Author Topic: suckling pig on weber kettle rotisserie  (Read 26899 times)

Offline Durham Smoker

suckling pig on weber kettle rotisserie
« Reply #-1 on: June 04, 2016, 05:17:03 PM »
any advice?  I'm thinking 1/2 chimney of lit coals over pile of unlit banked to one side only.  The pig will be 15-20 lbs.

Probably rubbed with olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper and maybe some garlic.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: suckling pig on weber kettle rotisserie
« on: June 04, 2016, 05:24:56 PM »
Have no experience there but cant wait to see the responses and results.

Offline NickyDeuce

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:32:21 AM »
  While I have never done one myself, I believe 12 lbs is pretty standard and will feed 8-10 people well.  I'm afraid 20 lbs wont fit in the kettle, but I really have no idea.
Weber Kettle 22"

Pit Barrel Cooker

"Southern barbecue is the closest thing we have in the U.S. to Europe's wines or cheeses; drive a hundred miles and the barbecue changes." - John Shelton Reed

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »
Not sure about the rotisserie but a smaller suckling pig can be done on either the 22-1/2" Weber kettle or the 22-1/2" WSM. It is a very tight fit but can be done.

A fellow would need to use some twine to try the front legs to the rear legs and then maybe do something with the nose to get it into a ball that wouldn't measure no more than 20 inches in diameter to be able to fit it on the rotisserie. With the length down to about 20 inches, the width would be about the same and I am not sure you could get it to balance out right for the rotisserie. Not really sure if you would have enough height in the rotisserie setup either.

Be sure to post some pictures of this cook as it sure does interest me.

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 11:08:42 AM »
I have seen this done before on a Weber Kettle Rotisserie, and it's definitely doable with a suckling piglet.  The advantages with the rotisserie is that you can utilize the full diameter of the grill, and the rotisserie attachment gets the piggy down low enough that you don't have to worry about the lid.

The vast majority of cooks on our Weber Kettle have been indirect.  I like to bank coals just on one side (like you plan to do) with a foil pan under the food.  Make sure you place the vent on the side opposite the hot coals so heat is drawn across the grill.  Using this method it's amazing how even the heat is.

Dave's mention of trussing and balancing the piggy is important!  Here's a video that shows how to truss & balance it for a Kettle Rotisserie:
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68