Author Topic: Electric Pressure Cooker  (Read 23701 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Electric Pressure Cooker
« Reply #-1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »
t

Electric pressure cooker / multi cooker.
Basically a heavy pot, a bottom 1500 W heater, an insert pot & electronics to monitor temp & or pressure.
They all cook basically the same the major difference is the electronics & the materials used.
Most have timers, multiple presets for rice, slow cooking, sauté, & searing & even yogurt.
The common prices vary from $70 for the cusinart which is basic, to $200 for an instant pot with blue tooth iPhone & android apps able th turn on , adjust temps without touching.
I got the Cusinart recently, & was asked how I like it.
Well I use stovetop pressure cookers frequently. I have a 65 y/o presto 4 at. & an eight quart innova.
  As a pressure cooker the electric is so much easier! No starting on high flame , decreasing when to pressure & then playing with the heat.
The electric comes to pressure & cuts back so pressure remains but no dancing bobbin.much quieter than a standard.
  Well it works great as a pressure cooker, what else can it do. As a rice cooker works well for white rice cutting total cook time from 35 minutes to 15 minutes ( heating water, cooking rice & 5 minutes setting time. For brown rice it shines. Brown rice takes such a long time in a pot or rice cooker I rarely would cook it.  In a pressure cooker about 30-35 minutes, just load  & when cooked fluff.
   It also will work as a slow cooker, equivalent to low on a slow cooker, main thing is no burning on bottom of pot.
  The cookers also have searing & sauté settings, works fine for the meat & veggies you plan on cooking in the pressure cooker but doubtful you'd use for anything else.
In summary I like it. Easier to use than I thought. I was a little skeptical that I'd like better than my stove top but I do. I've cooked Red Beans & Rice, navy bean soup , corn on the cob, white & brown rice & chicken soup. So far it's great
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: Electric Pressure Cooker
« on: May 25, 2016, 08:52:30 AM »
Lost Arrow:  I too have purchased an electric cooker and it is much easier to use than the stove top type.  I have trouble overcooking  rice as it is too sticky.  I see your post about rice, but do not understand your method totally.  Please give me some guidance on how you do your rice.  Pressure cooker works good to finish off corned beef too.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »
I have the Power Pressure cooker XL and I just love it. I also have several of the old ones that I will be getting rid of. Mine also has a slow cooker in it. Best thing since sliced bread.  just sayin   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 09:29:15 AM »
I have the Power Pressure cooker XL and I just love it. I also have several of the old ones that I will be getting rid of. Mine also has a slow cooker in it. Best thing since sliced bread.  just sayin   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I have one of those as well, I love it
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:27:26 AM »
I think the Cusinart would be a good choice for me.

I don't really need Bluetooth or Wifi on my pressure cooker :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
I'm on the other side of the street on this topic. While it is personal preference,  I adamantly prefer non-electric pressure cookers. I bought a Fagor 8 qt from QVC about 18 years ago, and loved it. It was simple and easy to operate. The only bad thing was that the QVC model had a non-stick coating on it's pan. I semi-retired it a couple years back as the non-stick coating was starting to wear. Non-stick coatings are toxic. I suppose I could still buy a stainless bottom for it but I bought a Kuhn Rikon 8 qt.Duromatic. It was an investment for sure but it will probably be the last pc I will ever need. The manufacturer has been in business a long time and the few parts that could wear out will always be readily available. Swiss-made quality has no comparison! I shy away from "press it and forget it" items. Their electronics generally have a much more shortened lifespan. But as I said to start off, it's all personal preference and I mean no disrespect to anyone who prefers the electric versions available.
One thing they all share is putting out healthy food in a much shortened wait time! A pc is a great tool in the arsenal!

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »
I still need anyone's help on how they cook rice with an electric cooker? http://letstalkbbq.com//Smileys/akyhne/smiley.gif

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »
I have the Power XL pc and for
white rice
2  cup  long grain white rice 
16  ounce  water 
1  teaspoon  oil 
Pinch of salt (optional) 
Place the inner pot into the Pressure Cooker.
2. Add the rice, water, oil and salt.
3. Press the RICE/RISOTTO button once to select White (6 minutes).
4. Place the lid on the Pressure Cooker, lock the lid and switch the pressure release valve to closed.
5. Once the timer reaches 0, the cooker will automatically switch to KEEP WARM. Press the CANCEL button. Let the steam naturally release. When the steam is completely released, remove the lid.
6. Fluff rice with a fork and serve.

Brown rice
Servings  4 
2  cup  brown rice 
18  ounce  water 
1  teaspoon  oil 
Pinch of salt (optional) 
1. Place the inner pot into the Pressure Cooker.
2. Add the rice, water, oil and salt.
3. Press the RICE/Risotto button. To select Brown. Press the TIME ADJUSTMENT button until you reach 18 minutes.
4. Place the lid on the Pressure Cooker, lock the lid and switch the pressure release valve to closed.
5. Once the timer reaches 0, the cooker will automatically switch to KEEP WARM.
6. Press the CANCEL button. Let the steam naturally release. When the steam is completely released, remove the lid.
7. Fluff rice with a fork and serve.

Works great.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:42:33 PM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
We do a bunch of crock pot cooking on cold days up here, never thought about a pressure cooker though........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
I bought a Fagor 8 qt from QVC and we really like it.
We use scrub daddy to clean the inside pot - works great with not scratching.  At my age, I don't need one to last 18 years.
If not for the electric model, we wouldn't have one. 
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Elzic

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 08:06:21 PM »
We have the Cuisinart Electric and use it fairly often.... my wife even made a cheesecake in it.

It's our go-to for quick pasta:
Set the cooker to Saute, cook your protein and veggies of choice in a bit of oil
Once they're brown/cooked through, add a little wine (1/2 cup-ish) to deglaze
Add about 1.5 cups of water, 1lb penne, stir, and top with a jar of sauce.
Add enough water to be level with the pasta.
Close it up and set to high for 5 minutes.

one pot, super easy, and quick after work.

I used to cook dried beans in it until I found out how much better baking them in a big cast iron pot is...
Elzic
Norfolk, VA
Novice Producer, Experienced Consumer.
Big Easy SRG