Author Topic: The Good One Open Range  (Read 78904 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: The Good One Open Range
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41:22 PM »
The good one sells replacement parts for the charcoal grate & ashpan!
It's like a weber the things that can burn out can be replaced for a fraction the cost of a new cooler!
The old country smoker has the firebox on the backside of the cooker , it's not practical on my deck with a rail.
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
What do you say we cook something on the Good One Open Range? What to cook? What to cook? One of my personal nemesis': ribs.
Trimmed up some spares St. Louis style.
Sprinkled on lightly Three Little Pigs Touch of Cherry followed with a light dusting of Three Little Pigs Kansas City Sweet

I used about 7 lbs of unlit briquettes and added just about half a chimney of lit and let the pit come up to temp. With the damper at 11 o clock the Open Range hit 250 in about 20 minutes.
On go the ribs

Yesterday when seasoning the pit, I went a bit overboard and used a off-set sized split of wood. Way to much for a regular cook. The design of the lid makes the heat and smoke swirl around the food before exiting through the top spinner. I used a small pc of hickory and a small pc of cherry for the smoke.

No spritzing, no peeking, look at this beauty 5 hours later

Wendy said these were the best ribs I have made her so far. She loved the rubs. Not salty and you could taste the meat. Not oversmoked. Just perfect. Sparky would be proud

Notes about this rib cook:

The pit held all day at 250. It didn't budge. Beautiful blue smoke. Plenty of charcoal left over for the next cook. I checked the temps every 30 minutes for the first couple of hours and did not come back out to check it until the 5 hour mark. The Open Range was sitting on 250. Just amazing for an off-set.

Next cook should be this weekend. See you then.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 09:49:26 PM »
The good one sells replacement parts for the charcoal grate & ashpan!
It's like a weber the things that can burn out can be replaced for a fraction the cost of a new cooler!
The old country smoker has the firebox on the backside of the cooker , it's not practical on my deck with a rail.

That's right LA. The first generation of Good Ones had the charcoal grate welded in the fire-box. Then there was a full length ash pan that ran the length of the fire box. While being easy to clean there were problems with left to right or right to left burns. Didn't bug me none, since the temps were so stable and you had the full length damper. If the charcoal grate warped or needed to be replaced, there was problems with it being welded in place.

Chris solved this by making the charcoal grate/ash pan one pc. Cleaning is super easy and you are one phone call away from getting a new one if you need a replacement. With no pull out pan the charcoal seems to burn very evenly. Which is not a big deal with the damper.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:28 PM »
So 2.5 chimneys of charcoal all day? That's pretty good indeed.
 Do you see there being any wind issues if in the open?
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »
So 2.5 chimneys of charcoal all day? That's pretty good indeed.
 Do you see there being any wind issues if in the open?

Super good question. We had thunderstorm cells around us all day. No rain during the cook but very breezy to windy.....heck..it is always windy here.

Using the spinners, you have a very narrow opening between the spinner and the firebox body. That temp stayed at 250 all day without budging.

Yesterday during the seasoning process it was windy as well. I just could not believe that this pit help temp so steady. I know the pit comes with a Tel Tru but it could be defective. I use two Tel-Tru's that I have had and it was 250. For 7 straight hours.

Keep in mind that the 2.5 chimneys would have lasted much longer. After the 5 hour rib cook, I closed up the spinners and the damper to save the charcoal for the next cook. Not sure how much was left but it was more than I expected  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »
I got to say those ribs looked fantastic.  Love the color.  I have to try that rub.  Oh, the pit looks interesting too.  It doesn't look very big.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
Good write up Smoke! Yes very interesting offset.  And before I forget great looking ribs! I'm hunger-struck all over again!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 11:58:58 PM »
Could you fill up the entire charcoal box and lite one end.  Fuse burn kind of.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 12:12:55 AM »
Could you fill up the entire charcoal box and lite one end.  Fuse burn kind of.

You probably could. You have two spinners on the front of the fire-box.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 12:18:20 AM »
I got to say those ribs looked fantastic.  Love the color.  I have to try that rub.  Oh, the pit looks interesting too.  It doesn't look very big.

When I got my first Generation Open Range when I was made a Cowboy Dealer, I thought the same thing about the size. However, looks can be deceiving cause ya got no hot spots to deal with. I used to cook 3 full size pork butts on the top grate. You have plenty of headroom. 3 beer can chickens are no problem. I can put 2 spares per cooking grate for a total of 4 ribs using the lower grate. I once "rolled" four spares on the top grate with 2 spares laying flat on the bottom grate for a total of 6 racks of ribs. The Open Range will hold a full packer brisket on each grate. i smoked 24 hamburger patties, 12 on each grate. I saw a pic on The Good One Facebook page where someone smoked a small suckling pig on his Open Range. He took out the top grate and had it on the bottom grate.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:24 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention is that you could grill and smoke at the same time!!

Let me give you a scenario:

You are doing a long brisket cook and it is mid-day and ya get hungry.  You go to the fridge and there are some beef sausages setting in there just waiting for you to cook em up.

You grab them and you go to your Open Range.

You close the damper for a bit. This way the meat you are smoking gets no odors from your grilling. Dont worry, those 14 gauge lids and 11 gauge smoker body will retain the heat for a bit.

You pop open the fire-box lid and you slip in the grilling grate.

Grill up your sausages.

Take out the grilling grate (with your high heat gloves)

Close the fire-box lid and open the damper back to 11 o clock

Back to smoking....... :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
How long can you smoker with a filled charcoal box?. I seen on a video only 6 to 8 hours?. Is that true smoke?.  I like this smoker.  I'm a charcoal guy so this works for me.  Being able to smoke ribs and cool a hot dog at the same time.  Very cool.  How do you refill it while cooking and how do you clean the ash out of it?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:13:00 AM by sparky »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
The ribs look outstanding and a great looking design on that smoker.

The $1200 price range for that build quality seems reasonable to me.

I like the ability to grill and smoke at the same time too. And that it runs on charcoal.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
How long can you smoker with a filled charcoal box?. I seen on a video only 6 to 8 hours?. Is that true smoke?.  I like this smoker.  I'm a charcoal guy so this works for me.  Being able to smoke ribs and cool a hot dog at the same time.  Very cool.  How do you refill it while cooking and how do you clean the ash out of it?

I am getting an hour a lb on Kingsford Briquettes. You can really fill the firebox up with lump or briqs. I got 7 hours out of 10 lbs of Kingsford when I seasoned it. I had plenty left over.

Your fuel is burning from the top down. To add fuel (which you might never have to) simply pour fuel right on top of the existing coal base.

To clean the ash out is super easy. The charcoal grate is welded to the ash pan. You simply lift the entire assembly out and pour out the ash.

I will post a picture this morning of the cleaning process.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 10:07:40 AM »
The ribs look outstanding and a great looking design on that smoker.

The $1200 price range for that build quality seems reasonable to me.

I like the ability to grill and smoke at the same time too. And that it runs on charcoal.

I found a great deal for you guys. Now while I recommend everybody be patient while I go deeper into the review before you buy an Open Range.

If you cant wait here is a sweet deal.

FireCraft has the Open Range for  1,099  with FREE FREIGHT SHIPPING  They also carry The Good One natural lump charcoal that they cover the shipping for

I just want everyone to know that I did not do this review to help sell units for Firecraft or The Good One.......but, if The Smoke knows of a good deal, you know I will let you know  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven