put on a previous common recipe - just add that info to help folks know what they are looking at as different. ( as well as supporting the pictures so I keep the hosting service from thinking we are a competitor of Photobucket ;) :D )  In other words, if you are cooking burgers - but you did something that is a simple twist which yielded a great outcome - just tell us. Share. It ups the value of ANY pictures in the reader's mind - if they can glean knowledge from  something you show AND explain to them, which improves their skill set.
We ALL love food pics. But this may be one instance where the pictures are not worth 1,000 words.  And - in most cases just a few words can make such a big difference in the value of the pictures. Make sense?

And...we have activity. It is not our express goal to be the largest internet forum. But we *DO* want to be the best. The difference is that some forums  is that numbers are only good if we were selling add space, We are not interested in that. But - I do believe solidly that if we all just add a little information to picture posts - the post has more meaning and value. It is the interpretation of "what happened" to make the art-work  in your pictures. The reader now gains confidence in knowing how they can mke something awesome - because you shared a little information - and taught them a new skill, trick or made them aware of a spice, or ingredient.
Simple - but powerful. And each of us can make ALL of us more knowledgable by just taking a little extra effort.
And...it is easy to forget sometimes that their are many folks reading our posts that may not be familiar with our regional foods, or they may not have much experience at all. But YOU have the power to teach and share. Be the hero. It is so easy. ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:06:22 AM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 12:14:57 AM »

The "silent movies" are o.k. if the are posts of things that are simple items that we have a lot of information about already ( like...ribs ;) ;D ) and I think all we could ask is - that if the poster tried something different than the ordinary - tell us what it was, and whether it was better, worse or just unique from the regular methods. It is about courtesy, respect and sharing. That is it. And...that stricly a string of photos is a photo dump ::) :) and I have defended us/negotiated with our hosting service due some that even I had posted. So - it is not a finger pointing at any one person, just timing - and some corrective steerage to help us stay on their good side. ;D[/b]

Message understood.  I just cook the same thing a lot.   8)

No hidden messages here. And no one was picking' on Sparky I promise. You make the finest ribs I have ever seen, and if I am wanting ribs - I would parachute into your backyard first. ;) And that is the truth :D
But - if you tried something new or different - even in one of your"silent movies" - you would tell us up front what you tried - and how it came out. That is the key. When we post, we have an opportunity to teach and share. If everyone does it - we all get better at what we love. We become amore powerful resource. Everybody benefits. :)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 12:18:04 AM »
Folks, DON'T fret over what Tim said about attachments.  Attachments will still be allowed, but there will be some new limitations.

I have been asked to make a detailed post about this, but for now the biggest thing to understand is that starting next month (March 2015), all attachments will be deleted after a period of 180 days (6 months).  This will reduce overhead and keep the forum running better.

If you don't have a photo hosting account, through PhotoBucket, Flickr, Picasa, etc., then now is a good time get one. Any photo hosting service will work, so pick the one that suits YOU best. :)

I truly believe this is one of the best forums going.  You guys make it a great place to hang out!

Cliff

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 12:45:28 PM »
I love a good silent movie and I love a good recipe that I have not heard of. Tony and Sparky can take a Weber Kettle and make those darn things put out some of the most awesome grub I have seen come off a kettle. Just add your techniques and methods that led to that most delicious outcome and we are all set  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
All of this is why this is the ONLY forum I spend my limited amount of time on. Thank you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 02:00:43 PM »
All of this is why this is the ONLY forum I spend my limited amount of time on. Thank you!

Ditto that.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:17 PM »

Ditto that.

Yeah, pretty much the same here!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline RAD

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 06:11:15 PM »

Ditto that.

Yeah, pretty much the same here!

BD
Same
Love to cook and eat

Offline BlackC5

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 08:04:39 PM »
I am still new here, although I have already gotten excellent answers, suggestions about my pellet smoker quest and I have made my choice and posted that info.   Once I get my smoker/grill, I hope to be just as enthusiastic to others and help the next newbie the same as I have been helped.  Having said that, I had asked for membership in only two pellet smoker forums.  LTBBQAM and the other I will not mention.  I was thankfully accepted in both.  I think I have only posted a total of two questions.  I posted the exact same two questions respectfully on each forum.  What a difference in responses here on LTBBQAM.  Evidently, I am not allowed to mention a certain vendors name, from which to purchase a pellet smoker, on the other forum!  However, that same named vendor along with the three others I was asking about, are all appropriate here on our forum.   I am positive I will be buying products of some sort from all four of the vendors I had asked about.  They are all fantastic.  I have since requested that my account be deleted from the other forum.  It seemed like a very good forum to have belonged to but the response I got about having mentioned one particular vendor was uncalled for.  That particular vendor is highly respected and recommended, along with the other three on my list, here at Let's Talk BBQ and More.  This Forum is truly a cut above in respecting others.   I will not attempt to become a member of any other forum.  I do not need a response back to me about this post.   Just wanted to let everyone know what a great job you do in answering people's questions.  This truly is a Family & Friend's Oriented Community Forum.  Like chatting at a cookout about what interests us, no matter what vessel we cook on, there is something very good to appreciate about each one.