Author Topic: SCA Competition Steak Practice & Rub Trials  (Read 40721 times)

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
SCA Competition Steak Practice & Rub Trials
« Reply #-1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:10:18 PM »
Can you steak cooking pros help a rookie?? I hope to do a few SCA contests next year and could use some help. Would like to have some info on the judging process. I think I understand taste, presentation, and doneness, but would like to know how they judge texture? How many judges taste your product?

Searing vs Charring...all the winning pictures of the steak boxes show char marks on the meat. I would assume that real searing for that great nutty flavor from the Milliard reaction or caramelization on the steaks is not being taught to the judges because I just don’t see it in any pictures.  What say you? Is there any chance of winning with a real seared steak?

Ok, here is my setup for these events assuming I must have char marks to have a chance at winning.

I will be cooking steaks on my Weber Jumbo Joe kettle on this cold 33 degree morning.

I have a Stainless Steel charcoal basket that matches the size of my Grill Grates and also my Weber cast iron griddle if a fellow could win with that setup. I start with a full chimney of lump and pour about 1/4th of it cold into my charcoal basket. I fire up the remaining lump and add it to the basket and add a chunk of hickory.

I’ll go ahead and show the griddle setup but doubt if I will use it in competition steak cooking.

Add the grill grates and let it heat up for about 20 minutes.

Get my tools ready as it goes pretty fast.

I let the meat warm up for about 45 minutes. The full size steak is prepped with my favorite steak rub and and would be the steak I would turn in at a contest. The two half steaks are part of my on going rub trials.

Checked the cooker after the 20 minute warm up and found it at about 625 degrees on the Grill Grates and this should be perfect for the char marks.

Cooked my turn-in steak to medium and it looked pretty good coming off of the cooker.

Then cooked the two half steaks for my rub trials.

I think the competition steak looks pretty good.

I used all three pieces for the rub trials and my favorite still won out on this round.

Ok, does anyone know if the cooks use a marinade, maybe some oil, maybe a butter of some type? How about a finish rub? Talking about rubs, what are the cooks using? How much heat is being used in the rubs? Tell this rookie how to cook a winning SCA steak?

How did I do on my practice cook? What can I do to make it better?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:17:54 PM by Old Dave »
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: SCA Competition Steak Practice & Rub Trials
« on: December 04, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
Tim was a judge at the world championships two years ago , & I was there hanging with one of the teams.
After the judging tim pulled out a jar of moonshine ( real homemade ) and talked about the judging.
Teams get their steaks about 2-3 hours before cooking.
Since many of the comps are fund raisers the teams may have to cook a lot of steaks!
Several teams used big cookers for the regular steaks & small grills ( usually a Weber kettle ) for the turn in steaks
Grill grates were common , although I prefer an all over sear the crosshatch sear apparently gets higher marks for appearance.

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:35:20 PM »
If you could come down here and cook a few for me, I'd happily test them for you LOL.  No idea how it would fair in a comp., but it looks delicious.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 03:26:25 PM »
Dave-

There were 5 of us judging, and 84 competitors. I grew up not knowing that a pig could produce anything other than bacon....but it was sensory overload :D :D :D ( The contest was covered by the Food Channel..."Eating America" with Anthony Anderson )

With 84 competitors, there were as many different ways to do steaks as you can imagine. And - Grill Grates were a common site and were used to produce some beautiful grill marks. And - there were some that had figured out that they could flip the Grill Grates over - and get the Maillard reaction to occur over a greater surface area. No grill marks that way - but those are decorative and there is a move to less black "crunchy" marks because of the medical information/warning about burned red meats and carcinogenic risk increase. I am not voicing my opinion - just the current stuff that is talked about at this time....

Here were the things I looked for in a really good steak:

1. Color and appearance - what does it look like when I open the box?

2. What is the smell I get coming off of the steak?

3. Cut/texture - is it grainy or mushy? Over marinated or brined?

4. Correct doneness - Medium - not medium well, or medium rare...medium is the standard.

5. Taste and mouth feel - You get these at the same time - so it is hard to separate them.

I can tell you that most of them were pretty good. There were a few memorably bad ones ( Some guy thought that soaking and basting his steak in honey was "the" thing to do.... :-X.
The ones that stood out the most for me were ones that tasted like a good steak first, then had selective "supportive" flavors. Smoke profile was not part of the testing equation because there is no method of cooking that is not allowed. So- some had a hint of wood or charcoal flavor cooing - and some were obviously cooked using gas.

Hope that helps. I hope that Brett will have a chance to comment more on this as the head of the SCA.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

SCA Competition Steak Practice & Rub Trials
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
I found a picture of Tee doing the judging.  Look at the dedication on his face.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
Dave, Your steaks look great. I am with you on the overall crust vs. marks - to me there is a definite flavor difference. Same with burgers - nothing like a flat top for a good burger.

BTW - T went on to judge a hard boiled egg comp...

[attachment deleted by admin]
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 08:44:02 PM »
Not sure what is a winning "Judged" steak is, but if you made them for me you would be my 1st place. Dang they look good.
Love to cook and eat

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:27:34 PM »
Dave, Your steaks look great. I am with you on the overall crust vs. marks - to me there is a definite flavor difference. Same with burgers - nothing like a flat top for a good burger.

BTW - T went on to judge a hard boiled egg comp...

I think they still play that on late at nite....in smell-a-vision....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »
You cook and I'll keep tasting till ya get'er right, no matter how long it takes ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 07:40:53 PM »
Looks great to me Dave!

I heard that a salt surface brine on the steak overnight then a rinse the next day has created some winning steaks. Don't know if that is true but remember hearing that...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
Hey! Happy to see your interested in cooking at some steak competitions  ;D.  That is a really good looking steak! Nice appearance and doneness. When working on the TEXTURE part of the judging, this is where you see if it cut easily or not. ( you don't want to have to "SAW" it to cut it.) Next as you chew your steak, you don't want a lot of gristle. And remember, the judges won't have a $100 steak knife. ???  They will be using a plastic knife and fork.
If I can help in ANY way to get you ( or anybody else  ;) ) started, just let me know. It's a lot of fun and you will meet some nice people from around the World cooking steaks.
Also, be sure to check out the Steak Cookoff Association. Go to a Judges class and get more of the scoop on how it works. Good luck, and hope to see you at a competition in 2016!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »
I would also be interested in knowing what judges look for, but at home a steak cooked on a cast iron griddle is always a winner.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 02:16:42 PM »
You cook and I'll keep tasting till ya get'er right, no matter how long it takes ;D

X2

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC