Author Topic: Need a recommendation  (Read 32356 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Need a recommendation
« Reply #-1 on: November 08, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »
I read a lot of posts here about the smoker tube and all have been positive.  So, I need a little knowledge and advice.

I visit my daughter and son-in-law in St. Aug. every Thanksgiving.  Recently,my SIL has begin to show interest in doing more than steaks on his grill.  He's got four burner stainless steel gas grill, of the Lowes/HD variety.  I don't remember the label, but it isn't a Weber.

Anyway, he asked me to show him how to do a pork butt when I come down this time. He even said that he would buy whatever was needed.  When I asked he meant, he said a smoker.  I told him to hold off on that until we had a chance to talk about how deep he was planning to get into this.

So, my thought was, pick up a tube and use the gasses for this round.  LIke I said, I've seen you guys expound on the virtues of this "A-Maz-N" product, but I have a couple of questions before I place my order:

1. How does the thing actually work?  I mean I know it's a tube filled with some sort of pellets. But how do you light it and keep it going?

2. Which one would I need for the application mentioned above?  (6", 12",2x6")

3. Would 2 lbs. of, say, Pitmasters Choice be sufficient for two butts?

I figure if I order it this week, and have it shipped directly to Fla., there shouldn't be a problem with it getting there in time.

I value all of your opinions, so all comments are welcome!

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Need a recommendation
« on: November 08, 2015, 12:11:11 PM »
I read a lot of posts here about the smoker tube and all have been positive.  So, I need a little knowledge and advice.

My thoughts in bold. There will be others that can offer more perspectives - thesis just what comes to my mind at the moment:

I visit my daughter and son-in-law in St. Aug. every Thanksgiving.  Recently,my SIL has begin to show interest in doing more than steaks on his grill.  He's got four burner stainless steel gas grill, of the Lowes/HD variety.  I don't remember the label, but it isn't a Weber.

Anyway, he asked me to show him how to do a pork butt when I come down this time. He even said that he would buy whatever was needed.  When I asked he meant, he said a smoker.  I told him to hold off on that until we had a chance to talk about how deep he was planning to get into this.

So, my thought was, pick up a tube and use the gasses for this round.  LIke I said, I've seen you guys expound on the virtues of this "A-Maz-N" product, but I have a couple of questions before I place my order:

1. How does the thing actually work?  I mean I know it's a tube filled with some sort of pellets. But how do you light it and keep it going?
Fill it will cooking pellets ( food grade - Todd will sell you additional, and we have another sponsor or 2 here that sell pellets as well ) and use a propane or MAPP gas torch to light it. Get a good flame going, then remove the torch. The flame will die back in a few minutes - then the pellets will smolder like charcoals. Lay the tube int he pit horizontal, and out of the way of the meat - close the lid. Leave the pit turned off for cold or pre-smoking. Simple as that. It should stay going until all the pellets are ash.

2. Which one would I need for the application mentioned above?  (6", 12",2x6")
I like to cold smoke a pork but for 3-4 hours before firing up the pellet grill. I just get a better smoke profile without over-smoking it. And - then I can cook at 275F which is usually a bit too warm to get enough smoke flavor on the meat -  I find that I use the 12" one the most - but that is a function of how I use it, and the space I have. You may want 2 - 6"...or what ever works for you.

3. Would 2 lbs. of, say, Pitmasters Choice be sufficient for two butts?
Probably....But - you will want to have more - I would look at a larger quantity. While we are talking...order yourself a tube. You can use it for cold smoking cheese, nuts, Chex mix ( 'tis the season! ;D)

I figure if I order it this week, and have it shipped directly to Fla., there shouldn't be a problem with it getting there in time.

I value all of your opinions, so all comments are welcome!

Hope that helps a little. Seriously...Get one for yourself and play around with it. I think it will give you another option or tool to use that is really fun.

BD
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Need a recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 01:04:42 PM »
I would grab a 6" for shorter cooks (like cold smoking a rib-eye before grilling) and the twelve inch for butts and briskets. I use wood chips in mine with pretty good results...however I have found pellets seem to work better (smoke slower).
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32