Author Topic: The most expensive shot I never drank - Warning, Shaggy Dog Story....  (Read 1092 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
The most expensive shot I never drank - Warning, Shaggy Dog Story....
« Reply #-1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:48:06 PM »
Reading Dee's recent post about the $128 Bourbon, I was reminded of a particularly bad day many years ago.

I was a Marketing Director at Johnson Wax in Racine, WI. Near our offices on an obscure side street was a little pub - Kelsey's. It was a hole in the wall and the hole and wall weren't very big.

Kelsey's was known for a few things - the most obstinate, contrary owner you could imagine (his wife was a VP at Johnson's - he wasn't worried about the money.) No fruit in your drinks - he didn't like fruit flies. If you didn't finish what was in front of you (food or drink) you couldn't order something else. One of the best St Patrick Day parties outside of the east coast.

And, one of the largest / best collection of Scotches in the country. The entire back bar was Scotch, and the vast majority were single malts. His Nibs could talk intelligently about the varieties and complexities. The crowning bottle, literally and figuratively, sat at the top of the shelf and a single shot was rumored to go for $120.

One day, I was having a particularly difficult day and decided to cut out early, head to Kelsey's to throw some darts and maybe a Guinness or two. As I readied my darts, I thought, "What the heck" and ordered a shot of the best Scotch. His Nibs wasn't in, but the bartender was happy to take my money. I set the glass on the window sill and started throwing some darts.

A bit later a friend - the head of our Market Research group - came in. She knew what had happened and why I was upset, and where to find me. She walked right up to my shot glass, picked it up and downed it in one gulp....

Perfect end to a perfect day...

His Nibs heard about it a few days later and refunded my money - told me he would never have let me buy it... but he did have a good laugh at my expense.

Never tried to buy that one again.... I have always wondered how it tasted...

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline fishingbouchman

Golfed at Bandon dunes.  On of the bars there had a bottle behind lock and key.  Rumor was it was a bottle from Napoleon's locker and was 1000 a shot.  And the next time I went back it was all gone.  Not sure who was buying that day but wouldn't had mind being there incase he bought the bar a round
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Golfed at Bandon dunes.  On of the bars there had a bottle behind lock and key.  Rumor was it was a bottle from Napoleon's locker and was 1000 a shot.  And the next time I went back it was all gone.  Not sure who was buying that day but wouldn't had mind being there incase he bought the bar a round

:o :o ;D ;D ;D That would have been something!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #