Author Topic: The Good One Open Range  (Read 81204 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
The Good One Open Range
« Reply #-1 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:34 PM »
I think this review has perfect timing to it. There has been a lot of talk around here about stick burners (off-sets). I know a bunch of us love their WSM's and Kamado type cookers, but lets face it.......there is something primal and old fashioned about a stick burner. It is kind of like the way Que is meant to be. The problem with a stick burner is that you better have the time and patience to run one. It is almost like you season your meat,toss it in your smoker and spend the next 10-18 hours doing fire management. Another issue is that there is no "middle" ground when it comes to off-sets. You either buy a pile of junk one from the home improvement store. Or you spend 2000 bucks plus another 600 bucks for shipping for a high quality one. Granted, you can go on-line and do all these "mods" to get your POS off-set to work half way decent. Of course in 3 years you have to replace it, or change the bolt on fire-box. A bolt on fire box? Really. The fire box weighs 2 lbs and you wonder why it doesn't last.
There has been a pit out for a number of years that changes the playing field when it comes to off-sets. A unique design gets rid of the dreaded hot spots and wide temperature ranges in the smoke box. Nothing like having a 4 foot smoker chamber and only using 2 feet of it. i know, spend another 500 bucks on tuning plates. Now I started with a Charbroil Silver Smoker and have used well made 600 lb off-sets. I know the peaks and valleys of off-set fire-boxes. The other issue to consider is finding food to feed the beast. While being able to run briquettes in an off-set, you have a issue with ash build-up during long cooks. So your best choice is splits. Now for the bubbas that live where wood is easy to get to, how abour our city brothers and sisters. Gotta find a firewood outlet. Gotta go get it and stack it up yourself. When I lived in the valley I had to pick it up. Throw it off on the front lawn. Schlep it to the back yard. Then cut it to fit my fire-box size. Not all fire-boxes are the same size. Got to cut accordingly.
There is a better way.
The Good One.
Made in the USA, in the great state of Missouri.
The Good One has a fire-box that runs the entire length of the smoking chamber. There is a full length damper that controls the heat and smoke. Once dialed in, you hardly have to adjust it. This is almost a set it and forget it off-set. The model I will be reviewing is a Patio Model. The Open Range.
Here is a little company information from The Good One site:
The Good-One® Story

Made in the USA, The Good-One® Smoker/Grill was first conceived and built in 1988 in a small farm shop in Kansas. Due to the inefficiency and lack of consistent temperature control of existing smokers on the market, the inventor devised a unique offset firebox cooking chamber design that held even heat over an extended period of time. This led to a top end smoker/grill that took competition barbecuing to new heights and produced outstanding smoked meats and other outdoor cooked foods. It required significantly less attention than other smokers and grills. The success of The Good-One® resulted in the line being sold with the intent of taking it from a regional line to a national brand. The Good-One® has been sold to individuals, not only across the United States, but also in other countries throughout the world. In addition to the extensive line of smokers, Good-One also markets their own kiln-dried pure Oak, Pecan, and Hickory lump charcoal and flavored hardwoods especially for the product line. The Good-One® brand was improved even further when it was sold to Landmark Mfg. Corp. in March 2013. Landmark has been in business since 1959 and is one of the largest metal fabrication companies in the Midwest and was the current builder of several models prior to the sale. Going directly from manufacturer to the dealer brings a new level of flexibility, innovation and competitiveness. This ensures a continued high level of quality while giving The Good-One brand improved innovation and product development opportunities.

When the Three Little Pigs cooking team rolled into competitions, they had Chris Marks and The Good One smokers. An almost unbeatable combination. You are basically using a pit that is at home at The American Royal or on your patio.
This will be an ongoing review. Please feel free to comment or ask questions.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: The Good One Open Range
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:19:13 PM »
Here are photos of the pit:
Front view. Notice the two spinners on the fire-box and one on top of the smoker box. Tel-Tru thermometers are used as well.

Side view:

You can grill in the fire-box with the grilling grate. There are two grates in the smoking chamber (don't let the small size fool you)

Here is the damper handle

Here is the full length damper. It is just under the grilling grate that is in the fire-box

Fire-box empty

Here is the fire-box with the charcoal grate/ash pan. Just lift it out to clean. It is heavy duty and if it ever needs to replaced just call

Fire-box with the grilling grate installed (you can smoke and grill at the same time if so inclined)

Empty smoker box...You mount a grease bucket under it (included)

Bottom cooking grate installed

Top rack installed. Plenty of room and plenty of headroom for stand up chickens and large turkeys

The design of the smoking box lid enables the heat and smoke to swirl around the meat before exiting.
The spinners allow you to duplicate successful cooks.
The lids are 14 gauge new American Steel.
The body is 11 gauge new American Steel.
This pit will be around for a long long time.
You can close the damper when done cooking and the smoker chamber will cool off quckly. I used to clean my smoker box after supper and do the fire box the next day.

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 01:21:57 PM »
Disclaimer:

I used to be a Cowboy Dealer for Ace of Hearts BBQ. Ace of Hearts is no longer affiliated with The Good One. I am no longer a Cowboy Dealer. I am in no way affiliated with The Good One. I checked with Chris Marks before this review and got his blessings to do it here on the forum.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
After the leg assembly, it is time to season The Open Range.

When Ace of Hearts distributed The Good One, the preferred fuel of choice was lump charcoal. Preferably The Good One lump charcoal. On the Generation 1 Open Range that is what I used and it is an excellent lump charcoal. The stance has been softened recently. The Good Ones can operate with excellent results with lump charcoal, Briquettes or wood. Now since I have Kingsford stacked to the rafters, I will be using briquettes. Living here on the windy part of the mountain, I feel it is my duty to use briquettes. Sparks for lump could cause a big problem here. My backyard is forest. Please feel free to use your preferred choice of fuel in your Good One.

The Open Range comes with very detailed instructions.  Instructions?? I don't need no stinkin instructions!! Well you do when you purchase a Good One. Since I have a number of cooks on the older model, I just went for it  8)

I added two full size Weber chimney starters of un-lit Kingsford  to the fire grate in the Open Range. 10 lbs to be exact

i added 1/2 a starter of completely lit charcoal over the top (Minion method). After about 10 minutes I added a split of live oak.
(Warning, when using charcoal (lump or briquette) you only need maybe two fist size lumps of wood. These units are very efficient)The split was only for seasoning

I adjusted all spinners two turns out. I adjusted the damper to 11 o clock. The Open Range ran at 250 degrees for the next 7 hours. I could have gone way longer but it was bed time so I closed all the spinners. I closed the damper. The Good One fire box is air tight so you will have coals for the next cook
All Day!!

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

Nice looking pit!

I'm curious as to the temp near the grate above the firebox damper..   Can you shoot an IR gun in there next time?

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
Good looking cooking.  Where's the meat?  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »

Nice looking pit!

I'm curious as to the temp near the grate above the firebox damper..   Can you shoot an IR gun in there next time?

Will do Squirt.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 02:57:53 PM »
Good looking cooking.  Where's the meat?  :D

Spoke like a true Texan.  :)  Doing a spare rib cook for the initial cook. Since this is a review, I am holding all the pics of the cook to do at one time.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
Looks good but what about us Vertically challenged folks.    Is the upper box hard to deal with when the lower is rolling HOT??

Kinda looks like non-beer belly would hit it when tending to the rear box ??? ??? ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 03:19:50 PM »
Are you stalking me? I was just reading up on this unit.
Seems like it runs primarily on charcoal, can you cook with all wood on it?
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »
Tommy: the lid is reversible on the smoker box. Two bolts and flip it around.

1Big_er: you could run all wood, but that would defeat the purpose of how the pit runs. There would be more fire management with all sticks.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »
Here is the link to The Good One Open Range page on their web-site. It gives off specs and more information than I might have left out

http://thegood-one.com/smokers-grills/the-open-range/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 08:54:06 PM »
While I am a Proud Bubba with a fresh huge pecan limb to cut up soon...and thank the lord I'm physically able to do so.  I am happy to see this write up.
  I saw a unit similar to this a couple months ago and have been wondering about them. The one I saw may not be as well made. It was at Academy Sports and almost half the price so probably not.
 It Looks like a really good concept. I really like the add on rack box for the top. With the predictability of char coal one should be able to ace this after a few cooks.
It looks like a unit you could keep forever with a little good care.
Thanks for the review.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »
While I am a Proud Bubba with a fresh huge pecan limb to cut up soon...and thank the lord I'm physically able to do so.  I am happy to see this write up.
  I saw a unit similar to this a couple months ago and have been wondering about them. The one I saw may not be as well made. It was at Academy Sports and almost half the price so probably not.
 It Looks like a really good concept. I really like the add on rack box for the top. With the predictability of char coal one should be able to ace this after a few cooks.
It looks like a unit you could keep forever with a little good care.
Thanks for the review.

I was giving the same unit the hairy eyeball on the Academy Web-site and it is definitely a knock-off design. The Good Ones are built like tanks and if you follow the instructions included (with a few tweaks here and there) this pit can be mastered on the seasoning process  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:24 PM »
The older generation Good Ones had painted side shelves. Those shelves are now gone and you can order the optional SS shelve. This sucker is stout.
It just hooks on the fire-box. Handy for grilling or setting your grub on when getting the smoker box ready.

Here is the kicker. If you choose to put the smoker lid in the reverse position, it also hooks on the smoker box for easy loading and unloading. When you want to grill, just slip it on the fire-box
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven