Author Topic: 6 inch chef's knife  (Read 1840 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
6 inch chef's knife
« Reply #-1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:02:55 PM »
Like many of you I have a lot of knives.  The ones I use predominately are a 10" chef's knife by Mercer given to me by my son in law the chef, a boning knife by Victorinox the make of Swiss Army knives, and a paring knife.  The other day I was watching a chef and he was using a 6" chef's knife to dice onions.  That looked pretty good so I decided to get one.

I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought a 6" Victorinox chef's knife for about $35. Boy, was that a smart thing to do. I find myself using that knife as much as any other and it is extremely useful and wish I had done it long ago. So, if you don't have a 6" chef's knife I recommend you get one.  It will make things much easier.

I really like the Victorinox knifes and they are recommended by Cook's Country.

I prefer to buy my knives from open stock rather than in sets because there are some in sets I would not use.

Don't laugh at the Miracle Blade II knives.  I gave my daughter a set over ten  years ago and she gave me one that's sort of like a small cleaver and a scraper. It is serrated and great for cheese and potatoes and is exceedingly sharper.

So, there's some info on knives. If you want a great sharpener don't forget that Chef's Choice XV that I recommended back in September. It changes your knives from 20* to 15* for sharper knives.  Somewhere here is a thread on that.

Knives are perhaps the most often used piece of equipment we cooks use.  Research and get the best and remember, highest price does not always equal the best.

Dee

This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline old sarge

Re: 6 inch chef's knife
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »
We have a couple of the Victorinox knives and they are great.  Most of our knives are Chicago Cutlery, purchased decades ago.  We have 3 6 inch chef's knives; they are the ones my wife is most comfortable using.  It is her go to knife for most tasks. All are very easy to steel between sharpenings. Also have a Dexter pizza knife and a piece of Lamson Sharp.  Also very good. I recently bought some pieces of Rada and Old Hickory strictly for use outdoors when cooking on the patio.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:30:01 AM »
I am with old sarge, I have had Chicago cutlery for a long time, a 6 and a 10 inch chefs knife, two paring knives and a set of steak knives. I have a cleaver too but keep it hid from the wife! :) . I like them since they are easy to sharpen.

My wife had bought a set of Cutco knives and had them when we got married. I told her she paid way too much but over the years I love those knives. They are about 50 years old, made in the USA and guaranteed for life. In the past few years they replaced my boning knife and carving knives and my kitchen shears free of charge. I use the old bread slicing knife almost daily and sharp as new. The blades were all serrated but recently I bought their smooth blade slicing knife and it is great.

My wife bought me a coppertail 6 inch chefs knife for Christmas one year. I gave her heck for paying $50 for it but I use it all the time. I recently bought a Victorinox 6 inch trimming knife from my butcher and I love that thing for trimming fat from roasts; sharp as a razor.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

6 inch chef's knife
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 10:00:39 AM »
I use my 6 inch ceramic knife almost daily. I really like it. After that is my Victorinox knives. My high end Henkels see some use, but not as much as before.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 10:22:13 AM »
I was in Costco the other day and one of the vendors they had there demonstrating was Cutco. They have knife sets over $1000! I had no idea they had a line that expensive.  Wow.
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 01:26:38 PM »
According to my wife, I have far too many knives and cookers... in a rational moment, I might even understand her position. I do have a nice collection of knives, but like you, I find myself reaching for the 6 incher most of the time. Mine's a Shun and is scary sharp. Outside, I use a couple of knives I picked up in Ecuador - carbon steel and very sharp. A big one and a smaller one.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline highball

• South of Seattle
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:37:29 PM »
My favorite knife of all the ones I own is the 6 inch carbon steel Peasant Chef's Knife from Lee Valley

[attachment deleted by admin]
Weber 26
Blackstone Griddle
Green Egg
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Performer
24" Discada
RT-700 Bull

Best Regards,
 Mike

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 11:19:52 PM »
Mercer knives are great. I'm eyeing one of their 6 inch chef knife.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer